The Brooklyn Super Wal-Mart?

Lowerdeck

A major controversy has gathered in the rural eastern town of Brooklyn (pop. 7800), as Wal-Mart looks to build a Supercenter on some farm land along Route 6. Supporters think it'll be a good convenience and a boost to the tax base. Opponents (myself being one) happen to point out the rural nature of the town being no place for a big box store like that, and the approximate location of three other Wal-Marts within a reasonable distance. The store in Putnam (13.5 miles north I-395), and then the Supercenters in North Windham (15 miles west on Route 6) and in Lisbon (20 miles south down 395).

This plan makes absolutely no sense. A more logical idea would be to close the Putnam store, and open a Supercenter in Dayville opposite the new Killingly Commons plaza... where several shopping centers remain half empty already.

I'm sure all of you are unfamiliar with the area, but I've been reading up on the project and the debate in the local newspapers. It's quite a stir, to protect the rural character of the "Last Green Valley" or to do whatever in order to increase business and tax revenues.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A major controversy has gathered in the rural eastern town of Brooklyn (pop. 7800), as Wal-Mart looks to build a Supercenter on some farm land along Route 6. Supporters think it'll be a good convenience and a boost to the tax base. Opponents (myself being one) happen to point out the rural nature of the town being no place for a big box store like that, and the approximate location of three other Wal-Marts within a reasonable distance. The store in Putnam (13.5 miles north I-395), and then the Supercenters in North Windham (15 miles west on Route 6) and in Lisbon (20 miles south down 395).

This plan makes absolutely no sense. A more logical idea would be to close the Putnam store, and open a Supercenter in Dayville opposite the new Killingly Commons plaza... where several shopping centers remain half empty already.

I'm sure all of you are unfamiliar with the area, but I've been reading up on the project and the debate in the local newspapers. It's quite a stir, to protect the rural character of the "Last Green Valley" or to do whatever in order to increase business and tax revenues.

I have a feeling that if Brooklyn shoots down the proposal, it'll probably end up in some part of Plainfield or Killingly. Granted, these towns have more suitable places for box stores... but they also have more business tax base already.

As said, it might make sense near Exit 93 in Dayville, where there's already a nearly abandoned shopping center, then closing the regular Wal-Mart in Putnam. There's already been a lot of rumors that Wal-Mart is unhappy with their Putnam location, being too small and not being a Supercenter.

Archived