Glenwood South miscellaneous developments

Jones_

Nothing big, but I noticed a rezoning sign (on the ground) in front of that 1970ish building across North Street from Hibernian. They are removing the parking lot zone and also the OI&I. This effectively allows buildings that fit better with the small area plan with minimal setbacks and no parking needed. No way of knowing if this rezoning is just to increase the value of the parcels to sell them, or if Blue Ridge Realty is in fact cooking up a plan to build something. I think BRR also owns the building Sushi Blues is in, and they are going to build a patio on the parking spaces there, so they have already demonstrated a willingness to improve the area and forgo parking spaces to improve urban form.

Mods-I could not find a general Glenwood South thread....

Edited by orulz

• 2 years later...

Though it's not related to the project that is the topic of this thread, but it is mentioned in the first post. ChiefJoJo noted this project several years ago in a different thread. They are going to trade in their tiny parking lot with just 9 parking spaces for what will be one of the biggest, most prominent outdoor dining spaces in town.

Not only that, but the actual net loss of parking spaces will be somewhere in the range of 4 or 5 once the curb cuts are filled in and replaced with on-street spaces.

I was thinking it should have been pulled up to the street and then had some employee parking tucked in underneath it. At least the original retail spaces on the corner were left there and the new building looks good material wise. The patio space should work nicely with the Hibernian space next door

• 4 months later...

Now we know what they're planning in place of the 70s-ish building across North from Hibernian: The Gramercy, a 7-story, 209-unit mixed use apartment building. The design is nothing special. It reminds me a lot of 222 Glenwood. It includes retail spaces along Glenwood, and the frontage of North Street is activated by the leasing office and the fitness room.

Larger scope than I would have thought, going all the way to Boylan and all (bye bye 100 year old church). This makes 4 apartment complexes in the Glenwood area plus Hampton Inn and Carolina Ale House. Maybe it will all shift from annoying club central (with fights, puking, shooting etc) to a livable neighborhood.

• 1 year later...

New Raleigh is reporting on their facebook page that a grocery store/ restaurant combo is in the works for Glenwood South.  I like the idea of putting it on the ground floor of the Link Apartments.  Would be centrally located for most of the downtown residents (maybe a bit of a hike from the Fayetteville St area) and easily accessible for Five Points residents just driving down Capital Blvd (or eventually biking down the extended West St).

It would also explain why we haven't heard any news about Link Apartments in awhile?

Personally, I'd like to see something like the Safeway in the Pearl District of Portland, but I suppose any grocery store news is good news.

A grocery/restaurant to me sounds like it's not likely to be a full service grocery store. As much as I like local businesses and frequent them whenever possible, the only non-chain grocer I frequent is Grand Asia Market (and even they are actually a small chain with two locations, and I mostly go there for specialty imported items that they carry cheaper or have more variety than anywhere else.) The grocery business is tricky and margins are razor thin, but chains tend to have an established system to make it work, as well as the ability to buy food in bulk to cut costs. As the folks from Capital City Grocery found out, starting from scratch in the grocery business is difficult.

Though I'm sure this restaurant/grocery will be a nice neighborhood amenity, given the potentially high profit margins of the restaurant business compared with the low margins of groceries, I'm betting their main focus will be on the restaurant side.

I probably won't say that downtown Raleigh has a grocer until a chain opens up shop there.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A new project, "220 The Saint" calls for 38 condos plus 11 townhomes on an oddly shaped lot at St. Mary's & Lane Street.

8 townhomes will front St. Mary's and 3 will be interior to the development. The condo buidling will have its front door on Jones Street. The driveway access will be on Lane. Parking will be beneath the condo building, below street level of Lane Street.

Site plan and architectural elevations here. Doesn't look like it will use the highest quality materials, mostly hardie plank lap siding. But it is a decently dense 40 units per acre.

This is unique in that it is condos instead of apartments. And I do like the idea of townhomes along St. Mary's.

Interesting. This roughly corresponds to a site plan from 5 or 6 years ago for St Marys Condos but it never really had any traction. Looks like they are all going to be technically deeded as condos. Very modern looking with what looks like casement windows etc. Sort of made me think of the building going in next to Wells Fargo on Hillsborough St. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Saw an image posted on twitter for a 4-story, 30k sf building at corner of Peace and Boylan near Starbucks/Paramount/ McD.  Looks like offices - which is a change from much of the development around here!   And has integrated parking within the structure accessed from Boylan and hidden from Peace st.