Glenwood South miscellaneous developments

Jones_

Y'all that old 1920's apartment building and row houses behind it are a huge loss for historic stock in this area. Those alone, would make awesome rehabbed condos....I know they are office space now but were all originally residential. I don't think shoving a hotel back into a residential area has a good feel to it....and most of the Glenwood-Willard-Boylan-Johnson rectangle is residential. Old, historic residential. This project continues the push to wipe out this entire area eventually. 

Edited by Jones_
  • Like 1

Y'all that old 1920's apartment building and row houses behind it are a huge loss for historic stock in this area. Those alone, would make awesome rehabbed condos....I know they are office space now but we're all originally residential. I don't think shoving a hotel back into a residential area has a good feel to it....and most of the Glenwood-Willard-Boylan-Johnson rectangle is residential. Old, historic residential. This project continues the push to wipe out this entire area eventually. 
I would rather see a taller project that leaves those historic buildings alone.

6 minutes ago, RALNATIVE said:

Raleigh is the City of Boxes.

I know that I will be called an arm chair developer, but is John Kane the only developer that is willing to actually propose buildings a little taller AND a little less bland? But more importantly actually deliver on said proposal? 

12 hours ago, DwnTwnRaleighGuy said:

I know that I will be called an arm chair developer, but is John Kane the only developer that is willing to actually propose buildings a little taller AND a little less bland? But more importantly actually deliver on said proposal? 

Funny thing is: that photo is the North Hills AC Hotel, which was developed by Kane. I'm not saying that the proposed hotel will look any different, but it will be interesting to see how they design the building to fit the "vibe" of Glenwood South. North Hills is just a bunch of glass boxes, so that could explain that hotel's design, but it's also not that bad.

I would imagine AC has the most say so in how it will look. But having said that, I speculate that Kane's developments mostly turn profit for himself and that enables him to stretch his horizon out further (pay for better quality, more long term relevance style wise etc.). Developers with a huge binder of investors to answer to, must meet specified profits and still make a living themselves. Cutting corners usually wins out in those cases. I think Roland Gammon is the developer here, and he tends to land somewhere between those extremes (IIRC he developed the Cotton Mill on Capital.....pretty cool and risky in DTR at the time, but he gutted half of the first floor for parking which is effing stupid...I think he also did condos like Governor's Square on Person....great place for condos, but they are those crappy suburban garden style....so you get a sense of how his stuff goes. )

Edited by Jones_

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article190412044.html

Development team behind "Peace" (formerly Smokey Hollow) bought 2 acres along Harrington St for Phase 2 which sounds to be focused on office space with ground retail.  Interesting detail, the seller was Greg Sandreuter.  Wonder if this money will help speed along his 400H project.

404 West aerial email - Clear Sky Images.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Green_man said:
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article190412044.html
Development team behind "Peace" (formerly Smokey Hollow) bought 2 acres along Harrington St for Phase 2 which sounds to be focused on office space with ground retail.  Interesting detail, the seller was Greg Sandreuter.  Wonder if this money will help speed along his 400H project.
5a391b33a4674_404Westaerialemail-ClearSkyImages.thumb.jpg.bf4f3a04c110b769799f5c589a5a0410.jpg

That is an excellent point, and it does indeed seem that Sandreuter's LLC was the seller.

Since Kane has shown he understands the importance of connectivity by realigning Johnson Street, I hope he would consider leaving space to punch Tucker through as well.

• Like 1

With the size of the price tag do you think that means this will translate into taller buildings? Like 10+ floor? Also, more important than Tucker would be pedestrian sidewalk improvements on West and Harrington at the railroad tracks. Not a good spot for walking.

Edited by InitialD

I'm curious about the parking lot at 506 N West Street.  0.66 acres owned by the owners of the Creamery Building complex on Glenwood.  1) This parcel would be required to punch Tucker Street through to Harrington.  and 2) Seems like this parcel would greatly improve the dimensions for either a 1 or 2 building development. 

I'm sure Kane could reach a deal to provide the Creamery complex with 84 replacement parking spaces in whatever parking deck comes with the project.

Sandreuter had ponied around the renderings for those two other West apartment buildings, phase I and II with no real effort to ever do them on this block of land. I suspect it was just a good buy  back then and he has since used those renderings to help get the asking price up. I still have it my head that this area, wrapped around to the State complex, could all be packaged to contain Amazon (for better or for worse). Even without that fanciful set of events, I have great confidence that Kane will come up with a unifying set of buildings and cityscape.  I am hoping the Rollins Building si the one building left in place and gets reused for a a restaurant or brewery and everything else gets some high end new stuff. Initial D (FYI I finally stumbled across what your name refers to...pretty cool), I'd bet my hat, Kane pushes into the upper 20 stories on at least one parcel here, possibly facing a newly punched through Tucker. Connecting Tucker...dang that actually gets me excited. 

• Like 2

Rollins Building - which one is that? Don't see many distinctive buildings in there at all on this block. Finds Antiques at 520 West is a rather diminutive but cute-ish single story storefront building. It's the kind of thing that is nice but IMO not enough by itself to warrant throwing a wrench in a full block redevelopment.

21 hours ago, orulz said:

Rollins Building - which one is that? Don't see many distinctive buildings in there at all on this block. Finds Antiques at 520 West is a rather diminutive but cute-ish single story storefront building. It's the kind of thing that is nice but IMO not enough by itself to warrant throwing a wrench in a full block redevelopment.

Sorry, I was referring to Rollins Cleaners...not in the last post's footprint but likely Kane's master plan considers all of these parcels together. Agreed, everything else is expendable and not historically or architecturally significant. Rollins has a great clerestory running the length of the building, that is covered in vinyl siding, but from inside the building it is pretty impressive....not unlike the interior of Whiskey Kitchen. 

• 1 month later...

Saw on social media that Taylor's Service Station is closing for good and sounds like property sold for redevelopment.  Corner of Hillsborough & Boylan next to Char-Grill.  Approx 0.3 acres.  Currently zoned NX-7-UL (Neighborhood Mixed Use, Urban Limited Frontage, 7 floor height).  

Also, property catty-corner at 701 Hillsborough bought by FMW, the same developer from most of the 4-5 story apartment buildings along Hillsborough.  Same zoning as above.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Green_man said:

Saw on social media that Taylor's Service Station is closing for good and sounds like property sold for redevelopment.  Corner of Hillsborough & Boylan next to Char-Grill.  Approx 0.3 acres.  Currently zoned NX-7-UL (Neighborhood Mixed Use, Urban Limited Frontage, 7 floor height).  

Also, property catty-corner at 701 Hillsborough bought by FMW, the same developer from most of the 4-5 story apartment buildings along Hillsborough.  Same zoning as above.

As long as FMW keeps their grubby hands off the old stuff around Allen's Automotive, we're good, especially 711 Hillsborough. That is the Fred Whitaker House, built in 1875. Slightly older than Second Empire's building. 

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed the site immediately north of the Paramount, adjacent to Peace Street, is having some bores of some sort performed. Not sure if they are testing for contamination (there should be none), or if they are checking the bedrock depth for the higher proposed building, but perhaps something there will happen soon...I can imagine somebody wanting to coattail in on the other big projects happening all around the area....