Beach/Fast Food resturants clash over Laskin plan

vdogg

If the city is willing to fight this, I see no reason why they wouldn't take on Sifen. This really makes me feel a lot better about the city's commitment to their overall vision. :thumbsup:

Link

Long-range city planning and modern business imperatives are clashing at the Oceanfront. The issue: fast-food drive-throughs.

The conflict is the first test of a growth plan adopted by the City Council in December. The "Laskin Road Gateway" calls for pedestrian-friendly, urban-style development with buildings close to the roads and parking behind them. The idea is to get people near the beach out of their cars.

Burger King and Dunkin' Donuts have proposed drive-throughs, which city officials say run counter to remaking the Laskin Road corridor.

City Manager Jim Spore took the unusual step of opposing the projects in a letter to Planning Commission members, who will take up the issue Wednesday. The planning staff also recommended denial of the projects.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drive-through causes friction with Beach's Laskin Plan

This is interesting, because it looks like the city is really pushing for urban development in that area, something we all want. While I agree that drive throughs do no provide the urban image and DOES put people back in their cars, I'm not sure how they expect a fast food chain to make a profit without drive throughs. In essence, that is the whole point of a drive through. You can easily get it to go, either on the way to work, a friend's house, etc. I'm sure most of their money comes from drive through customers.

Dunkin Donuts could actually be a cafe style place if they wanted to be with their coffee and breakfast foods. However, Burger King has no chance of making a transition like that.

Solution: Get rid of Burger King, it's a failing chain anyway. It's time for Va Beach to push for sustainable development.

What will probably happen: Like Siffen, Burger King will get what they want because this city really doesn't have a spine to fight developers. They have proven that time and again...

While I think it's great the city is trying to further urbanize this area drive throughs are a big deal around here. It seems most folks in VB want convenience (well, who doesn't really). I heard some years back that we have more 7-11s per sq mile than any other city in the nation.

While I think it's great the city is trying to further urbanize this area drive throughs are a big deal around here. It seems most folks in VB want convenience (well, who doesn't really). I heard some years back that we have more 7-11s per sq mile than any other city in the nation.

Another quote from the article that really ticks me off!

"Brian Murden, whose family owns the land proposed for the Dunkin' Donuts, said the project is a good chance to get a business back on the property. A dry cleaner used to operate on the site.

He questioned whether Oceanfront visitors would walk the four or five blocks from the beach to get a doughnut.

"I cannot see your average tourist walking from the Boardwalk," he said."

OF COURSE THEY WON'T IF THERE IS NOTHING FOR THEM TO WALK TO!!!!!! There hasn't been anything substantial for the tourists to walk to in a long time. And REGARDLESS, tourists WILL NOT drive to the BK and DD. Only the VB residents will!

Having a dunkin donuts and BK would probably get the tourists walking. It's not a bad walk at all in the summer. It's the VB RESIDENTS who are the driveaholics. Tourists come to resort beaches to walk, not to drive.

It makes me mad, but the city right now is getting exactly what they deserve with drive throughs and traffic jams.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived