"Triangle Noir" development

memp600

The CA had an article in today's paper about a redevelopment plan for 20 blocks of downtown real estate that is dotted with abandoned buildings and public housing. The article cites an inquiry it obtained from the city that calls for an expanded beale street, a new 300 room luxury Phoenix Hotel along with other hotels, new public housing like the Uptown neighborhood, and other private developments to go along with it. Link below.

Triangle Noir article

• 2 months later...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read that article in the paper awhile back and it is very ambitious. Definitely would like to see such a plan get off the ground in one form or another, but at this time I don't see much of anything happening until the economy picks up quite a bit and probably until after the city elects a new mayor.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The Land Use Control Board approved plans for the new hotel today, according to MBJ:

http://memphis.bizjournals.com/memphis/sto...10/daily30.html

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is what the hotel will be called, as they are currently in negotiations with two major hotel brands (Hilton was mentioned in the article, but who knows).

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see this has been approved. The downtown definitely needs new hotels. This is what's hoilding us back from having the NBA All-Star game in town. Lack of hotel rooms in downtown. If the One Beale ever gets groundbreaking to happen and built then that'll help the cause more. The city most deifnitely needs to rebuild south of FedEx Forum the most. That's lost wasted real estate space for great possibilities for future development. I would like to see a new entertainment district developed there connecting with Beale and Danny Thomas. I would like to see new museums, retail shops, clubs and restaurants. They could also consider building the new concention center in that location.

Archived