Cats

voyager12

I grew up with dogs and like cats but never thought much about getting one. Last week I rescued a kitty that was on it's way to the shelter and possible euthanasia. She is a gray tabby named Tinkerbell and is 4 years old. For two nights she hid behind the sofa and I was feeling so badly. I did not want my cat to hate me. But after calling friends and googling I realized this is normal behavior. The third night after hissing at me for hours she just ran over to me and started playing, I guess I passed the test and she bonded to me.

Having a cat is definitely a different vibe and I am enjoying it. Dogs are great but it's like having a constantly clingy child, it can get old sometimes. Tink (saying Tinkerbell is a bit too much for me) comes to say hello when she wants and then goes off and does own her thing. In the future I will get another dog and love all the exuberance that brings but a cat definitely fits my cerebral and solitary mood of late.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A cat lover here too.:)

We just adopted a 5 year old Bengal cat last week. She is slowly adjusting to her new home, and is the sweetest, most affectionate kitty I ever knew.

The cat we already had isn't liking it at all. She has hissed a few times, and acted aggressive which is atypical for her. We've followed the protocol and are keeping them separated for a full week, before slowly letting them meet eye to eye.

Our beloved kitty Simon, passed away in December. He is still missed, and will never be forgotten for the love he brought our family.:) A pic of Simon when he was 3 years old.

post-8301-1234217339_thumb.jpg

post-8301-1234217339_thumb.jpg

Another cat lover here too!

I just adopted a kitten named Stewie from the local animal shelter before Christmas. He was about 4 months old when I got him, here's a pic of him laying in the bed one Saturday morning when I woke up:

01180910471.jpg

He's extremely playful, tries to get into everything, and is very affectionate. He also gets along well with my older cat, Lars, who is now around 12 yrs old (?) I adopted him from the Humane Society in Boone, NC in '98. Here is a pic of him:

1585.jpg

He is very loyal, acts like a dog in some regards (he'll walk the neighborhood with me right by my side, flips the neighbors out.) He always has to be close to me, and if I'm sitting down he finds away to rest a paw on me.

I like cats and cats like me... however, I've always been allergic to them. My mother has 2 and before I go over, I have to shave. Weird I know, but I tend to break out in hives if I don't and it's only my face that gets itchy. But that's in an enclosed space. Outside, cats and I are great! My neighbor's cat absolutely loves me and greets me when I come home or sometimes when I leave in the morning. That cat can rapid fire meows too. I've never known a more vocal cat.

Nice kitties everyone.

Oh it wasn't a doctor's diagnosis. It just happens everywhere I go there are cats indoors. I used my mother's as an example. She's had her cats since 2001 and moved in 2005 to a new house, had a new carpet, same thing happened to me at both places.

I'm also allergic to guinea pigs but in a worse way than cats... I look like I've been in a fight with Mike Tyson then!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived