Arkansas to develop Level One Trauma System

slyder1

I was watching KY3 last night here in Springfield and I saw a story abouth Arkansas developing a Level One Trauma System. I was pretty shocked to hear that even Little Rock didn't have a level one trauma when Springfield does. I guess my question is why has it taken the state so long to develop this. They said the state would like to put a 50 cent sales tax on cigarettes to pay for the costs. The locations that were mentioned was Little Rock and Northeast Arkansas. I was wondering why Northwest Arkansas wasn't a first choice but I guess the proximity to Tulsa and Springfield puts them in the back of the line.

I just wanted know some of your thoughts about why this took so long and if this has been a problem for the state in the past?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was watching KY3 last night here in Springfield and I saw a story abouth Arkansas developing a Level One Trauma System. I was pretty shocked to hear that even Little Rock didn't have a level one trauma when Springfield does. I guess my question is why has it taken the state so long to develop this. They said the state would like to put a 50 cent sales tax on cigarettes to pay for the costs. The locations that were mentioned was Little Rock and Northeast Arkansas. I was wondering why Northwest Arkansas wasn't a first choice but I guess the proximity to Tulsa and Springfield puts them in the back of the line.

I just wanted know some of your thoughts about why this took so long and if this has been a problem for the state in the past?

This legislation would not be creating a trauma center. It would be creating a system for first responders to help them find the most appropriate place to take a patient. UAMS would be designated a Level I center as well as LR Baptist (most likely). Hospitals like Washington regional would be a Level II center. That is based on the current state of those facilities. The system would not expand the capabilities of a hospital. It would be the responsibility of the hospital to meet that threshold for Level I.

Archived