Best Pizza in Charlotte

Commoner

(Just kidding about the last one.)

The EpiCentre thread has some solid reviews of Libretto's for its authentic NYC-style pizza. Tony's, near the lake (I think) appears to have a loyal following. I'm shocked that Luisa's, on Montford, wasn't mentioned.

I haven't been to Libretto's, but plan to. I've never been to Tony's. Are the Libretto's and Tony's devotees missing out on Luisa's? What about some of the others? Helen Schwab's review of MezzaNotte's wasn't encouraging. I thought Pie Town was good, but not worth the price you pay when you could get two pizzas from Luisa's for half the price of your meal at Pie Town.

Since it's germane but not a good continuation of the EpiCentre retail thread, I thought I'd see what people come up with...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MezzaNotte pizzas were pretty good when I was there: the toppings were all fresh and well balanced, crust was not too chewy, but could have been a bit crispier, though that is my personal preference.

I still prefer Luisa's - consistent and good value - just eat it in the restaurant (which is no where near as upscale appearing as most other places with good pizza in Charlotte - it's all about priorities) to get the best crust experience. And don't go on kids night.

I know House of Pizza has a loyal following especially with the older-crowd(baby-boomers) that grew up with it. The pizza is pretty good but I dont know about calling it the greatest in Charlotte.

For you people on the south side of Charlotte, you should know about Carmella's and their dollar slice night every tuesday from 5pm-close(2am), dollar slices and dollar beers(domestics I think).

Pizza Peel (former Mellow Mushroom, renovated) off of Sharon Amity and Randolph is definitely one of my favorites now. A friend of mine took me there the other night. They have the best Hawaiian barbecue pizza I have ever had. I had two drafts and an 8 inch (I wasn't that hungry,) and it somehow only came to $8. The bar staff is all very nice and I love the atmosphere.

House of Pizza isn't bad, but I actually prefer their combination steak subs (philly's) better. The staff there is very stereotypical for an authentic pizza place too (even though they're Greek.) I know several people that consider them family.

I'm excited to try out the places you guys have mentioned so far though. I've been looking for a good pizza place to take guests to for awhile.

The Tony's pizza is a small chain around here. There is one at the in Huntersville, Moorsville, Hickory, and one across from CIC on Harris. I go to the one once in a while across from CIC when at work. It's authentic as the owners came straight from Italy to Brooklyn to here. There pizza is quite good if you like NY style. Looking forward to trying Librettos.

Sorry but I'm going to have to go with Wolfmans as I did in the previous thread.

On another note, can someone please direct me to a good pizza place in NYC. I have lived in Brooklyn for nearly 9 months now, and have yet to find a pie that I like. Someone please help me!!!!

I have to go with ZIO's on Providence Rd behind the Boston Market. With Intermezzo in second.

I haven't tried Luisa's or Liberetto's yet but I have tried the following:

-Wolfman

-Mellow Mushroom

-Tony's

-Luigi's

-Fuel

-Paventti's

-Rudino's

-Brix

-Brooklyn South Pizza

-Hawthorne

-Due Amici

-Amalfi's

-Portofinos

Hawthorne's plain cheese pizza. Closest thing I am used to from 21 years in Northeast PA.

On a side note, Dan Morgan (formerly of the Panthers) is opening a coal fired oven pizza place in that Robinson Farm thing in Ballentyne.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/business/story/472820.html

I forgot the coal fired taste until I was back in NYC a few months ago. Yummmm.

Sorry but I'm going to have to go with Wolfmans as I did in the previous thread.

On another note, can someone please direct me to a good pizza place in NYC. I have lived in Brooklyn for nearly 9 months now, and have yet to find a pie that I like. Someone please help me!!!!

Archived