Duke Energy Center - 48 Story Office Tower in Charlotte

dubone

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone see the light show last night? It was unbelievable. I felt like I was in Hong Kong watching it. I went to Icehouse last night with some friends and we had a 5 minute conversation just about the light show. DEC is really elevating uptown on the Charlotte attractions list.

Did anyone see the light show last night? It was unbelievable. I felt like I was in Hong Kong watching it. I went to Icehouse last night with some friends and we had a 5 minute conversation just about the light show. DEC is really elevating uptown on the Charlotte attractions list.

I saw it going nuts when I got out of my class in uptown. The green is wicked. Definitely fun to watch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

According to the observer, the DEC will start displaying a 2-minute light show once per hour on the hour beginning tonight at 8:00.

I like the idea of the hourly shows, and not for too long either. I think it's a cool thing to tell visitors - "Look up at the DEC at the top of the hour for a show!" Not exactly as exciting as the fountains at the Bellagio, but still pretty cool - an hourly mini-event.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/08/17/1628169/duke-building-light-shows-start.html

So will they get to move that stupid window-washing crane now?

Could be worse... I get to see the two or three on top of 1 Bryant Park out of my office window everyday, hidddeous...

hey gang, dx here. Haven't posted in little over a year (literally), but have read the threads when I could to catch up the goings on. Anyhow, I was at the game a last night to catch the new look home team since I got some tixs off ebay dirt cheap. I left at halftime since the game was essentially meaningless. But I did manage to take a few photos of the Duke Energy Center building. Since the boys were playing, blue seems to be the color of choice that night :thumbsup: Sorry for the crappy photos, I was lit up by half time and this was the result of bad photography from an HTC Evo.

dec2.jpg

dec1.jpg

I thought it was pretty damned cool that the building lit up like crazy last night when the Panthers scored, and apparently that's the plan to continue during night games according to last night's broadcast. It almost seemed like the whole building was sparkling. Hopefully there will be some more scoring during next week's game so we get to see it a bit more often.

Great picture of the building and its lighting display! You may also follow us on Twitter @DukeEnergyCntr or learn more about the development at our property website http://ckp.bz/dec.

Welcome to the forum, EnergyLED! Brilliant work y'all have done! Two questions:

• the url doesn't work--is there a typo in the address?
  • when is that blasted crane at the top going to be lowered into its well so we don't see it from the ground?

Thanks, and again, welcome to the group!

I'm beginning to wonder if Bank of America is going to even bother lighting up for Panthers games now that DEC outshines it so incredibly. I was driving home late from work a few nights ago when the blue lights were on, man it was gorgeous, I definitely have a new favorite building uptown. I always look out for it in particular any time I see the skyline up close or from a distance. I was never really a skeptic about this tower, but man did it exceed my expectations.

Can anyone get any pics or video for the DEC when it lights up when the Panther's score? It looks awesome!

I will try for the next game as my building in Uptown has a roof deck. I took a freind up there last night to see the lights when they changed on the hour and forgotten all about the pnthers score light changes.

Just received this via e-mail:

"

Stonewall Street is closed this morning in front of the new DukeEnergy Center due to safety concerns with a cracked exterior pane of glass onan upper floor. Parkers under the building should use the Church Street.entrance and exit this morning.

Repair work is under way.

"

Archived