1940s/50s Detroit

Allan

Here is an interesting pan from the late 1940s or early 1950s. The view is looking up Fort Street to downtown. This was when Detroit was at its peak.

Skyline13PC.jpg

Note the Book-Cadillac Hotel in the center, which is being renovated right now. Apparently the deal has not been made public just in case it falls through again, but there is a master stone mason on the site making repairs to the building.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great picture! I too love these older pictures.

The cadilac hotel looks great, but the book tower still looked dirty back then! I guess that is what the building is supposed to look like?!? Also, the tower to the right of the Cadilac Hotel is from the Hudsons, correct?

:( Pretty much none of them. This where cobo is

There is still a few older buildings along W. Fort in that area.

All of the skyscrapers that I can see are still all standing also.

And Cobo is actually a couple of blocks southeast.

This is more closer to the area that the Riverfront towers, Wayne county community college and close to where Joe Louis arena are now standing.

It looks like the photo was taken from the roof of the post office.

Great picture! I too love these older pictures.

The cadilac hotel looks great, but the book tower still looked dirty back then! I guess that is what the building is supposed to look like?!? Also, the tower to the right of the Cadilac Hotel is from the Hudsons, correct?

The Book bldg. I don't think was supposed to look dirty, it's just the details that captures shadows.

The building to the right is the David Stott bldg.

Hudsons is pretty much blinded at this angle.

Thanks Ivory Tower. I'm not used to seeing the city from this angle and back in this time, so I though the David Stott was further up from the river. But judging by the back of the Dime, I see you're right and I see where the Hudson's should be. Does anyone have some good older photos of the Hudsons?

Archived