PROPOSED:Hartford Equestrian Complex

The Voice of Reason

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would think there would have to be limits on the enforcement of deed restrictions from such a long time ago as would be the case with the Keney family. The school I see as a totally different scenario. I live near the park and it is certainly huge for no good reason. There is simply not much going on in huge swaths of the park and its not like it's a nature preserve or something. I'm not sure I fully support the equestrian center but certainly find it reasonable to discuss the possibility of doing something constructive with some of the more dormant area of Keney park.

Nothing wrong with it. I'm just not sure what it adds to the neighborhood just basically being a huge forest in the middle of a residential neighborhood. I live right around the corner and I know what goes on in the park. I would not have minded some more constructive uses.

good point.

I spoke to the boss lady of the horse women before the vote and tried to give them some ideas as ways to help "sell" the idea. what I mean is that I gave helpfull ideas as far as design elements that would help the project be more of a comfortable fit for the residents.

I told them parking should NOT be paved, but gravel or even make most of the event parking grass because if there are 10 huge events a year then grass can handle that parking for 10 events. I told her to be sure that lighting is respectfull of light polution. sure it is a city, but there is no need to make it look like day light at night. or make it look like a shopping center.

but the point that you make is that it should not be economic development is the best way to put it.

they saw how it could help the city with revenues or whatever and used that as a way to "sell" it to the city. but they should concentrate on all the other positives. if it has a positive economic impact that is just gravy. I think this project will do both the mission of a park and also bring revenue, but it is important to focus on the park mission and not go sounding like business people looking to develop 200 acres of a park. people hear that and they get suspicous and imagine a huce asphalt complex with spotlights across the street.

does anyone else have any good ideas about what I can tell these ladies for when they come back to city office?

good point.

I spoke to the boss lady of the horse women before the vote and tried to give them some ideas as ways to help "sell" the idea. what I mean is that I gave helpfull ideas as far as design elements that would help the project be more of a comfortable fit for the residents.

I told them parking should NOT be paved, but gravel or even make most of the event parking grass because if there are 10 huge events a year then grass can handle that parking for 10 events. I told her to be sure that lighting is respectfull of light polution. sure it is a city, but there is no need to make it look like day light at night. or make it look like a shopping center.

but the point that you make is that it should not be economic development is the best way to put it.

they saw how it could help the city with revenues or whatever and used that as a way to "sell" it to the city. but they should concentrate on all the other positives. if it has a positive economic impact that is just gravy. I think this project will do both the mission of a park and also bring revenue, but it is important to focus on the park mission and not go sounding like business people looking to develop 200 acres of a park. people hear that and they get suspicous and imagine a huce asphalt complex with spotlights across the street.

does anyone else have any good ideas about what I can tell these ladies for when they come back to city office?

http://www.courant.com/news/local/columnis...,7077152.column

Stan Simpson article;

I can't blame Patricia Kelly for being exasperated; make that disgusted.

For 20 years, the founder and CEO of the Ebony Horsewomen has been pitching an idea to build a privately funded equestrian center for Keney Park in north Hartford.

For the most part, community folks and public officials enthusiastically endorsed the novel concept and economic potential of an urban equestrian park for north Hartford

The sheer stupidity of Hartford city hall is breathtaking.

If this was a corrupt friend of Perez or a person connected to the council, it would have passed in a heartbeat. The horsewomen haven't passed out enough bribes.

Giving away a park to some lady to develop it is stupid. The council made the right choice. She was trying to pull a fast one on the city, and now is trying to play the card about how the city NEEDS her development. Frankly, the city needs to focus on traditional ways to revive the city, not the pie-in-the-sky horse park.

Giving away a park to some lady to develop it is stupid. The council made the right choice. She was trying to pull a fast one on the city, and now is trying to play the card about how the city NEEDS her development. Frankly, the city needs to focus on traditional ways to revive the city, not the pie-in-the-sky horse park.

Archived