No Skateboarding Downtown

GVLbikeNboard

I started longboarding last summer and have been addicted ever since. I would say about 70% of my riding is just cruising around, which was the main reason I bought one in the first place. I ride all over the place...neighborhoods, parks, and until today, downtown. I have been told that skateboarding is not allowed anywhere downtown a couple of times before, but today was told that the skateboard would be taken (and I don't wanna lose a $300 longboard) and there could possibly be fines. Some cities around the country have made longboarding legal throughout the city because they recognize it as a form of transportation and not just some toy. I understand that skaters don't always give the best impressions, but I just wish people could see the difference between some skater punk tearing up property and someone cruising down the sidewalk. I respect everyone, don't ride dangerously fast, know how to stop myself no matter what speed I'm going, and I'm very cautious when people are around. Unfortunately for me, most police officers don't give a **** what I have to say because they (like most, I imagine) just see me as some kid on a skateboard doing nothing with my life.

So I was just curious what you guys thought about this. Are you bothered by someone skating passed you on the sidewalk and have you had any problems before? Also, do any of you know what I can do to at least make an attempt at reversing this silly law?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like it or not, there is a common theme among many skateboarding groups which shows little or no respect for authority and public/private property. Although this is certainly not the case with everyone who rides a board, it is very much a reality, as indicated again and again even on YouTube. Having said that, I have overheard local law enforcement officers talking with skateboard-toting adolescent boys above Falls Park, instructing that they could ride in the park, but not on the sidewalks or streets of downtown. The kids' attitudes stunk, as expected. Downtown is not a school playground. There are places to play, but there are necessary rules to follow.

I started longboarding last summer and have been addicted ever since. I would say about 70% of my riding is just cruising around, which was the main reason I bought one in the first place. I ride all over the place...neighborhoods, parks, and until today, downtown. I have been told that skateboarding is not allowed anywhere downtown a couple of times before, but today was told that the skateboard would be taken (and I don't wanna lose a $300 longboard) and there could possibly be fines. Some cities around the country have made longboarding legal throughout the city because they recognize it as a form of transportation and not just some toy. I understand that skaters don't always give the best impressions, but I just wish people could see the difference between some skater punk tearing up property and someone cruising down the sidewalk. I respect everyone, don't ride dangerously fast, know how to stop myself no matter what speed I'm going, and I'm very cautious when people are around. Unfortunately for me, most police officers don't give a **** what I have to say because they (like most, I imagine) just see me as some kid on a skateboard doing nothing with my life.

So I was just curious what you guys thought about this. Are you bothered by someone skating passed you on the sidewalk and have you had any problems before? Also, do any of you know what I can do to at least make an attempt at reversing this silly law?

Some regulations are meant to keep people safe. Some environments are just not a good place to mix multiple modes of traffic with pedestrians. Just becuase one person can do something, doesnt always mean it's a good idea for everyone to do it. I am sure there are plenty of places that are not off limits to skateboarding left in Greenville. There are plenty of things that one can do on their own property or in their own home but that they do not have the right to do in public. It's just part of citizenship, being mindful of others.

I think skateboarding is a legitimate mode of transportation. If they don't allow them on sidewalks then they have to be consistent and not allow bicycles, rollerblades, or anything else. I personally think that it should be fair game to use them on sidewalks on anywhere else in any city.

I'd be curious to see if there really is any law in place against this, myself. If so, then why not put up yet another sign to go along with all the other "Don't do this, don't do that" signs around town? I, personally, have no problem with skateboards, roller blades, bicycles, Segway, wheelchairs, jazzy (i.e. motorized wheel chairs), strollers, feet, or prosthetic limbs. They're all means of getting around.

I also know from first-hand experience that cops tend to get on power trips and throw the weight of their authority around when there is absolutely no reason for them to do so, so if I had to guess, there's no city ordinance against pedestrians (that's what a skateboarder is considered according to the Greenways Master Plan, by the way) using a sidewalk, path, or trail.

I'd be curious to see if there really is any law in place against this, myself. If so, then why not put up yet another sign to go along with all the other "Don't do this, don't do that" signs around town? I, personally, have no problem with skateboards, roller blades, bicycles, Segway, wheelchairs, jazzy (i.e. motorized wheel chairs), strollers, feet, or prosthetic limbs. They're all means of getting around.

I also know from first-hand experience that cops tend to get on power trips and throw the weight of their authority around when there is absolutely no reason for them to do so, so if I had to guess, there's no city ordinance against pedestrians (that's what a skateboarder is considered according to the Greenways Master Plan, by the way) using a sidewalk, path, or trail.

Ok, I'm going to print that out along with the CBD zoning map and keep it in my wallet. That way if an officer tries to give me any trouble I can whip it out and show him what's up! And I'm glad to see that Furman College Way is just out of the CBD! Thanks for hearing out my rants guys, haha.

Archived