Providence's wish list

Frankie811

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. Maybe thats for just the tracks for the first line? Maybe that just buys the cars? Not sure.

I do like the 22M to fix up the Amtrak station & garage. That seems like quite a bit of money for a renovation (unless the building has bigger issues than any of us know about).

3M to expand RIPTA 56, 20, 99, 11 sounds good too.

Does anyone know the details of what the "downtown circulator" might be?

Great news, but what we really need is to get some tracks out towards the Valley, Olneyville, South Providence, PC, and up towards Pawtucket. Where do we get the other $200m or so that we would need to accomplish this?

Even a rudimentary streetcar system could do so much for a city like Providence. And fudge, if Newark can have a subway line ...

What I heard a long long time ago is that the city wants one line (literally, one track) connecting the train station, Brown, and the Hospitals.

The NIMBY crowd on College Hill will never allow a light rail line to be built in that area. The first line built should go from downtown right down Broad St to RW Park. That area has a greater need for public transpotation and will offer the least resistance.

Unfortunately for the NIMBY crowd, I think Brown has a lot more power to make decisions than they do. I do agree with you though, that the city should probably be looking to use this to serve areas other than the east side first. As for which areas that should be, it's anyone's guess. You represent Washington Park, so of course it's a given that you'd like to see it there. I happen to think Broadway/Atwells/Olneyville would be a great choice as well.

The NIMBY crowd on College Hill will never allow a light rail line to be built in that area. The first line built should go from downtown right down Broad St to RW Park. That area has a greater need for public transpotation and will offer the least resistance.

What I heard a long long time ago is that the city wants one line (literally, one track) connecting the train station, Brown, and the Hospitals.

Archived