Stores that Greenville should have but doesn't

mallguy

Why doesn't Greenville have a Brooks Brothers? Knoxville, Greensboro and others do.

What other stores do cities with the same populations and income levels (more or less) have that Greenville doesn't?

NO wishful thinking like "Oh, Greenville needs a Neiman Marcus" or "I hear that Prada is coming to Magnolia Park" or the like because it is NOT going to get that type of store anytime soon, based on the retailers that comparably-sized cities with the same income levels have.

Maybe this would give us some indication of future retailers?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that right now they are in mostly major metros, so this might sound like wishful thinking - but I assure you it is not! I believe a Trader Joe's would do awesome here. It is for sure a destination grocery, heck plenty of people drive to Charlotte from Greenville just to go there - even if it's just for a case of "2 buck chuck." :whistling: Think how awesome it would be on Main St! Plus, due to their popularity they seem to be expanding quite rapidly.

I know that right now they are in mostly major metros, so this might sound like wishful thinking - but I assure you it is not! I believe a Trader Joe's would do awesome here. It is for sure a destination grocery, heck plenty of people drive to Charlotte from Greenville just to go there - even if it's just for a case of "2 buck chuck." :whistling: Think how awesome it would be on Main St! Plus, due to their popularity they seem to be expanding quite rapidly.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe a Bass Pro Shop? I'm not sure that could be supported, though. Perhaps a Crate & Barrel. Perhaps a strip of outlet shops that could compete with (or worse, drive out of business) the shops in Gaffney.

Honestly, Greenville's not lacking in retailers. I simply do not envision the people who want to drive to Concord Mills, South Park Mall, or the Mall of Georgia ever being able to get that scale of shopping in Greenville. I kind of doubt they want it in Greenville. Part of the fun they have in going to those places is the adventure of getting away to do it.

Greenville should have a Sephora. Knoxville has one and it is at West Town Mall :sick: . It looks a lot worse than Haywood before the remodel (I really did not think that It looked that bad in the first place, but it looks a lot better now) so Simon should definetly fix it.

Hey Steven, you should visit this mall in the near future. It is like Northlake, but with less bad stores. It also does not have the "Eastland Crowd" lurking around. It is one of my favorite malls. To me it is mostly a regular mall, with a little SouthPark mixed in. I love it!

• 3 weeks later...

These arent any particular chain retail/restaurants, but they are venues that would add to the brand that has been created downtown. An Aquarium, a Movie Theater, a Sports Shop (With Clemson, Furman, USC and Greenville athletic gear), An old faishoned Soda Shop, a Bakery on Main, an English Pub, a Scottish Shop (like the one in Franklin NC or the one near Banner Elk) and a Home and Garden shop (other than Lowes or Home Depot) would all add to the retail and entertainment scene downtown, IMO. It would also be cool to have a University bookstore downtown (Furman and/or Clemson)

• 1 month later...
I think that Greenville should have a Lacoste. If Crabtree & Charleston have one, Greenville should have one in the next five years. I am tired at Belk: "Do you sell Steve Madden men's shoes", "Not anymore. "Do you sell Lacoste shoes" "Not anymore". Eventually Belk will have nothing in men's shoes lol.

Archived