111 South Division Development

John E

9153148455_5d96191f29_c.jpg

THE HARRIS BUILDING by Brad Gillette, on Flickr

Yeah it's definitely one of the best "hidden" surprises of this place.

That's not the basement I remember seeing. And I don't remember windows. Maybe they were boarded up?

without seeing the actual space, I envision that space making an excellent starbucks...

Starbucks???

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if people would go there if Ferris Coffee & Nut Company could be convinced to open up a café...

The main issue with the basement spot, which is also one of it's best features, is that it's hidden. There isn't a lot of business traffic in the area and there's already the coffee shop on Oakes and Commerce just a few feet away. Because of this I feel that whatever goes in there needs to be a "destination" sort of business. Something unique that will get a lot of word-of-mouth. Maybe a gourmet taco spot with a smoker in the alley, or a pork/butcher shop themed place like Cochon Butcher in New Orleans (http://www.cochonbutcher.com/). Another idea we've been floating for somewhere in the complex is a modern Japanese noodle restaurant with raw ingredients sourced from Local Epicurean. 

The main issue with the basement spot, which is also one of it's best features, is that it's hidden. There isn't a lot of business traffic in the area and there's already the coffee shop on Oakes and Commerce just a few feet away. Because of this I feel that whatever goes in there needs to be a "destination" sort of business. Something unique that will get a lot of word-of-mouth. Maybe a gourmet taco spot with a smoker in the alley, or a pork/butcher shop themed place like Cochon Butcher in New Orleans (http://www.cochonbutcher.com/). Another idea we've been floating for somewhere in the complex is a modern Japanese noodle restaurant with raw ingredients sourced from Local Epicurean. 

Lantern is a great coffee shop. Another one so close would just cannibalize the market, IMO.

Some kind of restaurant offering that we don't have already would be great. Can the alley be turned into a dining courtyard? I can't remember how big it is, but I seem to recall cars being parked in it.

Lantern is a great coffee shop. Another one so close would just cannibalize the market, IMO.

Some kind of restaurant offering that we don't have already would be great. Can the alley be turned into a dining courtyard? I can't remember how big it is, but I seem to recall cars being parked in it.

Using the alley for outdoor seating is very high on the list of "wants" for the space. Right now it holds a very large dumpster. 

how about that cookie shop that is open only temporarily?]

Cookie shop? 

We're all about doing pop-up stores too, in case anybody's looking for something temporary. 

• 4 weeks later...

The building to the South of the Harris, 115 S. Division, has been sold and the first floor tenant has been asked to vacate.  117 S Division is also owned by the same person as was 115 so It may have been sold as well.

www.mlive.com/entertainment/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/07/division_avenue_arts_collectiv.html

Edit:  More info from WOOD:

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/gr-arts-collective-kicked-out-of-home

The buyer is the owner of the Harris building, And the purchase is for both 115 & 117 S Division.  A doughnut store and noodle shop are planned for the buildings.  It was also mentioned on WOOD's broadcast that the buildings new owner is helping the DAAC find a new home.

• 6 months later...

There was a fire on the roof of the Harris Building.

Thankfully, based on the most recent report that WOODTV did, it looks like the damage was pretty well contained.

They haven't posted the clip on their website, but they updated this article with a few of the photos: http://woodtv.com/2014/01/28/fire-sparks-on-roof-of-harris-building/

Archived