Google Earth

crinzema

I would love to do this but I do not a good way to get downtown to take pictures to show the sides of the buildings. Secondly I am not too sure if it would be a good idea to take a picture of the federal building. Not sure but I think that would be risky. In anycase after May I may be able to work on this but not until then. BTW I was just testing the program when it comes to the Convention Center.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:yahoo::):thumbsup::yahoo: Okay you can tell I am slightly happy. I was messing around with the program agian and uhm I co do the convention center in a heart beat if I had dimensions. It be easy as sin to do. I found out how to do curved roofs very easily. Its peice of cake. That building above any makes grand rapids, grand rapids IMHO. So can anyone help me out with it? Of course it will be a blank sided building until somebody provides pics for me to use or they can add it on to it. In anycase it looks pretty easy to do. If my uncle was still in town I could ask him to look those up for me but he is in florida now.

:yahoo::):thumbsup::yahoo: Okay you can tell I am slightly happy. I was messing around with the program agian and uhm I co do the convention center in a heart beat if I had dimensions. It be easy as sin to do. I found out how to do curved roofs very easily. Its peice of cake. That building above any makes grand rapids, grand rapids IMHO. So can anyone help me out with it? Of course it will be a blank sided building until somebody provides pics for me to use or they can add it on to it. In anycase it looks pretty easy to do. If my uncle was still in town I could ask him to look those up for me but he is in florida now.

I'll definitely help you with the convention center. As far as the dimensions go, for many buildings, just an Ariel photo would be enough to show most of the dimensions of the building. I've long since given up hope with making my building models blueprint precise, except for the height. The convention center has many dimensions that can't be found by an aerial photo, but with side shots, most dimensions can be revealed. Have you joined the grand rapids group yet? I'll try to find and work on getting good pics for the sides of the building and get them uploaded to the group. I've found out that it is necessary to manipulate the photos because of the perspective distortion. That, I've found, to be the most time consuming part of the whole process.

As far as the bird's eye photos provide by map.live.com. When it is all said and done, when you have to adjust for the perspective distortion, the quality of the image is less than that of Google's street view.

Well I placed a temp devos place to get you an idea of what I have been able to pull off. The problem I have is the curves really make it difficult to get a good look of the building. If I can get the Devos place done I like to do the airport next just the fun of it hehe. :rolleyes:

With photos, it's much easier to carve a building out. But for starting out with no photos, aowwt, I'm stunned :shok: with what you were able to come up with. Not completed yet though. Uploaded file to gr group. And by the way, the grcc cook building in the back is crooked. I don't know who created that building but i found it online and decided to put it in the G.R. collection anyway.

3262056454_6b0a78b7f5_o.jpg

And before i forget, major props to Eridony, JohnE, and GrDadof3 for the hundreds of photos online. You guys seem to be the only ones taking quality pictures of downtown that I can use for this kind of thing.

Well I got a new file for the devos place updated. I think its dead on accurate now. Just need some photos on it. Take a look at it and see what you can do. BTW I have only messed with this a little. I had 3 years of Auto Cad experince in High School and still use it on occasions. In anycase its pretty easy for me to do any design work once I have the software figured out.

hehe no the vegiation is done by the pics. So if you want to see some snow just take a picture with some snow in it then find a building to draw. paste that on the building and you can have your snow.

BTW the convention center looks awesome as he did most of the work I merely helped with one tiny aspect. The Federal building was mine :mellow: yes I decided to take on the UGLIEST building in town to do for my first major aspect. Crinze helped in putting the photos on it and also adding two feet as I was about to do that when I thought about it. I think the building needs a further 2 feet but I think it will be fine.

• 1 month later...

Did this effort just lose steam? It didn't look like any new buildings had been added recently. Just curious, as I really like those screenshots.

It lost steam when after 30 days when the buildings were not accepted into google earth. I think it still can be added if people recommend a city collection to be published. I kind of just got sick and of it after a while. I just worked to hard to quickly to get as much done as possible. Where was that wise wisdom of "slow and steady wins the race"? I would love some help on this project from an assortment of people. It's not as hard as you might think. Just play around with it first and you'll naturally pick it up.

The problem for me at least is I do not have access to pictures of the buildings downtown. For instance a lot of buildings downtown need all 4 sides pictured. Plus there is a few things I picked up that needs to be taken care of in the ones we submitted that wasnt. So I think there is some work that needs to be done but I have too much on my plate so right now. Plus I do have another issue is that some software they suggest I use, I do not have access to.

Great job guys! But I find it strange that someone would do that ugly Law Building before doing the cool Trust, Waters or Ledyard buildings.

It's coming together extremely quickly now. Today I've completed 4 new buildings, redone the chase building, fixing the grcc building, and half completed 5 other buildings. My attention span is only 30 minutes, so I jump from one building to the next while completing only a few. I don't have a method to my madness.

I also created a unfinished building collection for Grand Rapids Here. http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/cld...3d06b8deea8d62c

3389190144_e03a8fc583_b.jpg

6 buildings, I think one has my name on it hehe. Just ribbin with ya Crinzema. You helped me a lot with the federal building. BTW we should update those with eliminating the wire frame lines that I dont think were removed. I will take a look at those buildings to see if those have them. In anycase I think the Riverhouse is going to be sitting there for while.

Archived