Meridian Apartment Building proposed

Prankster

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New apartment building in the 10 story range is being proposed for East Fulton at Sheldon Avenue. The plans call for high-end apartments with street level retail and a parking structure.

I wonder if it will be another "liner" parking ramp structure like the 38 Commerce project.

Source article here:

http://blog.mlive.com/knapescorner/2009/01...s_at_forme.html

~John

YES, yes and yes! Keep the proposals coming for actual structures on our abundant surface lots. This location has my vote for an urban grocery store, you know, something more than a boutique. Tons of residential already there and more coming, plus most of the bus lines go through this intersection.

Or Allendale if, like you say, the price is decent. I can't tell you how much I would have loved to have the Loose Leaf lofts, G on F, old bike factory project, or these proposed apartments to call home while I was at school. I always thought they needed more apartments downtown instead of condos.

Let's hope there's enough demand to fill all these apartments. If the pricing is decent, it seems like there would be a lot of people who would rather live downtown than out on Alpine or 44th Street.

I am excited to see another proposal for this area. IMHO, there are a lot of possibilities for this area of DT and it would appear that, along with the renovation of building on Monroe Center, the Gallery, and this, we are quite possibly going to witness a small renaissance of a section of downtown that I never thought would happen. And just think: A bus line/streetcar running through that area?! SWEEEEET!!!!

I really hope that this happens. Let the domino effect begin!

It doesn't sound like they are planning on incorporating the old JA building with this project. Personally I think the building should be torn down. I think a nice tall building would be nice for that spot. 10 stories isn't bad but I would like to see it closer to 15 or even 20. But the question is can the area absorb the market for all the apartments going up in the area? We have 101 South Division, Gallery on Fulton building and 38 Commerce. Maybe they figure that the baby boomer's won't be able to buy condos so they are going with apartments.

I'm looking forward to seeing the design renditions for this proposed project.

~John

I kind of think it's the opposite. I think apartments will be doing much better than condos or houses for certain types of people. Take me for example, I currently make a decent living at a stable (possibly recession proof) job in government intelligence contracting. I have school loans, but not that much compared to many people out there and I don't have a lot of credit card debt (infact, less than 1,000$). Even so, I still can't buy a house because the cost of living in Florida is way too high and there is the reality that I would be stuck in one place for a solid 7-10 years since I couldn't sell it. Since I really dislike the town that I live in, there is little incentive for me to buy. For young professionals like myself, the freedom to move when you want to (in search of a new job when you get the pink slip) is very important. Being trapped by a mortgage doesn't give you that freedom.

But the question is can the area absorb the market for all the apartments going up in the area? We have 101 South Division, Gallery on Fulton building and 38 Commerce. Maybe they figure that the baby boomer's won't be able to buy condos so they are going with apartments.

maybe im a sucker for height, and maybe i like it because its a nod to my home town of flints "signature" building, the genessee towers building, but overall, i like it.

i wonder if itll be a green building, or LEED certified, or whatever. im not up to date on the terminology, and i didnt read the article, just looked at the picture.

Archived