Flat Iron, Herkner and Groskopfs Buildings to be renovated

GRDadof3

100, 112 and 114 Monroe Center are all going to undergo a $4.5 Million renovation. Apparently the upper floors have been mostly vacant for many years, and will be renovated and combined into one building. The renovation project is seeking LEED Certification, and was recently awarded Brownfield Tax Credit status.

I thought the building was mostly occupied. Whaddayaknow.

139937198_7f66e18269.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pinch me, I must be dreaming - the Kendall Building yesterday and this today. There is a god.

No, if there were a god (in the sense that you speak), the news would be that there is a new, multi-floor, department store (H&M??, new urban format Meijer??), where you could purchase all sorts of goodies only available in the suburbs or outskirts of town, relocating to this very spot once it was remodeled.

But yes, this is awesome news!

I didn't think these buildings need a renovation. Are they being renovated into residential condos from unused office space?

Apparently they do need renovation. :dontknow: They are looking a bit tired from the outside (around the window frames mainly). And no not residential condos, at least according to the city.

Apparently they do need renovation. :dontknow: They are looking a bit tired from the outside (around the window frames mainly). And no not residential condos, at least according to the city.

wow 4.5 million for some paint around the windows... Im in the wrong profession

100, 112 and 114 Monroe Center are all going to undergo a $4.5 Million renovation. Apparently the upper floors have been mostly vacant for many years, and will be renovated and combined into one building. The renovation project is seeking LEED Certification, and was recently awarded Brownfield Tax Credit status.

it's awesome news...any corroboration anywhere?

it's awesome news...any corroboration anywhere?

Yes, from the City (are you waiting for an article from the mainstream media? :P )

I also got confirmation from the developer. Interestingly too, the upper floors are three separate buildings that will be combined into 9000 square feet per floor footprints. The buildings date from 1860 to 1870, and some of the spaces haven't been renovated since the 1940's. The Groskopfs building (above the store of that name) is completely vacant. The Herkner Building is entirely vacant.

Yes, from the City (are you waiting for an article from the mainstream media? :P )

I also got confirmation from the developer. Interestingly too, the upper floors are three separate buildings that will be combined into 9000 square feet per floor footprints. The buildings date from 1860 to 1870, and some of the spaces haven't been renovated since the 1940's. The Groskopfs building (above the store of that name) is completely vacant. The Herkner Building is entirely vacant.

City's ED department issued a release today regarding the project. Developers had planned to do the same next week. Look for an article in Monday's GRBJ. I also have a feeling there may be a video story of this in an upcoming Rapid Growth!!

Not the prettiest way to do this, but you get the gist. Monroe Center is on fire lately!

post-2672-1231507682_thumb.jpg

post-2672-1231507694_thumb.jpg

post-2672-1231507705_thumb.jpg

Let me help you with that GRDADof3. Below is the full text of the release.

3 DOWNTOWN GRAND RAPIDS HISTORICAL LANDMARKS TO UNDERGO $4.5 MILLION LEED RENOVATION

Upper floors of Flat Iron, Herkner and Groskopfs buildings to be combined

Nearly 32k SF of office space will offer historical character with modern conveniences

GRAND RAPIDS, MICH.

forex?

ding ding. It's not nice to out anyone's real life if they don't want (and I don't know the details, but I think I know who). Suffice it to say, someone on this board works at Forex, probably in a reasonably important position. That's the reason for the comment, I believe. :)

ding ding. It's not nice to out anyone's real life if they don't want (and I don't know the details, but I think I know who). Suffice it to say, someone on this board works at Forex, probably in a reasonably important position. That's the reason for the comment, I believe. :)

I figured that because it had been revealed and discussed on this board in the past, it was OK. It was done as a good natured joke. So if it is inappropriate, please remove.

I figured that because it had been revealed and discussed on this board in the past, it was OK. It was done as a good natured joke. So if it is inappropriate, please remove.

As far as I know, you didn't mention anyone's name. :dontknow: But, yeah, it has been mentioned before. Not everyone reads every thread, so it doesn't always get around.

I don't think you did anything inappropriate.

• 2 weeks later...

The article that follows the video also indicates that they have a letter of intent for the recently vacated Herkner space. ;)

Yeah, they mentioned that they had several seriously interested parties. So one way or another, we should see that space filled fairly soon (after renovation that is).

Yeah, they mentioned that they had several seriously interested parties. So one way or another, we should see that space filled fairly soon (after renovation that is).

I'm surprised that Groskopf's hasn't bought out the lease and shuttered the storefront so that no other luggage retailers can move in there to compete with them. :P:P:P

Archived