Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Travo

Governor's School Construction

9 posts in this topic

Construction has started at the Governor's School. Heavy equipment started breaking ground a few days ago for what I understand is to be a new dorm. If you want to check it out head down Furman College Way (the road in Falls Park) and look up the hill towards the school when you get to the loop at the bottom of the road. I'll try to put up a photo tomorrow. This construction is great news for me, as myself and my partner have to mow that huge incline every week. When construction is finished the hill should be about 2/3 the size it is now. Anyone got any more info on this new dorm? All I could find was a bulletin on their website about constuction during summer classes.

"Due to construction on the Governor's School campus in Greenville, 2009 student summer programs will be held on the campus of Converse College in Spartanburg, South Carolina (Teachers' Institutes will remain on campus in Greenville). Since the Academy Program was housed at Converse College prior to the construction of our Greenville residential campus, we are delighted to return "home" as we embark on an exciting construction/renovation project on our main campus. We thank Converse College for hosting us during this time."

Interesting. I had no idea! So, this should have a visual impact on Church Street? Also, is this going to increase their enrollment? It certainly can't hurt to have more youth downtown.

Wow, excellent news. Are they adding additional programs/studies?

That is very good news indeed, considering the school was recently forced to eliminate a portion of staff as the state budget continues to shrink.

You guys know about as much as I do. As far as a visual from Church St. I would have to say it will have very minimal impact. At least that is the impression I get from the silt fencing they have put up. I think most of that big hill belongs to the county as part of County Square and the rest to the Park. The school seems to have a very small area to work with but they are forging ahead anyway.

Noticed today, all the brick has been removed from one end of one of the buildings, in prep for the addition.

IMG_4339.jpg

A new administration building for the Governors School will be built on site. Bids go out October 31st...spooky.  :ph34r:

A new administration building for the Governors School will be built on site. Bids go out October 31st...spooky. :ph34r:

This is now under construction.