Google Earth

crinzema

Check out Google Earth now, they've certified 11 more buildings i've modeled plus someone modeled part of the GRCC campus. I believe that would make about 20 Certified buildings for grand rapids in Google Earth. I've just finished my accelerated summer class at grcc this past week and I have a friend who's going to help me with this. This project is about to go into high gear again.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great job. I don't have Google Earth installed, what is virtual GR looking like these days?

Joe

Check out Google Earth now, they've certified 11 more buildings i've modeled plus someone modeled part of the GRCC campus. I believe that would make about 20 Certified buildings for grand rapids in Google Earth. I've just finished my accelerated summer class at grcc this past week and I have a friend who's going to help me with this. This project is about to go into high gear again.

Great job. I don't have Google Earth installed, what is virtual GR looking like these days?

Joe

It's looking like the pictures above, it's just that now, the buildings are verified by Google and now can be seen by anyone using google earth without needing to download the building models individually to see them in google earth. I haven't gotten around to working on this project because i've been so busy lately. I'm going to also try to clean up some of the buildings i've made already and put more detail in them, because the only reason why Google Earth is better than Microsoft's Virtual Earth is the quality of the models and I would like to keep it that way.

It's looking like the pictures above, it's just that now, the buildings are verified by Google and now can be seen by anyone using google earth without needing to download the building models individually to see them in google earth. I haven't gotten around to working on this project because i've been so busy lately. I'm going to also try to clean up some of the buildings i've made already and put more detail in them, because the only reason why Google Earth is better than Microsoft's Virtual Earth is the quality of the models and I would like to keep it that way.

Excellent, I was going to suggest some touching up. The back side of Morton House is visually inaccurate, but could be solved by giving it a plain creme texture with windows.

Van Andel Arena is coming along also. Not all of these buildings are certified yet. To get them to certify new buildings, which they aren't seeming to do, I might have to put a construction crane next to it.

3560055515_8ca7c91145_b.jpg

And by the way, Windows 7 is running like a dream. It does crash when I have Google Earth, Virtual Earth, and Sketchup running at the same time though.

Say after looking at the Childrens hopspital I was thinking maybe the Government Center should be redone aka the Federal, County, and City with the parking ramp built up first then the buildings on top of them. Just thinking. Hmm I wish I had the time to do that though. I am getting busier by the minute now it seems. :(<_<

BTW I do not think they will certify the new buildings on the Hill unless you can provide some actual pictures of the buildings with video or something. I believe they need to see the buildings on a satalite photo first.

I just took a look at another mapping companies site of Grand Rapids, they have an image of Grand Rapids from last May. Google appears to be from at least 3 years ago if not longer. It looks like the Art Museum was just starting. Here is the link to Globalxplorers map of Grand Rapids.

I'm starting to prepare myself for a "photo assault" on grand rapids from which I base my building models. I've divided GR in 12 districts. I need friends in high places to get this done. If anyone knows a place or can get me onto a roof of some sort to get a better angle, that would be much appreciated. Satellite views won't cut it this time because I need to work off of vanishing lines. One in particular that I'm looking for is the McKay tower overlooking the GRAM. Heres a sneak peak of what i've been able to accomplish with that. Not complete and a little ruff around the edges but with more work, will look amazing.

3572398512_08c0b8b7db_b.jpg

I'm starting to prepare myself for a "photo assault" on grand rapids from which I base my building models. I've divided GR in 12 districts. I need friends in high places to get this done. If anyone knows a place or can get me onto a roof of some sort to get a better angle, that would be much appreciated. Satellite views won't cut it this time because I need to work off of vanishing lines. One in particular that I'm looking for is the McKay tower overlooking the GRAM. Heres a sneak peak of what i've been able to accomplish with that. Not complete and a little ruff around the edges but with more work, will look amazing.

3572398512_08c0b8b7db_b.jpg

Will this help?

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...8&encType=1

The other three views are older, with construction scaffolding.

Speaking of Google Earth... is it me, or does Michigan look a lot better today? In the past, I remember MI had a lot of 'satellite stripes' of good pics and other not so good. Today... it looks pretty uniform across the entire state.

That is a super cool video of the modeling. You sure are doing some awesome work.

Let me know if you need any shots.

Here is a shot you may be able to use:

3016381405_59a4dc9d0f.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johne777/3016...57608565783924/

I have more good shots in the November 2008 New Camera set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johne777/sets...57608565783924/

~John

Yeep it looks like Google got hold of the USDA Farm Agency photos. They now have about every state covered. I am just utterly amazed at Washington DC. The number of taller buildings is just amazing. In any case the US Naval Observatory is up on Google. I remember a while back that was blocked out in one or several of the photo companies.

BTW the USDA photos from what I see from ImageAtlas is they are from 2005 at 1m resolution. Rather the southern Grand Rapids appears to be from 2004 but at a higher .6m resolution. The downtown also appears to be a 2005 image. As for resolution I have no idea. Terraserver does not have that image on their servers any more.

To streamline this process, I'd like to get you, urbanplaneteers, to carry the torch on your own turf. Own or work at a business or building that you'd like to see modeled in Google Earth. Please follow these steps so that your business is one of the first businesses modeled in Google Earth. There are no qualifications other than that it has to be in the Grand rapids area. Please reply back in this format.

1: Name of Business

2: A description as long or short as you want it to be about the building/business. And if you have a website, provide the link.

3: Address

4: Photos of building. Please follow this format of taking pictures of the building the best you can. Upload them to flickr and provide me a link. If flickr is not your thing, email me at my new email at VirtualGR.gmail.com with name of business/building, description and website link, address and attach photos

3590029254_e90d37d9e7_b.jpg

Pass the torch if you know someone who owns a business as well.

• 1 month later...

Skyline is forming. Much of what is in this image has not yet been added to google's 3d Warehouse. I've Completely finished the Gram, although there are some texturing abnormalities that have cause that building model not to be accepted into Google Earth yet.

3749976882_75b344d914_o.jpg

true we wouldnt want your head to explode and hence not be able to finish the city. So you better start working at it. I mean gosh its been a day and have you posted another building yet or not. We are hungry for more buildings you know. hehe.

Yes I know some people have helped but you still are the one that took the bull by the horns and has led GR out of google obscurity and led it into the 3d world. So you still get my congrats.

Grand_Rapids_BirdsEye_July24th.jpg

Grand_Rapids_July24th.jpg

Here is a couple of images for those that have difficulties with google earth. BTW if you do have the program but do not know how to get the buildings to show, just use the check boxes. The one that says 3d buildings make sure that is a solid check not a shaded one. That should load up all of the buildings that are on google. I would also suggest the terrian be checked as well. That will show how the ground looks compared to the some of the buildings. Although some of the buildings are floating. We will need to get that corrected sometime.

I wish i could look at it, or any city for that matter with proper 3-D buildings. But Google Earth isn't 100% campatable with Vista 64-bit. The buildings show up, but their textures are blurry. :( Hopefully there will be a fix for that in the next version.

It's looking really good in the screenshots though.

Eh, the textures are pretty blurry to begin with. =p They could certainly use some touching up once most of the buildings get added into the system.

I have noticed though... the Main GRCC building in Google Earth looks absolutely nothing like what it does in real life. Same shape, that's about it. Where the heck did that texture come from?

Archived