Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frankie811

Providence's wish list

76 posts in this topic

I agree. Maybe thats for just the tracks for the first line? Maybe that just buys the cars? Not sure.

I do like the 22M to fix up the Amtrak station & garage. That seems like quite a bit of money for a renovation (unless the building has bigger issues than any of us know about).

3M to expand RIPTA 56, 20, 99, 11 sounds good too.

Does anyone know the details of what the "downtown circulator" might be?

I do like the 22M to fix up the Amtrak station & garage. That seems like quite a bit of money for a renovation (unless the building has bigger issues than any of us know about).

Perhaps the RIPTA "Gaspee" hub and the street car line are connected, which would mean that $40M+ would be somewhat combined to make it all possible.

What is the most likely route that would connect Brown, the train station and the Hospitals?

What is the most likely route that would connect Brown, the train station and the Hospitals?

1000-Space structured parking facility to serve Garrahy Judicial Complex and the relocation of the Brown University Medical Education Center

There are plans to expand parking capacity here, I assume that is part of the $22million.

Note to transit planners: Be Prepared for Success!

The entire train station is a lesson in not planning for success. Imagine if more than one train an hour pulled through there, where would people wait. There's what, room for 30 to sit comfortably in the rotunda?

Great news, but what we really need is to get some tracks out towards the Valley, Olneyville, South Providence, PC, and up towards Pawtucket. Where do we get the other $200m or so that we would need to accomplish this?

Even a rudimentary streetcar system could do so much for a city like Providence. And fudge, if Newark can have a subway line ...

The multiplyer effect of any streetcar line is the ability for RIPTA to then free up some buses/trolleys to do other things or add them to high demand routes.

What I heard a long long time ago is that the city wants one line (literally, one track) connecting the train station, Brown, and the Hospitals.

What I heard a long long time ago is that the city wants one line (literally, one track) connecting the train station, Brown, and the Hospitals.

The NIMBY crowd on College Hill will never allow a light rail line to be built in that area. The first line built should go from downtown right down Broad St to RW Park. That area has a greater need for public transpotation and will offer the least resistance.

Unfortunately for the NIMBY crowd, I think Brown has a lot more power to make decisions than they do. I do agree with you though, that the city should probably be looking to use this to serve areas other than the east side first. As for which areas that should be, it's anyone's guess. You represent Washington Park, so of course it's a given that you'd like to see it there. I happen to think Broadway/Atwells/Olneyville would be a great choice as well.

The NIMBY crowd on College Hill will never allow a light rail line to be built in that area. The first line built should go from downtown right down Broad St to RW Park. That area has a greater need for public transpotation and will offer the least resistance.

Why would the College Hill NIMBY crowd not permit a light-rail line in their neighborhood, if it's located in a mile long tunnel that runs under the entire Eastside completely out of view? If the line were built they would use it just as everyone else in other parts of the city would.

Why would the College Hill NIMBY crowd not permit a light-rail line in their neighborhood, if it's located in a mile long tunnel that runs under the entire Eastside completely out of view? If the line were built they would use it just as everyone else in other parts of the city would.

I get it. You are proposing an entirely new underground transit system to run the entire length of the Eastside. Indeed, why would the NIBMY crowd object to such an expensive accommodation? When you put it that way it makes perfect sense.