Trees or billboards

gs3

This article is simply an outrage! :shok::shok:

100 trees that were planted along Airport Blvd. near Columbia's airport as part of a beautification project, are now "blocking billboards" per SCDOT, and SCDOT is requesting that 45 of the 100 trees be cut down so "people can see the billboards"!!!!!! Absolutely ignorant, absurd, out of touch, F'ed up, backward, stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It should be the billboards being removed, not the trees!

http://www.thestate.com/local/story/669362.html

This is an SC DOT issue, and even if you don't live in the Midlands, you should voice your anger (I hope everyone is angry about this). SCDOT could be doing this same thing in the Lowcountry, Upstate or PeeDee.....this is a statewide issue! I sincerely hope Lexington Co., Cayce and Springdale are actively fighting this......I hope anyone that reads this will actively voice your opinion.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's my route to and from work every day. I just wonder why trees that would block the billboards when mature were planted there in the first place. The billboard industry in this state has such a lobby that it's like, duh, we can't be planting trees that will block them out. Billboards are unfortunately a part of the landscape, and it costs a lot to take one down and put one somewhere else. So why did the SCDOT allow this to happen? I hate billboards and I cherish trees, but logic is logic.

Unfortunately billboards are an easy way to make money for doing nothing. I suspect its the ultimate goal of anyone on a major highway to have one on their property. Nobody in South Carolina cares about aesthetics enough to do anything about it since doing anything would mean bringing up the property rights issue.

If the article is accurate I'm glad, but I wonder how the SCDOT can override state law that was mandated when the state legislature sided with the billboard industry. Also, I have been disappointed since they first planted the trees that on one side of the highway there are grand trees and on the other side there are only crepe myrtles and magnolias. They blew an opportunity to create a much more dramatic and prettier drive.

We're always getting letters to the editor from people out of state who are highly impressed with Columbia's airport. The landscaping from the airport from Airport Blvd to Platt Springs Road is beautiful. The airport itself is just as beautiful. The SCDOT is going to build a connector from I-26 straight into the airport service road within the next few years. I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience flying out of here.

We're always getting letters to the editor from people out of state who are highly impressed with Columbia's airport. The landscaping from the airport from Airport Blvd to Platt Springs Road is beautiful. The airport itself is just as beautiful. The SCDOT is going to build a connector from I-26 straight into the airport service road within the next few years. I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience flying out of here.

Archived