Duke Energy Center - 48 Story Office Tower in Charlotte

dubone

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on the height they were set to and where the handle is suppose to be, I would think yes. Does anyone know what floor they are on with the steel?

Forty-Five on the short side, in the last picture. The top of the short side is floor 48, so its three floors from the top of the short side. I think its at 46 or 47 on parts of the taller side, and the core is at 48. The core is the start of the 4 floor space between the top floor and the handle.

It's going to be looking pretty sweet in the next several weeks when that "handle" portion starts coming together. If you look at the tower from where the Nascar HOF is at, you can get a good inidication of how it will look.

We are more than several weeks away from the handle. Here is a crude diagram of where we are, and what is left, keep in mind the nascar hall of fame faces the shorter side of the building.

stuff.jpg

photo courtesy of InitialD

edit: Actually after revisting my diagram and changing it, it seems there is much less work that I thought left. Seems we are on floor 46 or 47 on the lowest point, and floor 49 at the core.

I must say that I am glad this tower has a different form of pinnacle than most of our towers. We either have crowns, spires, or boxtops (I'm not sure of the proper architectural terms), so this will represent a different type of top than any of our other buildings.

It really is an impressive building. Too bad it symbolizes our economic struggles in an ironic way.

If we're going to put up a skyscraper that will be that prominent in the skyline for 100+ years, then yeah, I'd like some originality. Iconic architecture is definitely not Charlotte's strong suit. The Bechtler Museum and Gantt AACC are probably the best things we'll have for the next few years.

If we're going to put up a skyscraper that will be that prominent in the skyline for 100+ years, then yeah, I'd like some originality. Iconic architecture is definitely not Charlotte's strong suit. The Bechtler Museum and Gantt AACC are probably the best things we'll have for the next few years.

Better go tell that to every city in the world with a Frank Gehry building.

I disagree 100%. I think Bank of America tower is while not the most modern building in the world, quite iconic. There are many people out there that consider it one of the best looking and iconic buildings in the southeast

Bank of America is certainly one of the most beautiful buildings in the Southeast but iconic....not so much. It is a great contrast to that "thing" across the street (Hearst Tower). Would have to be in my top 5 ugliest built in the past 10 years.

I also must DISagree with that, that is the first time I've heard the hearst called ugly in my life. I've never met anyone that wasn't completely impressed by Hearst Tower.

I think BofA tower for a tower in that height range is one of the best looking towers in the USA. If you include all buildings than that would be different because there are many buildings much shorter that I would consider excellent, scattered throughout cities across the US.

The Hearst tower I think is the second best looking highrise in Charlotte. For me, it looks better standing close to it looking up at it than seeing it from far away. I don't know how anyone can call that building ugly either but hey, to each his own! I am beginning to think that the new Duke Energy Tower may become the second best tower in Charlotte but I won't say for sure until it's COMPLETELY finished. Even if the D.E.Tower turns out as nice as I hope it will, I still don't think it will replace BofA as Charlotte's iconic tower.

You know, there's probably someone, somewhere that thinks Yosemite Valley is the ugliest place on earth. :dontknow:

I also must DISagree with that, that is the first time I've heard the hearst called ugly in my life. I've never met anyone that wasn't completely impressed by Hearst Tower.

Ditto... I've never heard anyone call Hearst Tower ugly... I think it's nothing short of impressive. There are some towers in uptown that aren't exactly in my top 10, but this definitely one that is.

I, at first, thought the Hearst Tower was unimpressive and ugly. It didn't look right to me at a distance. However, after seeing it's details and getting to see it up close I have grown to like it and actually I like it the best of all the Charlotte towers at this point.

However, the Duke Energy Center, I'm not saying it's ugly but it's style is completely unlike anything built in Charlotte and in a way I worry it may stick out like a sore thumb.. I'm going to reserve judgement until it's completed.

I know someone who says that BofA tower and Hearts tower were both ugly. He said the BofA tower reminds him of L.A. architecture.....and he hates L.A. apparently.

Ha. I guess for some people Hearst is not to their taste, but BofA Corporate Center? I suspect a number of the people on UP were around when it was built, I believe the slogan they used during construction was: "Rise of a Classic Skyscraper". Pelli designed it to be in the style of classic towers like ESB and Chrysler Building, and I think they did a darn good job!

If we're going to put up a skyscraper that will be that prominent in the skyline for 100+ years,....
100 years!!? I would be surprised if it lasts 40. People will be tired of it in 25 years and will want something else.

------------------------

With the exception of the Hearst tower, which gets a B- for this, the vast majority of Charlotte's skyscrapers, especially the ones built by the 3 big banks, are disasters at the street level. They look good from the distance, but that is about all that is good that you can say for them. The cost to the city for their construction has been miles of streets that are faced with blank walls, parking decks, and nice buildings demolished for even more parking to support these monsters. IMO, with the exception of the building of I-277, the building of these towers has been the worst urban planning mistake to hit downtown since the end of WWII.

Sadly, they continue to get it so wrong.

the banks are NOT getting it right by building skyscrapers that do not pay any attention to the street what-so-ever. Just because one makes a fortune does not mean they are "getting it right". Usually it's the greedy mofo's that only care for themselves that make the fortune, unfortunately.

Archived