Charlotte Crime Stats

The Observer reports today that police records show some surprising changes from 07 to 08. I'll say I'm surprised at some of these considering the economy -- I would have thought some would increase as jobs and money have been harder to come by.

Homicide up 11%

Rape down 5%

Robbery down 6.5%

Burglary down 7.9%

Residential burglary up 0.3%

Commercial burlary down 26.7%

Larceny down 8%

Vehicle theft down 12.5%

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was also pleasantly surprised. The violent incidents have definitely slowed in Dilworth after a series of them in the last year.

Of course lower rate or not if you are a victim it does not matter. Below is a post from Idilworth.org's crime blog from this week. A homeowner on Floral has been repeatedly hit. Three incidents total in less than a year. Unreal. The timing of the break ins makes them believe they have been under surveillance from the robbers.

My apt in downtown Charleston was robbed once. Slept through it and woke up to a pretty empty place. That was bad enough, going through it over and over again would be incredibly draining and stressfull.

" Wanted to let everyone know that our house was broken into again on Floral Avenue - the third time in 6 months. Once again, we had blinds drawn, windows and doors locked and deadbolted, and alarm on. And once again they kicked in our carport door and were probably in and out in less than 2 minutes. They managed to make it through the house and got away with stuff from several rooms throughout the house, including 2nd floor bedrooms. The responding officers suspect the same repeat offenders that have been in and out of jail many times over the past few years (of course), and certainly the same guys that got us twice before. They suggest that our carport makes for an easy target since it provides shelter from sight. Two interesting points: 1) each of our break-ins has occurred on a Monday; and 2) this was the first day my wife was away from the house for extended AM hours since we had our son nearly 4 months ago - either someone was watching our house or that's one heck of a coincidence. "

The culprits were then caught after this latest break in this week. And released right out the door on bond the same day.

• 3 weeks later...

A car was stolen off Worthington in Dilworth recently. I will let the post on Idilworth's crime forum tell the tale :

"Just wanted to let you know that our babysitter had her car stolen this evening while she was at our house watching our boys (600 block of E Worthington). If anyone sees a 2003 Corolla with license plate WSL 7058 please let us know. She is really shaken up since she had many valuable personal items in the car (including a laptop). "

Response from Officer Gilliland:

"...the vehicle was recovered on Jan 24th in the Little Rock apartments, just off West Blvd near Billy Graham Pkwy. At the time of the theft, several items of value were inside, including the victim

• 2 weeks later...

In January crime statistics continue to improve dramatically in spite of the economy (http://charmeck.org/Departments/CMPD/Prevent+Crime/Crime+Statistics/Home.htm)

Property crime and violent crime were down 21.5% and 31.5%, respectively. Homicides were unchanged at 6.

Boy the news media doesn't jump all over the story when it is that crime has decreased...

Boy the news media doesn't jump all over the story when it is that crime has decreased...

Well they haven't had quite the response as when the crime was spiking, but there have been some decent stories on WCNC and CLT.com.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know if the progress can be directly attributed to Chief Monroe, but I lived in Richmond durring his tenure and noticed a big turnaround in the crime in that city. When I first moved there, Richmond was the 2nd highest murder rate per capita in the country. And when I left, it not even on the radar. Many sections of the city that were "off limits" turned around. So I give him the benefit of the doubt for knowing what to do.

While the overall crime rate is thankfully down my neck of the woods is going through another boomlet. Aside from Moe's on East getting robbed again, a house on Scott was robbed this week. The owners were apparently watched all day. Only left the house for a few hours in the early evening and came back to an empty place. And Scott is a very busy road but apparently they just backed in and loaded up.

Last night, I was at the Met TJ's and was speaking to an employee who lives in the quad two down from me. He lives on the second floor and last week his neighbor downstairs was robbed. Happened around midnight, the guy was home, they forced him into the bathroom and ransacked the place.

This AM I was walking a client's dogs in Sedgefield and a guy came down the driveway to ask me if had seen anything odd on his block yesterday afternoon.

A couple of guys cleaned his place out yesterday.

Rather unsettling to say the least :unsure:

So i looked at CrimeinCharlotte.com and it seems there has not been a murder in charlotte in 23 days, thats gotta be some kind of record. I hope we keep up the pace and have a relatively safe year. In NYC we are down 29% this year in violent crime, and it seems Charlotte is doing pretty good as well.

Had an interesting experience on my stretch of Park Rd in Dilworth last night. Around 10:00 a guy slowed down in front of our building and flashed a strobe light into all of our apts in the quad. Then he left his car idling and wandered around the building, knocking on doors. My neighbor upstairs called the police. They arrived a good ten minutes later and said they would patrol more frequently.

I did not get outside fast enough to get a plate or a good description but this is not the first time we have had people loitering around us. A homeless woman lived behind a shed in our parking lot last year before she moved on after we tried to give her shelter info.

Not even a half hour later, someone driving a pickup truck rolled to a stop in front of us. A pedestrian walking by said she looked stoned or drunk. Before we could get a good ID or plate the truck started slowly weaving down the middle of Park crossing both lanes heading to Tremont. So we called the police again. 15 minutes later a cop rolled by but of course it was too late. I know police have to prioritize calls but this person could have killed someone and herself. Would think the response time would be better.

It's only conjecture but we think this could have originated from Ed's Tavern. The place has gotten a very bad reputation in the neighborhood after a short time. There is a thread dedicated to them on Idilworth.org. Mostly focused on noise complaints, there have also been a series of fights culminating in a patron exiting the bar through the front window last summer.

I can see them from my porch and the music does not bother me much, it's part and parcel of the urban cacaphony you buy into when living in a city. Ed's has just not been a good neighbor. There have been repeated requests from nearby residents for them to tone it down a little. With very little result. One of the main reasons the very cool house next to Ed's is on the market stems from exhaustion and being sick of living next to a circus.

• 10 months later...

Dude. My apartment was broken into today. This is so surreal. All they took was the TV (gee, how's that for a silver lining). I came home from work and my back door was standing wide open - it had been forcefully kicked open, the frame is completely busted. And they obviously tried to kick in the front door first, but they either realized they were standing out in the open of a public way, or the door held tough. It's cracked around the deadbolt, but not broken.

Now I'm just freaked out that they'll come back for the stuff they didn't take. My laptop was sitting out in my bedroom, and there was a Wii and dvd player sitting right under the TV.

This day just rocks.

• 2 years later...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/01/02/3760081/charlotte-homicides-drop-to-24.html

Looks like Homicides are down to a 24 year low!!!! 

Unfortunately as of the last day of november, pretty much everything else was up...

With that said, the rates are more or less proportionally on par with our population boom

Through the end of November, the preliminary total for Index Offenses was 3.0% higher than this time last year.  Property crime increased by 2.1% while violent crime increased by 9.5%.

• 49 homicides were reported through November, compared to 50, resulting in a decrease of -2.0%.

• 1635 robberies were reported compared to 1440, resulting in an increase of 13.5%

• 206 rapes were reported compared to 195, resulting in an increase of 5.6%.

• 2931 aggravated assaults were reported compared to 2716, resulting in an increase of 7.9%.

• Burglary overall was down -9.0%, (7011 compared to 7704) with a decrease of -7.4% in residential (5253 compared to 5672) and a decrease of -13.5% in commercial cases (1758 compared to 2032).

• 1981 vehicle thefts were reported compared to 1951, resulting in an increase of 1.5%.

• Total larceny cases increased by 6.5% (20789 compared to 19524) with the larcenies from auto up by 3.3% (7745 compared to 7495).

• 174 arson cases were reported compared to 173, resulting in an increase of 0.6%. 

^Saw the story this morning.  I'm glad to see the homicide rate go down.  

That said the increase in aggravated assaults and the point in the story  about quicker response times/better emergency medical treatment also playing a role in reducing the number of people who die in such assaults (versus shot and lived) tempers my enthusiasm somewhat.

The map linked in the story was interesting namely where the murders happened.  

^Saw the story this morning.  I'm glad to see the homicide rate go down.  

That said the increase in aggravated assaults and the point in the story  about quicker response times/better emergency medical treatment also playing a role in reducing the number of people who die in such assaults (versus shot and lived) tempers my enthusiasm somewhat.

The map linked in the story was interesting namely where the murders happened.  

Make sure you scrutinize the map carefully. The one that is listed downtown was actually at the Knight Hotel near the airport. 

Archived