New Uptown Corridor Improvement Distict being formed.

GRDadof3

At tomorrow's City Commission meeting, they will discuss the formation of the Uptown Corridor Improvement District. Similar to the DDA, it will capture taxes on improvements to the area, and put them back into infrastructure and aesthetic improvements in the area. Several leaders in the Uptown area have been working on it for two years, and it's quite large, stretching from Fulton Heights, through Midtown, East Hills, Eastown, Baxter and Madison (along Wealthy).

Anyone have any more info on this?

3228804551_0a74c3dd24_o.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At tomorrow's City Commission meeting, they will discuss the formation of the Uptown Corridor Improvement District. Similar to the DDA, it will capture taxes on improvements to the area, and put them back into infrastructure and aesthetic improvements in the area. Several leaders in the Uptown area have been working on it for two years, and it's quite large, stretching from Fulton Heights, through Midtown, East Hills, Eastown, Baxter and Madison (along Wealthy).

There are a lot of perks. Here are some things I've taken away from some of the Uptown meetings and talking to people knowledgeable on the topic:

Incremental tax dollars stay in the district (that is, the taxes gained from increases to taxable values after the CID, and I believe all taxes from new projects)

Usually small change at first, but it increases over time

Public entities can opt out (libraries, schools, etc)

Corridor Improvement Authority oversees planning/use of the funds

Can be used to make improvements, but not MAINTENANCE of the improvements (more like a DDA, not the DA--maintenance could be done through a special assessment, volunteers, help from neighborhoods, etc)

Use for a wide array of things--streetscapes, transit, even buying real estate for redevelopment

Zoning changes can result, if I remember correctly

Doesn't mean that city-planned infrastructure improvements won't happen

Cheaper/easier liquor licenses

...I'll stop there, but I know there's a lot more.

Come out tomorrow night (Tuesday) and show your support! 7 pm at the City Commission meeting.

Reading through the proposal, I can't help but hear the voices of Urban Planet:

"Law office on SW corner of Diamond Cherry should open facade for greater transparency."

"Need more bike racks!!"

"New Yorker needs facade improvement..."

"Street lights on Fulton may be too short. Cannot hang banners."

Reading through the proposal, I can't help but hear the voices of Urban Planet:

"Law office on SW corner of Diamond Cherry should open facade for greater transparency."

"Need more bike racks!!"

"New Yorker needs facade improvement..."

"Street lights on Fulton may be too short. Cannot hang banners."

Passed unanimously.

Jendrasiak made a comment that people should be aware of the affect that this could have on city revenues affecting police and fire.

LaGrand responded that as the proposal was written, after the tax capture gets to a certain size, part of the money will get funneled back to the general fund to contribute to these expenses.

There will be a public hearing on Feb. 17th and then, from my understanding, a final vote will be cast to make everything official.

This was my first city commission meeting and I actually kind of enjoyed myself. I have a pretty good attention span, though, and also a weird interest in how meetings work and how things like this are run.

Passed unanimously.

Jendrasiak made a comment that people should be aware of the affect that this could have on city revenues affecting police and fire.

LaGrand responded that as the proposal was written, after the tax capture gets to a certain size, part of the money will get funneled back to the general fund to contribute to these expenses.

There will be a public hearing on Feb. 17th and then, from my understanding, a final vote will be cast to make everything official.

This was my first city commission meeting and I actually kind of enjoyed myself. I have a pretty good attention span, though, and also a weird interest in how meetings work and how things like this are run.

FYI...This is the email that Kimberly Van Dyk, Executive Director of Neighborhood Ventures, just sent out about last night's City Commission Meeting:

Uptown Stakeholders,

Thank you to all for being a part of this process to date! Things went well yesterday at City Commission.

Just recap of yesterday and where we go from here:

* Yesterday morning at City Commission

• 3 weeks later...

Next Tuesday, the proposed Uptown CID moves to the next stage, a Public Hearing before the City Commission so they can hear from the public on the creation of the Uptown CID. This is required by law before a CID can be created.

Another show of support from any and all UPer's able to attend would help keep this moving forward....

When: Tuesday, February 17th, 7:00 PM

Where: City Hall, 300 Monroe NW, 9th floor-city commission chambers

Parking: Free parking under city hall

Once the hearing has been held, the Uptown CID proposal will then go back to City Commission on March 10 for a vote.

Next Tuesday, the proposed Uptown CID moves to the next stage, a Public Hearing before the City Commission so they can hear from the public on the creation of the Uptown CID. This is required by law before a CID can be created.

Another show of support from any and all UPer's able to attend would help keep this moving forward....

When: Tuesday, February 17th, 7:00 PM

Where: City Hall, 300 Monroe NW, 9th floor-city commission chambers

Parking: Free parking under city hall

Once the hearing has been held, the Uptown CID proposal will then go back to City Commission on March 10 for a vote.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are an Uptown Stakeholder...mark your calendars...

On Tues., April 21, at 7:00 PM, City Hall, 300 Monroe NW, 9th floor, the GR City Commission will finally act on the opportunity to create the Uptown Corridor Improvement District and appoint the Authority Board.

It is not too late to show your support, by writing and email or letters of support to city commissioners, and of course by coming on April 21st!

The Uptown Forward Team is also seeking local stakeholders to serve on the future Uptown CID Authority Board.

This board will be charged with promoting economic growth, preventing and correcting deterioration, and encouraging the preservation of Uptown.

There is no limit on the number of names you can submit. You do not have to ask the folks you are thinking of yet if they want to serve. The Uptown Forward Team ad hoc nominating committee will compile names and potentially add more names. They will then distribute the list and enlist your help in approaching these folks about serving.

Attached are some parameters to help you think of names of folks to serve. The Uptown Forward team doesn't actually the final say on who sits in the board...that is the job of the city commission, mayor and the city manager. But they do want to generate excitement and interest in this opportunity to get the best pool of possible applicants.

Some information to go by, at least for starters:

• 3 weeks later...

Well - chatter on UP positive! We are nearing the end of the mandated 60 day wait. The City Commission will decide on creating the Uptown CID at their meeting on April 21st. Heads up for another night at CC meeting and hopefully celebrating success. Long over due is the time when neighborhood business districts can use the same improvement tools as downtown!

Archived