Meridian Apartment Building proposed

Prankster

It would be a nice location for a grocery store, but they need to do something about that parking. It's way too much of an eyesore and I don't think covering it with ivy will be a successful endeavor. I like the rest of the design, however. Having a lot of glass like that just seems to work better when it's consistent from the ground to the top floor.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Um, does anyone else feel like this design is straight out of the 60s space age? I don't think it matches the neighborhood at all. Compare it to the GonF rendering and it's like comparing night and day. It would be nice to have a grocer, but the building is what would really do it for me and this doesn't cut it. I think the only thing I like about it is the "nod" to the JA building, to which it neighbors, with the curved corner design. Other than that, I hope they go back to the drawing board. Come on, not even the mayor likes it and he'll do almost anything to get development into GR. Also, I would have expected more from the guy who designed Riverhouse.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but at least I'm honest.

I like the top half of the design, and I like the way it pulls Sheldon into the core of downtown (with the YWCA). I do agree though, the parking is a little brutal. There's got to be a way to break that up visually without just adding Ivy.

I think Heartwell comparing Park Place to Meridian is like comparing apples and oranges. I think the condo prices were pretty steep for Park Place (which allows for a more grand design).

Still, I hope this is like the Gallery on Fulton and goes through multiple versions. You gotta love the infill!

If the Kendall Building, Meridian and Cambria Suites and Heartside Manor (plus Thirty Eight and Gallery on Fulton) all come to fruition, that area is going to be eye-poppingly different in a few years!

Joe

Um, does anyone else feel like this design is straight out of the 60s space age? I don't think it matches the neighborhood at all. Compare it to the GonF rendering and it's like comparing night and day. It would be nice to have a grocer, but the building is what would really do it for me and this doesn't cut it. I think the only thing I like about it is the "nod" to the JA building, to which it neighbors, with the curved corner design. Other than that, I hope they go back to the drawing board. Come on, not even the mayor likes it and he'll do almost anything to get development into GR. Also, I would have expected more from the guy who designed Riverhouse.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but at least I'm honest.

I also don't like the parking portion, but even if there were no parking and those floors looked like the upper floors this would still be a rather poor design. The proportions just seem all wrong. Perhaps some of the architects around here can tell me why I feel that way. :)

Does the parking remind anyone else of this?

marinacity%20031.jpg

I think the problem may be that the building has been designed as sort of "pancake" arcitecture where the different parts: retail, parking, and residential where simply stacked on top of each other. What is missing is any sort of features that tie the three together. The way the residential portion canteleivers out furthers the disconnect between the three parts and makes the design a bit top heavy.

My suggestion would be to extend the vertical dividers from between the balconies down into the parking deck portion, then maybe add the exterior walkways that Winkelmann mentioned to bring the lower portion out even with the balconies above.

I think the best part is the space age design. The upper levels look great, and they add a dimension that is leaps and bounds different from anything else downtown. But yes, the upper level lines need to come down into the parking ramp more. Also, what does the West side of the building look like?

3195281851_31c19b9259_o.jpg

It feels like there should be about 10 more stories on top of this. Do you really need as many levels of parking as you do for living? Are they paying for the construction through monthly parking sales?

I'm excited for the in-fill though, good ridden to surface lots!! Will there be 4 cranes in Heartside at once?? Wow!

286 Parking Spaces with 105 apartments? Really? How does that ratio make ANY sense? Drop the parking down to maybe 150 spaces, turn it into a linear building and call it good. A new city owned ramp will be a half block away. No need for all the extra parking here.

286 Parking Spaces with 105 apartments? Really? How does that ratio make ANY sense? Drop the parking down to maybe 150 spaces, turn it into a linear building and call it good. A new city owned ramp will be a half block away. No need for all the extra parking here.

Thats why I said 150... about half of the apartments would get a second spot and it would leave a small amount for the retail. There is a large work force that would have to walk 2-3 blocks if they lived in this location. We are only a one car family and would love to stay that way. An apartment at a location like this would be ideal!

Archived