New Pedestrian Bridge over the Grand River

fotoman311

The city is currently taking bids for a project to renovate an old railroad bridge south of Wealthy into a pedestrian bridge. The bridge would connect the Black Hills neighborhood with the future Butterworth Landfill Park, Kent Trails, and Millenium Park. The south end of the bridge will eventually connect with the Plaster Creek trail which currently extends through parts of Wyoming to Kalamazoo and 32nd St.

I've written more about the bridge at http://www.pedalgr.com/2009/01/12/and-then-there-were-three/

If all goes well, it will be completed in 2010. The city is hoping to have an acceptable bid within their budget in time to begin construction in the spring. While I'm cautiously optimistic, it's certainly not written in stone yet. I am very excited about the possibilities though, both for this bridge and the Butterworth Landfill park!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can GR afford Calatrava? :mellow:

calatrava_puente_del_alamillo_sevil.jpg

Well, I hope it comes out a little more interesting than any of the existing padestrian bridges...

The city is currently taking bids for a project to renovate an old railroad bridge south of Wealthy into a pedestrian bridge. The bridge would connect the Black Hills neighborhood with the future Butterworth Landfill Park, Kent Trails, and Millenium Park. The south end of the bridge will eventually connect with the Plaster Creek trail which currently extends through parts of Wyoming to Kalamazoo and 32nd St.

I've written more about the bridge at http://www.pedalgr.com/2009/01/12/and-then-there-were-three/

If all goes well, it will be completed in 2010. The city is hoping to have an acceptable bid within their budget in time to begin construction in the spring. While I'm cautiously optimistic, it's certainly not written in stone yet. I am very excited about the possibilities though, both for this bridge and the Butterworth Landfill park!

That's pretty cool. My guess is they are not going to do anything special with this bridge. Just make it safely traversible by bicycle and foot. If the city was going to invest in a pedestrian bridge, it should give the Interurban bridge some kind of facelift. It gets used a lot more and is much more visible.

I do not see this bridge serving any streetcar system. The line it goes on dead ends into a warehouse at Hall. Plus, the new streetcar system will tie into the new transit center near 131. Any streetcar serving this area would likely go down Market to Godfrey.

It's my understanding that the old interurban main station used to be located on Michigan near where the GR Ford burial site is. I'm not 100% certain on that. I'd like to do some more research on the interurban system.

Archived