Obama

monsoon

Whether you voted for Obama or not, I think everyone would agree that yesterday's inauguration was an event, now in American History, that will be taught in schools for generations to come. It was also watched by an 1/3rd of the entire planet's population with great interest. I've been reading the foreign press and Obama took the front page of almost every newspaper and news site that I could find.

So use this topic to address your feelings on the matter if you care to share them.

-------------------------------------

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday was a great day to be alive! I wanted to be there being that DC's in my backyard but I had a better vantage point thanks to the tv. It was emotional to think how far we've come as a nation in 40-50 years. We still have a way to go, but I'm optimistic for the future. Obama is inspiring and there are a lot of children who know now they can follow in his footsteps and make it to the country's highest office no matter your background and we'll have many Barack Obamas to come.

He has a lot on his shoulders and even though he's told us things won't turn around immediately, people will still expect instant change. While his being in office is change, it was hard-fought and took time itself. Today the hard work continues and again I'm optimistic. Obama will be a great president and he'll win over his nay-sayers once they see progress.

But yesterday was quite a day and a day full of activities. I was even exhausted and all I did was watch! I can only imagine how sleep deprived Barack is for his first full work day.

People have always questioned whether Obama would be ready on day 1. He has proven to everyone that he was ready long before day 1. Its really refreshing to have a president like Barack Obama. Clearly he appears to be the JFK for todays generation. We all know its going to take a long time to unravel what Bush has tangled up, but the American people are patient and we are now moving in the right direction.

Talking about change and hope isn't going to get us far, and I'm weary of the attitude prevalent in America that Obama's gonna hop in and fix everything. I certainly hope he's a successful president, but it seems like people are already sold on the guy when he hasn't even done anything yet. Call me a cynic, but I have my doubts that the lazy, apathetic American public is going to change much with Obama in office.

As a 3rd-party voter, someone please tell me why people are so thrilled about Obama. Because he's black? A democrat? Articulate and well-spoken? I just don't see why people are so excited over this guy. As far as I can tell, he's just another politician. The only difference is that he doesn't act like one. I don't really have an opinion on the guy either way, so it just seems a little strange that, given the nature of politicians, people are so worked up about him.

^I will answer your question on how I feel about this. Obama gets the support that he gets because he makes people feel like they do matter and they do have a part to play in this country without pre-qualifications. People are sick and tired of being divided up into red and blue, not belonging to the right religion, living in the wrong place, loving the wrong person, being the wrong color, criticized for being educated, and being told they are wrong based on someone else's standard. I think one of the most disgusting examples of this was when Bush and the GOP decided to federalize the Terry Schiavo decision. It was as dirty and divisive as it could get. We have had close to 30 years of this kind of thing that came with Reganism perverted by the Bushes and countered by the Clintons.

Obama is a clean break from all of it as the crowd there demonstrated. 2 million+ people of all colors and walks of life braving that cold DC day to experience this inauguration as a shared experience. This can and only happens in America and happens when we have a leader that provides the right inspiration. Obama shows a respect for people that has been lacking for a long time and while Americans might be lazy and apathetic, they can also be pulled together to do great things when the need calls. Obama shown that he has the talent to do this.

Like you I am a believer in actions being what matters and Obama now has the task of standing behind his words. I do take heart that just today Obama's team opened WhiteHouse.gov back up and removed all the restrictions that prevented the site from being indexed. He has already taken a number of other positive actions today on these lines so I am encouraged he is the right person for the job this time.

I voted for a third party candidate, but I am really happy to see someone else in there now that could set a different tone for the White House. I am watching to see what he does and am hoping for the best. I know from talking with friends around the world that he has already started having a positive effect on the US image worldwide. There are also things that he has done that give me hope, such as what monsoon stated earlier about indexing whitehouse.gov and I also like the opening up of a youtube channel, among other things. In this way, he has already made some change in making government more up to date and accessible. Such things, once given to the public, would be very difficult to take back by future presidents, as voters will come to expect them and the media would no doubt create a ton of negative stories about a president that doesn't allow indexing, doesn't communicate through the net via youtube or some other service and so forth. I also love that he has vowed to get imput from the Republicans as well, the sign of a true leader. A true leader doesn't sideline anyone, but seeks the imput of everyone involved to create a agreeable and united front to complete a task or in opposition to the true enemy. So far, so good :) .

In the 10 years I've been old enough to vote, Obama is the first democrat I voted for in a presidential election. The inauguration was an amazing event to witness, even though I couldn't be there.

Despite the challenges before him, set in motion by his predecessor, I am optimistic about the next four years. Four years isn't much time to fix the current mess, but it is enough time for Obama to prove himself to those of us who voted for him as well as those who did not. And if he does, he just might have the four years after that to accomplish everything he wants to.

I am really tired of dirty politics. It was time for a new, fresh face. This man is of mixed ethnic background; he is as metrosexual as they get; he is young and energetic; he is highly verbose and articulate; and to many people who were looking to change the direction of the country and the way we are viewed by the world, he is the candidate they were waiting for.

When you think about January 2009, you can't help but reflect on the fact that for years, the US president was one of the most despised and mistrusted men in the world.

And now, the US president is probably the most famous and popular person in the world.

We suffered long enough. We deserve a president we can be proud of. This is almost too good to be true.

I'm still a little in awe of it all. I was in DC for inauguration, far away, not actually on the Mall itself but beside one of the Smithsonian buildings viewing the ceremony on a jumbotron in the cold, and I absolutely LOVED it. It was thrilling to be a part of history.

Obama's rise still amazes me. I mean the guy is the ultimate outsider, yet he has become the Commander in Chief of the United States of America--arguably the most powerful position on the planet. As an African American myself, that really moves me. And he's clearly a man of the times; he understands the challenges that lie before us and how we must move forward with a fresh approach. I'm optimistic that he's going to do well in his first administration (and hopefully get elected to another term) and that he will truly seek to make sure that all have a seat at the table.

Archived