Tall House Site

joeDowntown

I can't believe I'm the first to post this one:

A new hotel could be on its way to a downtown site near Van Andel Arena that was slated for a condominium project.

A developer plans to spend at least $10 million on an all-suites hotel and restaurant under a plan set to be unveiled at Tuesday's Downtown Development Authority meeting.

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/business/inde...d_for.html#more

3188059710_b8a6941e21_o.jpg

I'm sure someone posted this and I am Mr. Irrelevant. smile.gif

Joe

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was just published and the design doesn't make sense to me. The site would need underground parking that I don't see here and the street level retail portion doesn't look inviting at all to me. Also the hotel design doesn't look very artistic. It sure would stick out on the street. It doesn't seem to blend with the area at all to me.

I think they could do much better than this plan.

~John

Is there possibly an enclose ramp behind the building. It looks like there is a parking entrance near the Bank of Holland side. I guess as with anything, it depends on the materials. Doesn't $10 million seem somewhat inexpensive for a 9 story building?

I like the scale, and the idea of a hotel on Ionia. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Joe

For a hotel, it could have been a lot worse. The parking ramp might also take up a portion of the first couple of floors of the hotel on the backside.

I'd say this rendering is way too low quality to make any judgment call on the ground floor, although it's built to the sidewalk and looks like it has a lot of windows. Maybe they'll put their restaurant in the front with outdoor seating.

Here's a Cambria Suites in Mpls:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_h2epS_CF-rI/SGmPYqAb...-8/100_6402.JPG

Showing their color branding (and probably similar materials planned here).

http://images.google.com/images?um=1&h...G=Search+Images

A nice design. There are already some great looking old buildings on that block so something a little more modern and subtle I think will fit in well. How great for anyone who doesn't live downtown and likes McFadden's. Rent a room, go and party, walk across the street and crash. Close proximity to the VA will also aid in out of towners who want to see a concert and have to stay overnight w/o spending a small fortune at the JW or Amway and again is close to the bar scene.

Anyone stayed at the one in Traverse City? It looks like they have a standard look (from TC to the UK). If this is the look, I think it would be a very nice addition to the neighborhood.

Also, a great place to stay if you are looking for nightlife out the door (any door :) ).

Joe

More images. Ground floor retail!! And nice outdoor patio at the Hopcat end. Too bad there's parking between the two areas, but it's still pretty cool. Also looks like they're proposing a skywalk to the arena (why? It's right there). If that tan portion is brick, I think I like this better than Tall House.

3189538839_74a1fcc1a8_o.jpg

3189539007_36c5f4a2db_o.jpg

3189539217_5c520f52c8_o.jpg

3189539437_4ff3b70566_o.jpg

No way that tan portion is brick. more likely some sort of eifs... right?

More images. Ground floor retail!! And nice outdoor patio at the Hopcat end. Too bad there's parking between the two areas, but it's still pretty cool. Also looks like they're proposing a skywalk to the arena (why? It's right there). It that tan portion is brick, I think I like this better than Tall House.

Heartside's historical requirements are not all that hard to get around. Take a look at Purple East or the other development just south of there. Also, the Condo proposal @ 240 Ionia was meant to be Precast (No Brick) as well. I would imagine that the brick being on the pedestrian level would be enough to get past the HPC. Last I remember, they aimed for 50% brick as an exterior material for the Heartside.

More images. Ground floor retail!! And nice outdoor patio at the Hopcat end. Too bad there's parking between the two areas, but it's still pretty cool. Also looks like they're proposing a skywalk to the arena (why? It's right there). If that tan portion is brick, I think I like this better than Tall House.

has the architect been identified publicly? i don't see them listed anywhere.

Good to see ground level retail is featured, but I wonder if it'll make the final cut. You'll notice the main lobby isn't on the ground level. I doubt if the final design would include a second floor lobby. It would make using the building much more of a pain as it would double the amount to times one would have to use an elevator, and make waits for the elevator that much worse. (People get seriously annoyed if the wait is longer than 30 seconds.)

It seems to me that if they're planning for two half-floors of parking it might be a better idea to just make one entire basement level of parking. I'm not sure how that would affect other aspects of the building like utilities and the construction budget.

Good to see ground level retail is featured, but I wonder if it'll make the final cut. You'll notice the main lobby isn't on the ground level. I doubt if the final design would include a second floor lobby. It would make using the building much more of a pain as it would double the amount to times one would have to use an elevator, and make waits for the elevator that much worse. (People get seriously annoyed if the wait is longer than 30 seconds.)

Lots of downtown hotels have their lobby on the 2nd floor or higher. The Wyndham off Michigan Ave in Chicago comes to mind.

So far, I like it. I just hope that the tan facade is brick and that the skywalk gets eliminated. I think it is pretty pointless since the hotel will be so close to the arena. Also, if they could do something better with the parking garage (cover it with a gaming deck or pool) it would have my complete support.

Archived