Bibb County's new courthouse

george

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the wanted to make a deal on the land before it became public so the price wouldn't be driven up.

as for the vote,the people of bibb county will still have to vote for the one cent splost to pay for it.

which they should,otherwise the county will have to raise taxes to pay for.It has to be built by july 2012 under court order.

• 4 weeks later...

Building the courthouse next to the jail would be a wasted opportunity to give downtown the kind of boost it has needed for decades. I grew up and worked in downtown for years and I know it and it's issues like the back of my hand. Bear in mind, I view things like an architect not a politician. Therefore current landownership issues do not cloud my thinking. That being said I feel that the best location would be at the foot of Poplar Street creating a focal point for what could become Macon's premier street. That location would play right into the other projects already underway in that area. Poplar street is the one street in downtown that has the potential to offer what the new shopping centers have - namely parking in front of the stores! Think about it. Poplar does not need to be a street in the conventional way since it really does not go anywhere. That joke of a park down the middle of the street should be done away with in order to maximize surface parking along with the usual perks like pedestrian walks, shade trees, adequate lighting, fountians (the traditional kind),etc. With the added population of courthouse workers, lawyers offices, etc. in that part of town plus other condo projects I have read about, the street could become a retail paradise similar to King Street in Charelston but with parking. I could see the view from First Baptist past City Hall and down a rejuvinated Poplar Street "Mall" (think D.C.) to a gleaming new mid-rise or even hi-rise courthouse building at the end of the street ,with an expansive plaza in front, as being one of the most photographed city scenes around!

Building the courthouse next to the jail would be a wasted opportunity to give downtown the kind of boost it has needed for decades. I grew up and worked in downtown for years and I know it and it's issues like the back of my hand. Bear in mind, I view things like an architect not a politician. Therefore current landownership issues do not cloud my thinking. That being said I feel that the best location would be at the foot of Poplar Street creating a focal point for what could become Macon's premier street. That location would play right into the other projects already underway in that area. Poplar street is the one street in downtown that has the potential to offer what the new shopping centers have - namely parking in front of the stores! Think about it. Poplar does not need to be a street in the conventional way since it really does not go anywhere. That joke of a park down the middle of the street should be done away with in order to maximize surface parking along with the usual perks like pedestrian walks, shade trees, adequate lighting, fountians (the traditional kind),etc. With the added population of courthouse workers, lawyers offices, etc. in that part of town plus other condo projects I have read about, the street could become a retail paradise similar to King Street in Charelston but with parking. I could see the view from First Baptist past City Hall and down a rejuvinated Poplar Street "Mall" (think D.C.) to a gleaming new mid-rise or even hi-rise courthouse building at the end of the street ,with an expansive plaza in front, as being one of the most photographed city scenes around!

Exactly! I'm not saying to do away with Capricorn, just work it into the program. I could see the need to abandon one block of lower Poplar and probably the tire store???? just to the n.e. I realize that the old four or five story brick building right at the end of Poplar on Broadway was part of the Capricorn scheme but I'm guessing that a new courthouse might be more appealing to the developers than trying to restore that old eyesore of a building anyway.

I am trying to do just that. But I am hoping the people on this forum will help spread the idea around. I've given this a lot of thought and I would go so far as to suggest that if Capricorn Center LLC owns all or part of the land in question they could perhaps offer it at a "discount" rate considering what something of that magnitude would do for their own interests not to mention the good publicity they could get out of it??!!

I am trying to do just that. But I am hoping the people on this forum will help spread the idea around. I've given this a lot of thought and I would go so far as to suggest that if Capricorn Center LLC owns all or part of the land in question they could perhaps offer it at a "discount" rate considering what something of that magnitude would do for their own interests not to mention the good publicity they could get out of it??!!

Thanks for the info. I know how ideas can sometimes die just over trivial issues such as petty politics, landowners holding out, etc. etc. I have seen many ideas get pitched for downtown (I've been involved with a few myself) only to see them fade away because of some ridiculous disagreement...... that is why I need people like yourselves to give this idea some life. I really feel that a courthouse in that location would give real teeth to the condos, hotels, offices already planned for that area. Plus it would be a beautiful site not unlike what the Terminal Station does for Cherry Street. Additionaly, if the current courthouse is renovated and maintained (perhaps the courtrooms themselves could stay there) then natural "flow" that would evolve between the two courthouse locations would only enhance businesses in between such as those on Cherry Street. I will make an effort to throw this idea at the people you mention. Any other "contacts" will be appreciated. I believe that it's important for the citizens of Macon to take interest in the sustainability of their downtown before it becomes a ghost town.

Thanks for the info. I know how ideas can sometimes die just over trivial issues such as petty politics, landowners holding out, etc. etc. I have seen many ideas get pitched for downtown (I've been involved with a few myself) only to see them fade away because of some ridiculous disagreement...... that is why I need people like yourselves to give this idea some life. I really feel that a courthouse in that location would give real teeth to the condos, hotels, offices already planned for that area. Plus it would be a beautiful site not unlike what the Terminal Station does for Cherry Street. Additionaly, if the current courthouse is renovated and maintained (perhaps the courtrooms themselves could stay there) then natural "flow" that would evolve between the two courthouse locations would only enhance businesses in between such as those on Cherry Street. I will make an effort to throw this idea at the people you mention. Any other "contacts" will be appreciated. I believe that it's important for the citizens of Macon to take interest in the sustainability of their downtown before it becomes a ghost town.

Archived