U.S. Bicycling Hall of Fame

gs3

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be such a great addition to the attractions in Greenville! I had no idea that this was being pitched.

It would be great to have such an attraction along the Swamp Rabbit Trail downtown, though, I'd be most in favor of adding such an addition to Heritage Green or its immediate surroundings. Strategic placement of a museum or such space could be the catalyst that's needed to connect HG to Main Street.

Obviously, there's going to be some stiff competition, but hopefully Greenville can win this thing. It's definitely fun to speculate about...

That would be excellent for the Upstate, although after doing a bit of research, it does appear that Greenville is fighting a major league uphill battle (perhaps the reason we haven't heard about this before). Just look at where the current hall of fame is located and the impressive proposal in nearby Morristown, NJ, plus the apparently growing local support there, and the fact that the public in Greenville isn't even aware of the proposal here. There's always reason to hope though. :)

That would be excellent for the Upstate, although after doing a bit of research, it does appear that Greenville is fighting a major league uphill battle (perhaps the reason we haven't heard about this before). Just look at where the current hall of fame is located and the impressive proposal in nearby Morristown, NJ, plus the apparently growing local support there, and the fact that the public in Greenville isn't even aware of the proposal here. There's always reason to hope though. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I had completely missed this thread and just read about this in the TBA's in this week's Journal. The word needs to get out on this in a big way and we need to rally public support for this here locally. Greenville, in my mind, is the best choice for this by far.

As for a possible location - why not put it right between the Kroc Center and Linky Stone Park along the Reedy River / Swamp Rabbit Trail? That location seems absolutely ideal to me.

Another follow-up article from Morristown with a video: http://www.nj.com/morristown/index.ssf/200..._competiti.html

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I am detecting a bit of sarcasm in that statement. I do think that Greenville is a nice place to ride, but if you compare us to places like Davis, Portland, Boulder, Madison, Palo Alto, etc., we have a long way to go.

Yes, the City will be applying soon for BFC designation, but it will be a long time before we are in the league of the current gold and platinum designated communities. It is something to shoot for though.

Archived