Meridian Apartment Building proposed

Prankster

286 may not even be enough. With the price range of the apartments I'm sure many residents would want 2 spaces with parking available for visitors. Giving the retail space 50 parking places only leaves 26 for visitors of the apartment residence.

~John

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given that Tol has stated the parking structure would remain private, and that structures are extremely expensive to build on a per-space basis, it is HIGHLY unlikely they are building a larger-than-necessary structure. I'm going under the assumption that the designed structure is based on research that indicates this many spots is necessary and that the structure will financially support itself.

Given that Tol has stated the parking structure would remain private, and that structures are extremely expensive to build on a per-space basis, it is HIGHLY unlikely they are building a larger-than-necessary structure. I'm going under the assumption that the designed structure is based on research that indicates this many spots is necessary and that the structure will financially support itself.

With the developer in question, I will hold my gasp or applause until he gets the tax breaks, redesigns a few times, and there are shovels in the ground.

This site and the couple of ideas that he has floated for it reminds me of the whole Icon on Bond 20 stories/15 stories/ 9 stories and then 2 buildings to 1 building thing.

Yeah, I will just wait for it. No chance of it looking like that rendering IMO.

At first blush I kind of like the design. But then I start picturing it a few years down the road and I can see it starting to look pretty dated in a hurry.

I'd prefer something a little cleaner and contemporary. Give up the JA building for dead, tear it down and building something like this right on the corner of Fulton and Division:

west_villageIMG_4790.jpg

Hide the parking out back.

For me, the current design is wearing a little too much flair.

Maybe I'm missing it, but has a price range been given for these apartments? All I could find is that they're planned to be "upscale."

Do you mean residents would want two parking spaces + an additional space for visitors? I can't imagine how much parking would be downtown if every residential unit required three parking spaces.

I think a big draw for a lot of people living downtown (or thinking about making the move) is the ability to function without a car. Sure, some people in this setting will want a space for their vehicle, but does half the building need to be dedicated to parking?

Maybe I'm missing it, but has a price range been given for these apartments? All I could find is that they're planned to be "upscale."

Do you mean residents would want two parking spaces + an additional space for visitors? I can't imagine how much parking would be downtown if every residential unit required three parking spaces.

I think a big draw for a lot of people living downtown (or thinking about making the move) is the ability to function without a car. Sure, some people in this setting will want a space for their vehicle, but does half the building need to be dedicated to parking?

I think rumors of its death have been greatly exaggerated. Do you seriously see the automobile being phased out in 10 years? 20? Even 50? Sorry, but know matter what happens to the big 3, someone will be happy to fill the void. The infrastructure changes to rid the US of the pesky automobile (and that is the "other" 80% even want it) would be so monumental and cost so much money for a system most people don't think is broke, I think you'll be hard pressed to see the age of king auto end in your lifetime (and for the record, I'm pro mass transit (at least for cross town transit)).

Joe

because it's fundamentally unsustainable. the age of king auto is nearing an end.

I think rumors of its death have been greatly exaggerated. Do you seriously see the automobile being phased out in 10 years? 20? Even 50? Sorry, but know matter what happens to the big 3, someone will be happy to fill the void. The infrastructure changes to rid the US of the pesky automobile (and that is the "other" 80% even want it) would be so monumental and cost so much money for a system most people don't think is broke, I think you'll be hard pressed to see the age of king auto end in your lifetime (and for the record, I'm pro mass transit (at least for cross town transit)).

Joe

Joe

yes, i seriously do...not to say that autos will cease to exist, but that the resources we currently use to keep them the prime center of american urban life will be directed somewhere else. not in 10 years, of course...but 50? wouldn't surprise me a bit.

I don't see them disappearing in 50 years. Internal combustion engines? Certainly. Until the day comes that no one will ever have to travel by themselves or just with their family somewhere, personal vehicles will exist.

But we should get back to the Meridian Apts.

I agree that the this should be re-routed to the topic at hand. The tangent on the relevance of automobiles came about from the discussion that there was too much / too little parking for this project, and the arguements that ensued saying why have parking when the automobile is headed for a certain demise. As for this project (as well as any future one downtown), parking will continue to be a fundamental feature in any design, if not within the new building itself, than with very easy access to parking (i.e. city-owned structure) close nearby.

I hope that this project happens, and I also hope that Tol's "dream" of a grocery store tenant in the 10,000 foot retail section becomes reality. Common sense would say, though, that there is no way a grocery store can be served by just 20 parallel parking spots lining the street around the building it is located in. Having a dedicated 50 or so spots on top of the grocery store (second or third story of the building / parking structure) would help make the store that much more viable. Let's face reality - it's only 2 miles up Fulton to Family Fare and 2.5 miles to the corner of Michigan and Fuller for the new D&W. I (and I would assume most people) would gladly drive this easy 5-minute distance to have no parking issues vs. having to circle the block 4 or 5 times hunting for a parking spot that might never appear.

I am a huge advocate for mass transit, the rapid bus line, and the street car system, but at the same time, I don't think that buildings and businesses should be handicapped by not offering access to all potential customers, including those that will invariably use a car for most of their commuting purposes.

Archived