Duke Energy Center - 48 Story Office Tower in Charlotte

dubone

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how many elevator shafts are currently built.  That would be the primary determination in my opinion of what size office building can go.  If they had 5 plus a 1 elevator...that would be good for maybe 225k sf office building....so maybe 15 floors with 15k sf floor plates on top of what alraedy exisits....just guessing here, don't have any knowledge of this project.

If you go to Google Earth you can see the outline of the structure that would be used to build this.  You can clearly see the outline of the elevator shafts.  Looks like an even number, probably 4 or 6.  I assume someone on here could simply walk in that building and see how many they have...I am in South CLT or I would.  Or maybe someone with a good idea of elevator size could guess how many there are based on the image.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Charlotte,+NC+28202/@35.2245887,-80.8485258,86m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x8856a02f9bcde3d5:0x14ee3fc7dbe0f273

This feels like old news but its a big deal nonetheless. The CBJ is reporting that Wells will open a trading floor in the power tower next month. Wells will move its traders from One Wells Fargo into the new trading floor. The WF Securities Markets Divisionis trading operations is led by two locally based executives and Charlotte is the home of 1,500 of 4,000 investment bankers (the largest cluster of WF investment bankers).

http://www.bizjourna...-charlotte.html

Given the size of the trading floor in the Power Tower I suspect that this move pressages a long-term expansion of Well's investment banking activity in Charlotte.

In other news the Mint Museum will be taking over the 5th floor of their building which was built as shell space. No word yet on what their plans are.

The new "rumor" of office tower certainly makes reading the last few pages more interesting. Like Wells Fargo turning down mutiple developers, etc.

Though, there hasn't been anything substantial about this possible office tower yet presented. No possible time frame, no context. How reliable is the source. Is it in the early planning stages where it's just an idea it could be office or is it pretty advanced. I obviously don't expect any critical details or details that would get anyone in trouble. But even just knowing is the source reliable or whether it's just early planning stages would at least clear up some of the confusion.

This is big news...Presubmittal meeting scheduled today for the tower above the Mint museum. 31 stories of residential planned. Not sure if it's rental or condo. RJT&R is the architect. They did Element. 

WOW! That is big news, hopefully its condos, we have ENOUGH apartments.

Plus condos at this location could fetch a very pretty penny.

RES24.jpgRES22.jpg

These are old renderings right??

WOW! That is big news, hopefully its condos, we have ENOUGH apartments.

Plus condos at this location could fetch a very pretty penny.

RES24.jpgRES22.jpg

These are old renderings right??

You are correct: old.

So how significant are submittals again? That means its fairly advanced or somewhat advanced?

:) hope this & Bearden gets built. South Tryon is on fire

This is what happens when the city is hitting every population and job projection out there.  The economics report for 2015 Charlotte is apparently the most positive we've seen.  Even more so than the party time boom days of the mid-aughts.  We bout to blow up.

Yea... Sh*ts about to get real... This is the evidence.

adding 31 residential floors above the existing Mint Museum. the base of the building, including all underground parking and street entrances to remain as is

To be precise, the note inicates its a 31 story addition, on what is a 6 floor base, so this would be 37 total floors, 1 taller than The Avenue, for the 2nd tallest residential tower.

I believe the original proposal was 42 stories as rendered.  Same architectural firm involved.   I actually suspect this is an apartment AND condo tower, but just a guess.  I would think you could do the top 8-10 floors condos, and the rest apartments.  The only issue might be the desure for 2 separate lobbies/elevator banks, which could be tough at this point. 

Wells Fargo who owns the site, certainly could internally fund this to make a all-condo project, but it seems unlikely that they would pursue that, just given the # of units in a building this side.'

To be precise, the note inicates its a 31 story addition, on what is a 6 floor base, so this would be 37 total floors, 1 taller than The Avenue, for the 2nd tallest residential tower.

I believe the original proposal was 42 stories as rendered.  Same architectural firm involved.   I actually suspect this is an apartment AND condo tower, but just a guess.  I would think you could do the top 8-10 floors condos, and the rest apartments.  The only issue might be the desure for 2 separate lobbies/elevator banks, which could be tough at this point. 

Wells Fargo who owns the site, certainly could internally fund this to make a all-condo project, but it seems unlikely that they would pursue that, just given the # of units in a building this side.'

Does Wells Fargo typically fund projects like these? I know they are pretty conservative when it comes to building new office towers unlike some of the other big banks. Not sure if they have a similar approach to residential projects, specifically higher end towers.

Ton of photos:

3560929792_c44fc480b7_o.jpg

Looking at what's there now, it appears that the building footprint will have to remain essentially the same as those renderings above. They obviously can do whatever they want as far as materials, but I'd still expect a lot of glass. Anyone know what the original unit count was? Looks like it's about a 16,000 SF footplate, so if it's apartments, it would be about 14 units per floor. The lobby is already in place, but I'd assume amenities will be on the roof. Assuming 30 floors of units, that's 420 units. I'd imagine they'll have larger penthouse style units on the top levels which will cut that down some, but that seems like a lot of units. Makes me think the comment about apartment and condo could be right. 

Here is a link to the original Center City Partners summary.  It describes it as 46 story condo, so 40 stories on top of the 6 stroy Mint Museum.  It list the unit count at 326.  Originally, it was some crazy high unit number likt 500-600 units, but I was at the design charette where the head of Wachovia real estate at the time said they were downsizing the number of units and making them much larger, with lots of 3 bedroom floorplans, essentially because they thought there was demand from the investment bankers/traders that were going to be in the building to want to live nexts door due to their long hours.  If I remember correctly, I think the average unit cost was going to be around $700k.

http://www.fmwrealestate.com/pdf/wachovia_first_street.pdf

For comparison sake, Avenue has 27 residential floors (9 floors of parking) and 386 units on a similar size foot print.  I agree that if this is mostly 1 and 2 bedrooms, it would be around 420 units.....which seems a little high, which is why I suspect it is more like 22 floors of apartments at about 310 units, and then another 60-70 units of condos on the top 9 floors.  I actually think this works, even if there are only 6 elevators.

As far as Wells financing it, I really meant they are the equity owner of the air rights still, so they COULD fund it easily, not that condo/apartment making construction loans are something they actively pursue.

I'm ready for Christmas & New Years to hurry up so we can get these announcements rolling, find out dates, renderings, jobs announcements etc.

I hope this one rises up ASAP. This & Bearden are the 2 residentials I really want to see. Primarily because they are so tall

MODERATOR NOTE:

This history of the previously planned condo tower will remain in this topic for history, but we will leave the separate topic for the new apartment tower being built by Childress Klein here:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/116829-mint-museum-apartment-building-42-stories-church-and-1st/

This topic will remain to discuss the office tower. 

• 4 months later...

http://www.wcnc.com/story/weather/cameras/2015/01/26/uptown-camera/22345755/

Holy Crap, take a look at the webcam at the guy dangling from the top, scariest job ever.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-04-27 at 3.07.36 PM.png

I saw some crazy stuff in China.  Nothing like hosing off the roof of the rec center of the Four Seasons Shenzhen with no safety equipment.  Just leaning over the edge like it's no big deal.  I came back from a meeting and saw this from my hotel room window.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1551501_741273919627_1622778691_n.jpg?oh=9f680a6894d7cf25cba43a7bf51a6c08&oe=559B8225

• 2 months later...

Archived