Glenwood South miscellaneous developments

Jones_

Just spent last weekend in Raleigh (for a Wedding) and was pleasantly surprised by how vibrant Downtown was after hours.  It’s been 8+ years since I moved to Charlotte from the Triangle and I was definitely shocked in a good (jealous) way.  Glenwood South was jumping…. Raleigh seems to punch above it’s weight class indeed.

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 4

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/08/17/centerline-plans-40-story-rezoning.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_triangle+(Triangle+Business+Journal)

Sigh. This is the whole Rockford/Tin Roof block. I'm sorry. I'm all for developing our empty lots, but I'm not for ripping out blocks that have the most character downtown. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, dmccall said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/08/17/centerline-plans-40-story-rezoning.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_triangle+(Triangle+Business+Journal)

Sigh. This is the whole Rockford/Tin Roof block. I'm sorry. I'm all for developing our empty lots, but I'm not for ripping out blocks that have the most character downtown. 

My thought exactly when I read this story. Just goes to show that greedy developers don't care anything about preserving character. If they can acquire the land, anything goes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I mentioned this in another thread, but I feel like pedestrian infrastructure between Glenwood South and the Warehouse District is somewhat limited due to older sidewalk designs as well as the train tracks.  401H will I think start to really tie both of those areas together, but the tracks are an obstacle and the bridges across them were built before the recent focus on walkability, meaning that everyone is stuck with narrow sidewalks immediately adjacent to very wide roads.  I wonder what the feasibility is of replacing the current crossfit gym with a park that goes over the tracks and bumps up to Glenwood Ave between the existing older buildings (currently occupied by small parking lots).  I see a lot of pedestrians walking across the Hillsborough St and Morgan St bridges, but it is obvious that the sidewalks are pretty inadequate for the amount of foot traffic on them, and a parallel route dedicated to walkers would really help bridge the divide between two of the more active parts of downtown.  It would also be nice to see the parking deck on West St be redeveloped because it's ugly and I hardly see any cars parked there anyway.

52531804_glenwoodsouthimprovements.thumb.jpg.347072aee231cd047e2ed59d3dfe4ebd.jpg

• Like 3

Absolutely excellent.  I like the Deco feeling of the tower.  Look forward to more renderings.   Does this mean the Pine State Public House, Tiki Bar, etc. are toast?   I like both places, but this needs to be built.  I really like that Raleigh (and Durham and the Triangle in general) is becoming a multi-nodal region of urban centers.  The diversity of these places bodes well for the region, if only to give people choices of places to live, work and play.  I only wish that our transportation network keeps up with the trend and that that we will have more multi-modal options linking these emerging centers.  In this regard, I think the Triangle is falling behind (quickly).

Edited by Phillydog

I'm wondering just how long the low income housing tower next to the Madison site will last. That property has been the target of many developers for years, but i'm assuming because it is low income, that has kept it intact. With property values and developer interest along that strip of Glenwood skyrocketing in recent years, I think that it's only a matter of time before that building meets a wrecking ball. It is sad that so many of those residents will be displaced.

Edited by RALNATIVE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RALNATIVE said:

I'm wondering just how long the low income housing tower next to the Madison site will last. That property has been the target of many developers for years, but i'm assuming because it is low income, that has kept it intact. With property values and developer interest along that strip of Glenwood skyrocketing in recent years, I think that it's only a matter of time before that building meets a wrecking ball. It is sad that so many of those residents will be displaced.

Who owns that property? If it's the city they should just sell for max profit and roll that into a new low income senior housing project in a better location in downtown. That structure looks like it needs millions of dollars in renovations soon. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 8:56 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

Just spent last weekend in Raleigh (for a Wedding) and was pleasantly surprised by how vibrant Downtown was after hours.  It’s been 8+ years since I moved to Charlotte from the Triangle and I was definitely shocked in a good (jealous) way.  Glenwood South was jumping…. Raleigh seems to punch above it’s weight class indeed.

Charlotte has multiple areas that are busy at night so its spread out some...Raleigh is almost entirely concentrated downtown of which Hillsborough St, 5 Points and north Person more or less are a part of too. 

On 9/30/2021 at 11:45 AM, RALNATIVE said:

With the current price of steel, I'd not be surprised to see it stripped down to the girders and rebuilt from there with retail punching out to the street front. The current First Citizens tower in North Hills had this down 20 years ago or so. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2021 at 4:47 PM, orulz said:

The rendering seems to show that this is at the NW corner, not the SW corner. GIS show it as built in 1945, it doesn't show up on a 1925 Sanborn map. So, it's 75 years old. Yeah, that's getting up there these days.

I am not disappointed that this building is being saved. I'm not overjoyed, but it's a fine outcome. This building is not really a storefront (which one might expect on a corner such as this) but is nevertheless a decent looking building. Like a lot of stuff in DTCH, It seems like it's trying to evoke the 18th century, but mostly just winds up reminding me of Kannapolis. Which - okay, Kannapolis is a perfectly fine town. But not really an architectural powerhouse. 

So I'm not, like, super psyched about the historic preservation aspect, but I can definitely get behind the sustainability side of not needlessly demolishing serviceable structures.

On 11/30/2021 at 8:17 AM, SydneyCarton said:

This little church is the next to be razed.

27AFD4CE-D90D-4025-89F2-23E0B2021485.jpeg

On 8/17/2021 at 9:54 PM, dmccall said:

I read this over and its not the whole block...North Street Beer Station and Rockford are both spared in the rezoning. Those being my favorite two spots on the block, I am not completely broken up over it though the Clockwork space is cool too. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...