Duke Energy Center - 48 Story Office Tower in Charlotte

dubone

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Just received this via e-mail:

"

Stonewall Street is closed this morning in front of the new DukeEnergy Center due to safety concerns with a cracked exterior pane of glass onan upper floor. Parkers under the building should use the Church Street.entrance and exit this morning.

Repair work is under way.

"

So 10 days later there is STILL a missing pane of glass up around floor 35 (?) on the Stonewall / Morehead side. While its not _my_ office I do have to say it gives an otherwise impressive building a very trashy vibe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is an article from the Observer about the DEC rainbow lights. I guess it's too bad Wells Fargo didn't give a more immediate and direct response, but who cares? Most people didn't even realize what the display was, except for those individuals that it was intended for. Of course, some of the comments are interesting if you're bored and want something extra to read..Charlotte Observer

Here is an article from the Observer about the DEC rainbow lights. I guess it's too bad Wells Fargo didn't give a more immediate and direct response, but who cares? Most people didn't even realize what the display was, except for those individuals that it was intended for. Of course, some of the comments are interesting if you're bored and want something extra to read..Charlotte Observer

the vast majority of the comments were really positive, so that's good, but i wasn't thrilled with the tone of the actual article. it seemed a little...scared.

I thought the article was a little bit lame as well. Columnist seemed to be trying to make a point that didn't exist (not the lights but the response time). I've worked in media relations before and sometimes there just is a several hour gap between reporters question and response. It really isn't that unusual.

Very pleased with Duke for doing this. Seems to make Charlotte seem less small town and that;'s good for everyone.

• 2 months later...

Finally, a few new additions to the retail spots at the Duke Energy Center.

1) Flex + Fit () will be opening a 10,000 sqft fitness center. It won't be your typical gym. It will actually be more of a facility for fitness classes, yoga, pilates, etc. Additionally, Johnson & Wales culinary students will conduct cooking classes at the facility (I think this is a great idea; local students teaching classes). This facility will employ about 50 people when it opens in May.

2) Celebrity chef Emeril Lagasse will open one of his signature restaurants here. I've eaten at his restaurants in Orlando and Las Vegas and thought they were pretty solid. This will be a nice break from the steakhouse and sushi obsession of uptown.

I thought that they were adding some sort of heating element to melt snow/ice accumulations on the angle portion?

Well, apparently idle speculation on this board from years past was not picked up by Duke (or the architects, TVS).

Police have closed Stonewall and Tryon streets around uptown's Duke Energy Center because of ice falling from the 48-story office tower.The ice can be heard cracking and, occasionally, large sheets or slivers are crashing to the ground or onto part of the building below. Police said no one had been reported injured.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/01/11/1972269/ice-falling-off-duke-building.html#ixzz1AkliXaGH

• 2 weeks later...

There are some more retail announcments for the Duke Energy Center in addition to Emeril's restaurant and the fitness facility:

1) Q Sundries & Dry Cleaning, a convenience market that recently opened on the lobby level in the Duke Energy Center.

2) Energy Café, a quick-service restaurant that will open its second uptown location in the second quarter.

3) Mizan, a Mediterranean restaurant and lounge that opens in the second quarter.

4) Emzy Asian Sushi Bar, an Asian fusion/sushi restaurant opening in the third quarter.

#4 makes me cringe though. How many more of these do we need in uptown?

4) Emzy Asian Sushi Bar, an Asian fusion/sushi restaurant opening in the third quarter.

#4 makes me cringe though. How many more of these do we need in uptown?

by my count for sushi we have: Room 112, Enso, Fujo. (Fiji closed). There are a few other places to get sushi but they're not predominantly sushi restaurants, like Cosmos Cafe, Fuse Box, and Press.

for Asian fusion we have Kalu, and I'd kind of put it in a class of its own anyway.

then there's Thai Basil, Wok, and Tin Tin to round out the Asian restaurants, but those are neither fusion nor have sushi (I think).

its a lot, but I think the griping over the number of sushi restaurants is a little overblown given how popular a cuisine it is. that said, if Emzy isn't a unique take on the sushi bar, it might force one of the others out.

KO Sushi for carryout.

Other Asian: Chinese place in Latta Arcade, plus Fujiyama for carryout in Latta Arcade.

And Soho Bistro on College below the Hearst tower. I go here when I'm in the mood for Chinese. (Sesame Shrimp and Sha Cha beef every time!)

How is Nikko doing? I know it was big a couple years ago, but I wonder if its taken a hit since all these new places have opened up inside the loop?

right I forgot all those as far as general asian restaurants go. however it sounds like this new place will be gunning for Enso's spot more than anything.

Nikko seems to be pretty stable and doing well. It has its loyalists but I did jump ship for the lower-priced and equally good Room 112 when that opened.

anyway getting back to the Duke Energy tenants, I'm really excited for Mizan. that's a niche thats not really present uptown yet. it's going to be a nice strip of restaurants along with the already open and IMO AMAZING Halcyon.

After all these lease signings, does anyone know how much retail space will be left at the DEC? Seems like a lot of things have come to fruition there recently. With this influx of new openings, I'm hoping that someone finally comes in and fills that empty spot at the parking deck of the Catalyst site. Every time I'm at a Panthers game I always think that would be a great place to walk over and eat after a game.

:offtopic: To answer Mobuchu's question on Nikko, it's still running strong. I've ridden by there twice in the last couple of weekends and it still has a packed house.

• 2 months later...

Meant to post this earlier but forgot about it. This is a little amateur video I took of some of the proposed scenes in December when the lighting was being tested. Some of the scenes are a little jumpy because of how it was being controlled that night (remotely versus on site).

Archived