The 2009 UP Predictions Thread

GRDadof3

The Business Journal has an article today asking local developers what they think of 2009 and things we might see downtown:

John Wheeler - possible students housing "along the West banks of the Grand River", Davenport University redevelopment, new retail and food establishments along South Division, ICCF Wealthy and Division launch this year, 35 Oakes redevelopment started

Dave Levitt, 3rd Coast Dev. - transit oriented proposals for the BRT and streetcar, possible announcement of a health related project near VAI

Sam Cummings - a new restaurant or two (with possibly a few closing), talk of a new class A office tower reemerging later this year

Jack Buchanan - predicts a bad year for downtown, other than his project on Ionia

Anyone else got any predictions?

I think we'll see at least one if not two new redevelopment projects proposed for Heartside, more baseball stadium talk, and maybe even a renewed talk of a PAC this year (only because Gretchen Minhaar talked about it in the Press this weekend). Retail openings in EQ3, Hopson Flats, and the buildings on Commerce that have sat empty for a while. Oh, and the expansion of the BOB kicked off, minus hotel tower and condos for now (oh to see another surface lot destroyed would be grand).

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is some Wyoming focused ones.

A new Meijer store will be proposed for Studio 28th Site to be opened 2010.

After that I do not see any new facilities in that area. I am certian that wyoming will get a final plan for the redevolopment on 54th and Division area. Hopefully the planning commission there puts full support and makes sure it gets devoloped in the correct manner. I do not see any new buildings in that area until the line gets built.

I think something might actually happen with the Press facility this year. With all kinds of people there being offered buyouts, declining revenues, and all that unused space and land they have (6 or 7 parcels worth TENS of Millions and fully taxed), things will come to a head and their parent company will be entertaining massive cost-cutting options.

I predict WOOD TV8 will get ahold of a small piece of information regarding the confidential aspects of a new downtown development and they will flog it until it dies a lonely horrible death and then they will tell us how lucky we are to have them bringing us the inside scoop.

I think something might actually happen with the Press facility this year. With all kinds of people there being offered buyouts, declining revenues, and all that unused space and land they have (6 or 7 parcels worth TENS of Millions and fully taxed), things will come to a head and their parent company will be entertaining massive cost-cutting options.

I predict WOOD TV8 will get ahold of a small piece of information regarding the confidential aspects of a new downtown development and they will flog it until it dies a lonely horrible death and then they will tell us how lucky we are to have them bringing us the inside scoop.

A silver lining in a rather dark 2009: Easttown, Cherry Hills, and East Hills retail, restaurant and small business scene will at least hold steady, if not grow slightly, while the two lifestyle centers never get off the ground.

Centerpointe Mall goes backwards fast with two gaping holes (Steve & Barry's and Klingmans)

Rylee's breaks ground on their new Michigan Street Ace store

Something actually happens with the old Get 'em and Go on Michigan Street

New home for GR Opera finally gets off the ground

Icon on Bond gets sold to other investors, thus lowering the price of the units and it begins to fill up with owners

I have a bunch of wishes that would be nice if they came true, but that might be for 2010, 2011 and 2012 :)

If the Press is going to continue to produce newspapers of that size, they'll need to rid themselves of some office space. I think that was the thinnest paper I'd ever received from them. It was more like the Holland Sentinel than the Grand Rapids Press. I was looking for sections "C," "D" etc. and realized there was only an "A" and "B." Region, Business and Your Life were all buried in section "A." Doesn't it seem like the Press is becoming just a collection of wire reports with very few pieces written by Press writers?

Sorry, I'm going... :offtopic:

I was shocked to see just the two sections. I'm guessing that will be a permanent change for weekday issues?

It seems like the Press could sell all their properties downtown ($10 Million+ I'm guessing) and move into space in a Ren Zone or something.

How many people are now working downtown since all the presses moved out to I-96? My guess is there are plenty of properties downtown that would easily fit their staff.

If the press building goes, hopefully something could finally happen with the old hotel across the street...that whole area would be very close to a street car stop by DeVos Place, which only increases all of its value and redevelopment potential.

Somewhere around 200 - 300 people at the downtown facility, from what I've been told. I have to imagine that RDV and/or Secchia wouldn't mind getting their paws on that land. The county would still get their property taxes, and if they stayed downtown, the city would still receive city income tax from the employees.

Not to make this all about the Press.

Somewhere around 200 - 300 people at the downtown facility, from what I've been told. I have to imagine that RDV and/or Secchia wouldn't mind getting their paws on that land. The county would still get their property taxes, and if they stayed downtown, the city would still receive city income tax from the employees.

Not to make this all about the Press.

Archived