Waking up Worcester

Cotuit

Nothing is happening with City Square right now, they haven't started demo work on the Common Outlets yet. The new biotech park that I posted above has started some demo and site work, I believe.

Sorry about lack of pictures, but my image hosting just doesn't work right now, it won't allow me to upload new pics :(.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Nothing is happening with City Square right now, they haven't started demo work on the Common Outlets yet. The new biotech park that I posted above has started some demo and site work, I believe.

Sorry about lack of pictures, but my image hosting just doesn't work right now, it won't allow me to upload new pics :(.

Anybody with Members+ status receives free hosting with UrbanPlanet. You can attach them directly in your post. Look for the file attachments menu.

I am not 100% sure this is going to be the panacea they think it is - it won't fail, I don't think, but it doesn't address the real issue that most people don't want a vibrant downtown, rather a bunch of offices and a few old fashioned department stores like Deholms. The offices are there - they just need to be spruced up. I just worry that there is not enough real support from the residents of the city to really make it work.

You got a point there. It seems like Worcester people don't even want a desirable downtown. I think it still could work if there is enough migration into Worcester. They are building a bunch of desirable living space downtown (stylish lofts). If all those are actually selling there would be a big enough downtown population to support a nice center. And there are plenty of private investments to support this as well (new bars, restaurants etc.). Block 5 on Green Street for example, this place feels like being in NYC. So they just have to develop the area around it:). I moved to the Worcester area in 2001 and it was terrible back then, it came a long way since and with so many projects on the way I am very positive that it might work out.

That sounds like a great project, though it seems the developers are quite iffy about where their money is coming from. They mentioned a self-taxing business district supporting the project, while I think that's a great idea (we have one of those in Downtown Providence) they have to get the business community behind it. The way it came together in Providence is that the biggest landowner (Gilbane) got fully behind the measure and convinced everyone else it was best for them to sign on. Sounds like Worcester needs one of it's big business leaders to get behind this plan to make it happen.

• 4 weeks later...

The downtown building of the College of Pharmacy is completed and it looks beautiful. The Courthouse and the Hilton Garden Inn are going up and the first part of the Worcester Common park is completed. Everything looks pretty good so far. I will try to get some updated pictures on the weekend.

But the most exciting happening is the Worcester City Square. I started a new forum about this project, as it will be a huge. I pray that this will turn Worcester around. It's a big chance. If they are going to blow it, it will be time for me to move to Providence or Boston. I grew up in Europe and I can't stand to live in a city without downtown anymore.

Thanks for all the invitations! I will choose when Worcester fails. I took some photos of ongoing projects (Pharmacy College Building, Hilton, Courthouse). Could somebody explain to me know how I upload them onto this page???

I clicked on the little image icon and it asks me for an URL... Some idiot proof description here please...

I clicked on the little image icon and it asks me for an URL... Some idiot proof description here please...

I posted an explanation in the other Worcester thread and I eagerly await photos.

I wouldn't give up on Worcester yet, there's some good things in the pipeline there and it could really begin to turn around soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Worcester has always been funny to me it has the potential, especially with its close proximity to Boston, to develop into a cool city. It could easily become like Providence, or even Portland, ME (which is another cool little city in NE) but to me it has just always been the redheaded step brother of Providence, Boston, Hartford, and even Springfield. I hope this downtown plan does something for it...

Worcester has always been funny to me it has the potential, especially with its close proximity to Boston, to develop into a cool city. It could easily become like Providence, or even Portland, ME (which is another cool little city in NE) but to me it has just always been the redheaded step brother of Providence, Boston, Hartford, and even Springfield. I hope this downtown plan does something for it...

I am trying to figure this out since I moved here a couple of years ago. Worcester has beautiful neighborhoods, many of them are located on hills with steep roads and great views. All what is missing is a nice downtown and/or some nice walkable retail areas. The lack of development has a lot to do with the retarded attitudes of local politicians and interest groups. In potentially beautiful areas antiquated zoning laws are protecting blue color manufacturing instead of supporting housing and service/retail

That seems to be the New England attitude, the fear of change and fear that development will bring change, and for no friggen reason either. I've heard people in Providence that are LIVID about all the new condo projects, GTECH moving downtown, etc. Some people just don't get it. The most ridiculous thing I hear is "oh [insert name of new downtown development here] is going to cause so much traffic blah blah" Yeah, it will cause traffic, but hopefully foot traffic, cause it's in a city where it belongs. Get enough downtown developments and then maybe, god help us, transit can be improved and less people will have to drive downtown.

The most ridiculous thing I hear is "oh [insert name of new downtown development here] is going to cause so much traffic blah blah"

These are the same people who think nothing about sitting through three lights to make a left turn on Route 6 or Route 2 (or any random sprawl strip route) to shop at Walmart. Providence's traffic has nothing on sprawland in Attleboro or Seekonk or Cranston/Warwick.

These are the same people who think nothing about sitting through three lights to make a left turn on Route 6 or Route 2 (or any random sprawl strip route) to shop at Walmart. Providence's traffic has nothing on sprawland in Attleboro or Seekonk or Cranston/Warwick.

You got it! I have no sympathy.

I am trying to figure this out since I moved here a couple of years ago. Worcester has beautiful neighborhoods, many of them are located on hills with steep roads and great views. All what is missing is a nice downtown and/or some nice walkable retail areas. The lack of development has a lot to do with the retarded attitudes of local politicians and interest groups. In potentially beautiful areas antiquated zoning laws are protecting blue color manufacturing instead of supporting housing and service/retail

Worcester desperately needs density...Shrewsbury Street is OK, but it's Way too wide. They don't need 2 lanes each way...It creates the sense of walking along a highway...The absolute best area for development should be the Green St. area/Kelly Square/ Millbury St. It's by far the most urban dense area in all of Worcester. There's some great new spots open there now , but the rest of the area lacks class. The retail is sporadic ,mixed in with dive bars that still serve Schlitz ( or at least advertise it )and low-income housing...

I agree. It was good that they redid Shrewsbury street, but I don't understand why they didn't widen the sidewalks, so the restaurants could establish outside seating. I guess Worcester people are afraid to drive on 1 lane roads. They have a sick relationship to cars around here. It seems like the biggest discussion point about citysquare is if there will be free parking available... And everybody blames the parking fees for the failing of the mall - it was $ 1.

Canal distict/Green St. Area area has great potential, especially if the canal on Harding Street would become reality.

They just finished the new bus station at the Union station. It is right next to the Union station on the Centrum Boulevard, facing what will be the citysquare. Greyhound and Peter Pan will move their Worcester station to this location. So Union Station becomes a transportation hub in the middle of the new downtown. They did a good job with the new bus station. Its design fits the Union Station very well. Behind the Union station they started demolition of an old building and will replace it with a parking garage for park and ride.

union_bus.jpg

Archived