Tall House Site

joeDowntown

I forgot to mention too that the developer is apparently talking with a restaurant/bar operator for the ground floor retail space already, that would serve the hotel and the public on Ionia.

In a somewhat related way, I see the Downtown Senior Neighbors across the street (ground floor of Weston Apts), is finally rehabbing their new space on South Division near Cathedral Square. That might open up some opportunities for some new retail in the Weston Apts building to serve hotel guests.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update on the Cambria Suites project: A public hearing will be set for the Brownfield Tax Credits on this project for May 12th, per this week's City Commission agenda. Total project cost is estimated at $29 Million.

Apparently the original Indiana group disbanded, and there is a new group trying to get this hotel built. No financing and no operator yet.

Apparently the original Indiana group disbanded, and there is a new group trying to get this hotel built. No financing and no operator yet.

That's too bad. I was just thinking about this place when Amy and I were enjoying a beer on Hopcat's patio on Saturday. Man, that was such a nice day.

• 9 months later...

This thread won my search for "skywalks."

Today was my first experience with same. Rode DT, parked at the AGP structure (thanks for moving the bike racks to the visual range of the parking attendant!), went in to try to register for the conference now in effect. Someone sent me towards the JW, so I walked...and walked and walked.

It's a lot further to use the skywalks. I stopped above Pearl to admire the views. The rest of the trip was fairly non-descript; there's a bit of art and interesting paint on the walls. But mostly they are blank.

Found out that the registration was in DVP (that makes more sense) so I walked back. The habitrail jogs east, going through the AGP parking deck, and then detours back to the west. I liked the close-up view of the Exhibitors Building (that's the vintage edifice nestled between the Pantlind and the AGP). The continued hike, not so much. Felt insulated from the performance hall, although I could tell when I was in it.

Habitrail dumps you out near the entrance to DVP, after traversing much of the block much closer to the river. More hiking in the big room space.

For my return, I just zipped up my (light) jacket and hiked back along the sidewalks. Went a lot faster, and it was nice to be outside and see sidewalk pavers, sculptures, gingerbread, and pedestrians.

On a related note, the AGP has a self-interested sign that seems a little abrasive. (Paraphrasing) "why go outside when the best restaurants in town are right here?"

I can understand why hockey fans or convention-goers would want to leave behind their coats and boots and parambulate the habitrails. And I prefer the streets and sidewalks.

YMMV

• 6 months later...

Archived