Bury the Power Lines!

mr. chips

I'm not convinced that all of this is true, but especially the bold sentence. People-friendly streets aren't so much demanded as they are a result of their development patterns.

If all of this is true, then there are many European cities to which I need to return, and inform them that their citizens are demanding such things. They should probably consider removing the abundant graffiti, clearing the dog poop from the sidewalks that their residents have left, heroin needles from public stairways, pollution from building facades and public infrastructure, etc. Other than power lines that we all hate, no urban core in SC, not even Charleston's greater downtown area, exhibits as much filth as some European cities that I have been to... There are, of course, exceptions, but there are also exceptions to the power line existence in American city centers...

I think things need to be kept in perspectives and not compare apples with oranges.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If all of this is true, then there are many European cities to which I need to return, and inform them that their citizens are demanding such things. They should probably consider removing the abundant graffiti, clearing the dog poop from the sidewalks that their residents have left, heroin needles from public stairways, pollution from building facades and public infrastructure, etc. Other than power lines that we all hate, no urban core in SC, not even Charleston's greater downtown area, exhibits as much filth as some European cities that I have been to... There are, of course, exceptions, but there are also exceptions to the power line existence in American city centers...

Virtually all the cities in Europe have buried their power lines. Do you think that they are wealthier than we are? No, it is a matter of choice. People there demand an aesthetically beautiful environment to live in. They demand parks, and public transportation. And people-friendly streets. And buried power lines. Its up to us to demand this of our government and businesses.

Yes, you are right. But we are not talking about the suburbs here - we are talking here about the densely populated core area of the city of Columbia where there are high rise apartment buildings (Adesso), new construction (where new standards should pertain), many businesses close together, and where we are trying to attract people to visit (convention center, restaurants, entertainment venues). Let's give them a more pleasant place to visit!

Wow, you must be visiting places in Europe that I have not gone to...and I lived there for 6 years. Most European cities are very clean - yes, the largest may have some of the urban problems that you describe. But most of them, large and small, have pedestrian zones, lovely parks, good public transportation - and, oh yes, buried power lines!

I agree that cities in Europe developed differently from ours - but that doesn't mean that we can't learn from them. Many of our best cities and towns already have learned a lot - Burlington, VT; Portland, Oregon; Austin, TX; Aspen, Colorado. Columbia can also - but we, the citizens, must demand that our leaders move us in that direction, towards healthier and more aesthetically pleasing places to live.

^That is true about Norfolk.

It would be nice if Columbia could get some money to help bury the lines in the stimulus package. But again, as it was stated, I don't think there's the political will to truly get it done (along with some other important things, unfortunately).

Wow, you must be visiting places in Europe that I have not gone to...and I lived there for 6 years. Most European cities are very clean - yes, the largest may have some of the urban problems that you describe. But most of them, large and small, have pedestrian zones, lovely parks, good public transportation - and, oh yes, buried power lines!

I think it's a little over the top to say that their residents demand aesthetically pleasing cities. I think a lot of that is owed to the historic architecture creating beauty rather than an active effort going on today. Sure, there are some resources going into maintaining, but it's not the way that I understood your post-- which was that any picturesque parts of a city is because the dwellers demanded that it be built that way. Much in the same way that no one demanded that Charleston be built so beautifully; it was the norm. Now, it's an effort to maintain it, but no one here today can say that they demanded for Charleston to look like that. It already did.

I am not referring to the beauty of the historic architecture in Europe - I am referring to what they have done with their cities in the last 50 years. After the war, many of the cities were in a horrible state: gritty, grimy, ruinous, etc. But the citizens and the leaders created beautiful places where there had been devastation from the war. Take Frankfurt, for example. My parents were born there, and they always said it was not a pretty city. It was largely destroyed during the war, but now it is a visually interesting and fun city to walk around: pedestrian zones, nice modern architecture, lots of street activity, and no power lines! This didn't happen over-night, and it didn't happen by itself. It was good city leadership, elected by citizens who demanded high quality.

Actually, another example of this is your own Greenville. When I first visited your fair city in 1980 I was pretty depressed by your downtown. But over the last 29 years I have seen it develop into a fabulous downtown. Again, this didn't happen by itself. You had good leaders and active citizens who made it happen. We can do that here in Columbia also - but we citizens have to demand it from our leaders, and elect people who have the vision and can put it into practice. Why accept something mediocre when we can get something great?

I disagree, I think most people want them buried. That's why Greenville is looking at burying the lines. Its not aesthetics that they are arguing- though that plays a role. The push from citizens is driven by the ice storms that frequent the Upstate that leave people without power for days. The reality is that its very expensive to do it, and that's the biggest drawback to making it happen.

Why not? Sorry to be such a contrarian here...but why is it not feasible or realistic? If it is possible in some cities in this country and in many other countries, why not here? Surely that is a matter for "we the people" to change. Why just accept things as they are if we can change them for the better?

Why not? Sorry to be such a contrarian here...but why is it not feasible or realistic? If it is possible in some cities in this country and in many other countries, why not here? Surely that is a matter for "we the people" to change. Why just accept things as they are if we can change them for the better?

I had lunch today at a sandwich shop on south Main street, and I was thinking how wonderful it would be if Main street from the capitol building to Blossom street were a pedestrian mall, where you could sit outside to eat on a beautiful day like today, and look down the street towards the historic dome. We have a lovely architectural focal point there, and it would be nice to be able to look at it without the power lines! It will happen in the future if we can dream a bit, and then work to create this reality. What is feasible - or realistic - is what we make happen.

Archived