Columbia Traffic Congestion, Road Construction, and Planning

Spartan

But if we get ahead of the curve with commuting and general transportation issues and stay there, we'll be a place that more and more people want to live.

I'm glad you took the magazine off the dashboard for Part 2. By the time you made it back through, rush-hour traffic seemed to have subsided. I enjoyed both videos. Columbia is a very heavily tree-scaped city.

• 5 months later...

It sounds like the Transportation Plan is being revived. The article in The State spins it as though it would only help transit, but it will help ALL types of transportation including bicycles, pedestrians, vehicles, and transit. The article doesn't get into that at all though, which is unfortunate.

Voters could get to make a decision in referendum as soon as this november.

The State

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heres my Idea i had for 6 years now. finally Drawn down on Detailed paper.

Proposed by me Interstate 526 Connector. http://www.flickr.com/photos/25873309@N07/4535110085/in/photostream/

ps Please make it Full screen so you can see the Details.

For example this how the Connector Would run threw Columbia http://www.flickr.com/photos/25873309@N07/4535110679/in/photostream/

This is a Drawing example of How it would look running Threw Town http://www.flickr.com/photos/25873309@N07/4535110741/in/photostream/

And this is the Multi Story Deck i was talking about for a while but theres a Kicker. Something that would be great for the City http://www.flickr.com/photos/25873309@N07/4535744564/in/photostream/

The Double decker interstate would be Over the Railroad Tracks in Downtown running from Interstate 20- Interstate 77. The downtown Section of the Highway. would Cap off the Railroad Tracks with a Public Park that Runs From Huger st All the way down to Half way to the Amtrak Station. it would be made up of Biking area 2 basektball courts, 2 tennis courts and Public Bathrooms and Areas for local vendors.

Tell me What you Think Guys. and also can you help me present this to the City of Columbia.

Interesting. So what's your reasoning for running an interstate though the city on that particular route?

It wont Distrub Neighborhoods or Tear threw Wetlands. it will help nature and Keep the Peace of neighborhood

It runs over the Train tracks from I-77 Threw Town all the Way down to I-20/ it will connect I-126 Also. my original Plans took the Sam route but with a Inter loop following the Tran tracks around the City Around USC. - 277.

I noticed that some preliminary work on the Broad River Bridge between Lucius and Riverhill/Bentley has begun. The SCDOT website seems kind of vague on the plans; has anyone seen what the plans are or a timetable for the work to be done?

Not sure of the timetable, but I know the bridge will have an architectural element that will resemble arches, much like the Gervais St bridge. It'll make for an interesting structure from the river walk.

Not sure of the timetable, but I know the bridge will have an architectural element that will resemble arches, much like the Gervais St bridge. It'll make for an interesting structure from the river walk.

One of my Cousins told me that there about to Build rowhouses on the shoreline next to the Bridge.

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised nobody posted this-

County Council will make a decision June 15th on whether or not to let Richland County's residents decide whether or not they want to tax themselves for better roads and transit service.

They didn't allow voters to decide two years ago, and I sincerely hope they change their minds this time around. Voting to allow it on the ballot just means that you want to let voters decide, not that you support higher taxes.

The State

I agree in principle, however we can't discount the fact that there are a lot of road-related needs in Richland County.

I didn't realize that Richland was already at 10% sales tax though. Does anyone have a breakdown of what the current sales taxes go towards? For example, I know the Zoo gets a portion of it (maybe 0.5¢)

Thirty or forty percent of video poker proceeds to transit? No way that would ever happen. To be politically feasible at all, legislators would have to sell video poker as being for education (see: the lottery) or, possible but much less likely, health care or some other big tent idea. Even if we assume video poker would go to transit, let's be honest and realize, in this state and most other states, that money would be spent on roads, not rail. Even the transit-specific tax initiative in Richland County only dedicates 33% to mass transit (and that means buses, not rail - at least at this point).