What to do about the hole? (former city-owned Reynolds site)

ChiefJoJo

The long talked about Reynolds ("The Hillsborough") Tower project is dead. What would you do with the site?

For reference, the old Reynolds topic is here & a map is here.

What I think will happen, given the state of the marketplace today, is the city may look to construct a cheap parking lot and lease the spaces temporarily, until the market is ready to gauge developer interest via the RFP process. These processes could be concurrent, as the RFP to groundbreaking may take a considerable time (~2-3 years?) until the site would need to be accessed for pre-construction. The parking revenues could help offset the costs incurred from not being able to sell the parcel. I would be inclined to go this route with the addendum that form, makeup, design standards and benchmarks (vert. mixed use, LEED, street retail, timeframe, proven track record on similar projects) be established up front to enhance the likelihood of success.

I don't think we need a tall tower here either. We should be in the business of buiding the city from the ground up, block by block, not waiting for decades for the next tower we can see from the Beltline. The taller the tower, the more speculative and risky the project. If it's retail/office/condos in the 12-15 story range (similar height to Clarion across the street), I would be quite pleased.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another Hue size place would be perfect. Maybe even Campbell will want the space during the RFP process. Even in a downtown its good to have districts, and I think from this point west, is ideally (and is already becoming) a residential district. Spreading the skyline is fine and dandy, but services are best rendered quite near where people are, and compact bunches of residential buildings lend the form necessary to generate our long sought after commercial service sector. I have always thought the one remaining Dillion owned building(West, Harrington, Hargett, Martin) is a good spot for an urban grocery store if its almost completely surrounded by buildings with a residential component.

A multi-level entertainment complex.. with a dance club on the bottom floor.. a midscale restaurant on the second floor.. and a Dave & Buster's on the top floor! That way the club can open at 10:30.. the restaurant can close at 11.. and Dave & Busters can close at 11... the club can be as loud as they want after 11.. and the patrons from the restaurant and D&B can go have fun after their respective shinanigans..

I second the idea of lofts/1BR apartments or condos aimed at the Campbell law students across the street, or anyone else who wants in to downtown Raleigh but can't afford the exorbitant costs of the higher-end projects... and with street level retail, of course. Here's to the Paramount being the last thing ever built downtown without street retail...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived