Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gs3

U.S. Bicycling Hall of Fame

32 posts in this topic

That would be such a great addition to the attractions in Greenville! I had no idea that this was being pitched.

It would be great to have such an attraction along the Swamp Rabbit Trail downtown, though, I'd be most in favor of adding such an addition to Heritage Green or its immediate surroundings. Strategic placement of a museum or such space could be the catalyst that's needed to connect HG to Main Street.

Obviously, there's going to be some stiff competition, but hopefully Greenville can win this thing. It's definitely fun to speculate about...

Wow, I have never heard anything about this. Thanks for passing the article along. I'll have to ask around.

Very interesting. Any word on when the people in charge will make their decision?

That would be excellent for the Upstate, although after doing a bit of research, it does appear that Greenville is fighting a major league uphill battle (perhaps the reason we haven't heard about this before). Just look at where the current hall of fame is located and the impressive proposal in nearby Morristown, NJ, plus the apparently growing local support there, and the fact that the public in Greenville isn't even aware of the proposal here. There's always reason to hope though. :)

That would be excellent for the Upstate, although after doing a bit of research, it does appear that Greenville is fighting a major league uphill battle (perhaps the reason we haven't heard about this before). Just look at where the current hall of fame is located and the impressive proposal in nearby Morristown, NJ, plus the apparently growing local support there, and the fact that the public in Greenville isn't even aware of the proposal here. There's always reason to hope though. :)

I wouldn't mind seeing this at the proposed GO Center myself. It would be right along the bike path and would help spread downtown out more. :)

I had completely missed this thread and just read about this in the TBA's in this week's Journal. The word needs to get out on this in a big way and we need to rally public support for this here locally. Greenville, in my mind, is the best choice for this by far.

As for a possible location - why not put it right between the Kroc Center and Linky Stone Park along the Reedy River / Swamp Rabbit Trail? That location seems absolutely ideal to me.

Another follow-up article from Morristown with a video: http://www.nj.com/morristown/index.ssf/200..._competiti.html

This is too good of a location for the USBHOF to waste it on housing...it'd be IDEAL. That's a shame.

I agree, but there are plenty of other locations next to that site that would be ideal for this too including Riverplace phase III, Camperdown condos site, and the GO Center.

We really need to build some community support here locally, regardless of the possible site location.

I have asked around, and I still don't know who even initiated this. If it wasn't the City, then who? Just curious if anyone knows.

I haven't a clue, myself, James. I would have expected this was some sort of organized effort on the part of the city? Is it not? Regardless of who initiated the effort, they've got my support.

Still no more word on this, other a brief blurb in the Greenville Journal (that probably came from this thread). Anyone heard anything?

Isnt GREENVILLE one of the most bike friendly cities in the US? :rolleyes:

Isnt GREENVILLE one of the most bike friendly cities in the US? :rolleyes:

Exactly. There is still tons to be done, but what the city has accomplished so far is something to be very proud of.

I am detecting a bit of sarcasm in that statement. I do think that Greenville is a nice place to ride, but if you compare us to places like Davis, Portland, Boulder, Madison, Palo Alto, etc., we have a long way to go.

Yes, the City will be applying soon for BFC designation, but it will be a long time before we are in the league of the current gold and platinum designated communities. It is something to shoot for though.