Glenwood South miscellaneous developments

Jones_

• 5 months later...

FINALLY some progress on the Willard site.  Not sure what the deal is with downtown Raleigh hotels, there have been tons proposed over the past few years, and I think the Origin (just a block away) is the only one that has actually been built.  This will fill a massive hole in the Glenwood South area.

DSC_6817.thumb.jpg.5dee78caec3df1c9067de15e43cb25d5.jpg

This is the latest rendering:

1704645585_ACraleigh.jpeg.64004f720572b4f873bcabe2f330cfc8.jpeg

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was astounded to learn that there was a minor league ballpark at Peace and West until 1979. Gezzz Glenwood would have been different if it was still around.

(I’ll refrain from ranting about the anti-capitalist nature of baseball’s exclusive territory agreements)

https://medium.com/@designatedkyle/devereux-meadow-3951802f8bcf

Image for post

https://www.wral.com/devereux-meadow-exploring-the-remains-of-raleigh-s-lost-82-year-old-baseball-stadium/19178665/

Rusted plumbing from the remains of Devereux Meadow. This plumbing has a flusher attached, indicating where a restroom would have been beneath the bleachers.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

Yeah it's pretty crazy that stuff like that can be hiding in plain sight and as time pushes forward those that did remember become few/far between.  Really makes you think.  You can be walking down a greenway or a sidewalk somewhere and feet away from you can be this mind bender, hidden amongst some brambles or behind a wall.

• Like 1

When they disassembled Devereaux Meadows, one of my little league assistant coaches went down there and got a couple of the chairs and mounted them at our park, Kiwanis Park. I haven't been by there in a while, but they were put on the hill overlooking the 3rd baseline, near the street.

I remember the park sitting there all covered in kudzu in the '70s. However what blows my mind is that attendees used to park on Downtown Blvd to go to the games. Back then there wasn't a Jersey wall, and it was a little more like Wake Forest Road, for example.

That territorial thing was a terrible decision for baseball. Every city should have a minor league team if they want one.

Edited by dmccall
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, po-boy said:

The apartments are fine if a bit generic, but i think it is ridiculous that they are tearing down the 90+ year old historic building that houses Goodnights Comedy Club to put this up.

Raleigh doesn't have that many cool historical buildings. We should protect our limited inventory. They should be required to preserve what is there.

My thoughts exactly. They are tearing down this Raleigh institution to build that? At least they could build another highrise apartment building. Just goes to show that most developers don't care about aesthetics or preserving landmarks. For them it's about the almighty dollar. I'm sure that some developer is plotting how to replace central prison with a similarly underwhelming development. .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dmccall said:

Why would anyone want to live next to a railroad? I don't understand the market forces here.

I saw a $500K townhome in Charlotte with a great skyline view but less than 50 feet from an active railroad line.  Reason is lack of land in NC's big cities.  

• Like 1

I mean some people don't care and enjoy the trains to an extent.  I used to live in an old converted mill building downtown and the active line was about 50 feet from my back door.  I came home some nights and there'd be a train idling right there.  A few times I even waved and chatted with an engineer over the fence while he was sitting in his engine waiting around.

You get used to the train noises really quick.

• Like 1