Glenwood South miscellaneous developments

Jones_

I'm not far from Union Station and the Wye, and most of the time I don't even hear the trains. It's because after a certain time your mind naturally tunes out noises that become familiar.

Five Star at it's new location has RR tracks just feet in front of them and they don't seem to mind the noise.

I'm so sad right now.  I used to go to that Snoopy's all the time in college and late nights.  That corner just won't feel the same whenever the next apartment tower goes up on it.

https://www.wral.com/snoopy-s-closes-one-longtime-location/19552390/

Another part of quarky downtown Raleigh bites the dust.

Edited by DPK
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, DPK said:

I'm so sad right now.  I used to go to that Snoopy's all the time in college and late nights.  That corner just won't feel the same whenever the next apartment tower goes up on it.

https://www.wral.com/snoopy-s-closes-one-longtime-location/19552390/

Another part of quarky downtown Raleigh bites the dust.

I think we all saw this one coming. That parcel along the Glenwood strip has become way to valuable for poor little Snoopy's. Eventhough they are publicly blaming the pandemic for it's demise, which partly may be to blame, I don't think that's the main reason they are closing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RALNATIVE said:

I think we all saw this one coming. That parcel along the Glenwood strip has become way to valuable for poor little Snoopy's. Eventhough they are publicly blaming the pandemic for it's demise, which partly may be to blame, I don't think that's the main reason they are closing.

I would hope that if the lot is developed, that they would reach out to Snoopy's to offer them space. That would go a long way to establishing good will in the community. 

• Like 2

Everytime I went by in the last year it seemed busy with the office tower across the street and lots of construction nearby.   However there were probably less office workers due to the pandemic.  I think the apartment developer should offer them a cut rate deal but who knows. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

AC Hotel nearing completion.  I think this will be a game changer for this part of Glenwood South, hopefully it will spur more activity between it and all of the restaurants and bars closer to Peace St.  Also noticed that the 615 Peace site has been cleared (between the Starbucks and McDonald's).

IMG_3773.JPG

IMG_3774.JPG

IMG_3776.JPG

IMG_3917.JPG

IMG_3918.JPG

IMG_4014.JPG

IMG_4016.JPG

IMG_4019.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 10:43 PM, RALNATIVE said:

I like this condo project, but honestly this site could have benefited much from a taller structure.

I can see it both ways...Peace/Clark is one of our few retail areas that is fed by large walkable but low/medium density residential districts around it like Alberta Street in Portland OR or Bardstown Road in Louisville. These roads have a human scale and hence human interaction that is quickly stolen by huge buildings. But having said that,  I do like (prefer) small floor plate mid rise buildings scattered around on corners to act like book ends to districts. The opportunity for architectural variety and not very menacing shadows is a good balancing act in the overall fabric. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Since this is a block off Glenwood I will put this here.

""A Washington, D.C.-based developer is planning a large mixed-used project in downtown Raleigh.  Dalian Development has filed site plans with the city for 501 Hillsborough, a proposed 8-story development between Hillsborough and West Morgan streets.  The project would include a mix of commercial and residential space totaling 166,166 square feet at the corner of Hillsborough and South West streets near Morgan Street Food Hall. Plans show residential units above office and retail space. Site plans show the development would have five stories for residential space with 233 apartments – 202 one-bedroom units, 25 two-bedroom units and 6 three-bedroom units. Below that would be a mix of office and retail space. The single-building development would also include a parking deck.""

8-story development would reshape block in downtown Raleigh on Hillsborough Street - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 4