Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miesian Corners

GW Fins now closed

7 posts in this topic

The economy strikes again. GW Fins closed for good Saturday night. Did anybody ever go? I went last summer with some friends and had a great dinner.

Sorry, mods. I thought I was posting in the Coffee House.

The hospitality industry is really suffering right now nationwide... I would expect more higher end restaurants, especially those not firmly established in the community or parts of big corporate chains, to shutter locations in the upcoming months.

We walked down and looked at the menu once, seemed awfully expensive. It also is just enough off the main part of Tryon that it likely didn't get a lot of the 'walk by and stop in' traffic that many of the restuarants between 2nd and 7th get.

Had two meals there, both excellent (and both times dead inside). One time was during the $30 dinner month, the other a birthday.

That location is just in the wrong spot for upscale dining.

no! i wanted to go eventually, and i always enjoyed having some outdoor music on this end of town when that jazz trio would play on Thursdays.

That location is just in the wrong spot for upscale dining.

I actually went there for New Year's Eve dinner, and while the food was realy good (I had an Ahi tuna dish that was incredible), the service sucked horribly. For that price, I expected better service but instead got a waitress that took 20 minutes to deliver a martini and couldn't tell us anything about the menu. Good riddance.

I'm sure the service was bad at New Years as they were nearing their demise and had probably already cut staff considerably. You would not say good riddance if you went there before they started struggling.

When I went last February, the service was amazing and everything about the meal was perfect. I loved the fresh biscuits they constantly brought out fresh off the pan! It was definitely a pricey place, though, and I think hit the market right when other expensive places were coming in and during a bad year economically. It is a odd spot only because Tryon north of 9th is still so dead so you don't get many people walking past that just pop in.

During the $30 week last year, a few of us went, but I thought it was decently filled. I guess it was a weekend day.

I hope it doesn't cast a spell over that location. Also, I hope that whoever takes the spot doesn't completely gut and rebuilt the interior like GW Fins did to the Pallamino setup. It seems awfully wasteful, although I did understand the desire to build a more obvious entrance.