Governor's School Construction

Travo

Construction has started at the Governor's School. Heavy equipment started breaking ground a few days ago for what I understand is to be a new dorm. If you want to check it out head down Furman College Way (the road in Falls Park) and look up the hill towards the school when you get to the loop at the bottom of the road. I'll try to put up a photo tomorrow. This construction is great news for me, as myself and my partner have to mow that huge incline every week. When construction is finished the hill should be about 2/3 the size it is now. Anyone got any more info on this new dorm? All I could find was a bulletin on their website about constuction during summer classes.

"Due to construction on the Governor's School campus in Greenville, 2009 student summer programs will be held on the campus of Converse College in Spartanburg, South Carolina (Teachers' Institutes will remain on campus in Greenville). Since the Academy Program was housed at Converse College prior to the construction of our Greenville residential campus, we are delighted to return "home" as we embark on an exciting construction/renovation project on our main campus. We thank Converse College for hosting us during this time."

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys know about as much as I do. As far as a visual from Church St. I would have to say it will have very minimal impact. At least that is the impression I get from the silt fencing they have put up. I think most of that big hill belongs to the county as part of County Square and the rest to the Park. The school seems to have a very small area to work with but they are forging ahead anyway.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I wonder if there's any plan of redeveloping county square that sets aside a small portion of land for future Governor's School expansion. I imagine they must be getting close to running out of *buildable* land..? I wonder what the school's long range vision looks like in this regard... 

Anyway, it's exciting to continue to watch this school evolve. They're an asset to have in Greenville and produce some great talent! 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...