Mid City

richyb83

A new restaurant called "Twine" couple weeks ago ...touted as "real food"....those protein bowls sound good! Gonna have to make a quick stop for lunch one day :shades:

Part of the model block on Government Street near BRHS....

0378ac7094b92cb494ed6a5e58e7a550?AccessK

Image result for MODEL BLOCK GOVERNMENT STREET

Messed up...sorry elongated post in this thread...had copy/paste things...deleted...didn't work out

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This Government Street "Road Diet" is back....not sure exactly how this might work...i do know if you go the 40mph speed limit..a few will race right by ...

& they must have read here on UP....Looks like My "Roundabout" request for Lobdell could happen:D

041017 Government Street map.jpg

'Road diet' for Government Street in Baton Rouge aims to look like Magazine Street in New Orleans

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_dc8b83a0-1bb0-11e7-bfc6-374ac6a8f697.html

Baton Rouge leaders have spent years revitalizing downtown and have since turned their eyes on infrastructure projects that will radiate from the urban core to the south and east.

With the summer construction season approaching, the government is laying out plans for millions of dollars of road work to implement the Government Street "road diet" and to fix up streets in the Nicholson Drive corridor.

The long-discussed "road diet" had called for slimming most of Government Street to one lane in each direction and adding a center turn lane and bicycle lanes. For years, officials have said they want to make the thoroughfare feel more like New Orleans's Magazine Street. There are plans to make a transportation hub, including a stop for a future commuter train to the Crescent City, at the old Entergy building on the corner of 15th Street.

The road diet is also expected to reduce crashes caused when drivers try to make left turns off or onto Government either because they cross in front of traffic or people behind them try to pull into the right travel lane. Those crashes are so common that the changes are being partially bankrolled through a federal public safety grant.

However, portions of Government have more traffic than is recommended for a road diet, so the plan has changed from three lanes back to four lanes — two eastbound, one westbound and one turning, with no bicycle lanes — between North Foster and Jefferson Highway

• Like 1

They need street parking.   You'll never get pedestrians on that street unless there is a line of parked cars between them and the traffic.  

You can see Google Street View of Madison Avenue in Memphis just west of Cooper in mid town.   It was  4 lane road until 2014, then they switched to a two lane road with narrower lanes and street parking.   Since then, the area has taken off.  More retailers, more parking, etc.   They actually had to add a public parking garage to handle the demand.

Can't do it properly without street parking.   

Edited by cajun
  • Like 3

^  Hey Cajun...thanks...Checked out that stretch along Madison on Google Earth...that's done  nicely. :shades:  Hopefully they follow the 20mph limit otherwise the bike lane next to it could get dicey with the parking on the side.  Really like the small shops & sidewalk/streetscape + the narrow median w/ small trees seems to help slow them down...

Guessing Government Street won't use similar narrow medians? Bec that could really benefit the pedestrian experience + aesthetics

• Like 2

I really wanted a green median instead of the third turn lane. I agree on the street parking. 

I had to do the same as Richy and look on Google. It's a pretty nice area, something we could easily shoot for.

I wonder where a stretch of restaurants and nightlife would spring up. I'd say from Calandro's over to Acadian or BR High. 

11 hours ago, Antrell Williams said:

I really wanted a green median instead of the third turn lane. I agree on the street parking. 

I had to do the same as Richy and look on Google. It's a pretty nice area, something we could easily shoot for.

Go back to the street view in 2011 and look at all of the empty storefronts and the streetscape.  

Then bring it back to 2017 and look at all of the pedestrians, people, etc.   My company was involved in some of the work in the area.   The city installed a parking deck right there to handle all of the crowds.   It was very well placed and it helped make all of that retail space on that corner much more valuable.  

Baton Rouge could easily do that on Government at least in some sections.   Like you said, the section between Calandro's at Glenmore west to around St. Rose would be the target area for night life.   Street parking now would be important.   Public parking deck may be needed at the old shopping center across from Radio Bar if it is ever redeveloped.   

You'll never get people walking around if the businesses need surface parking lots or if there is traffic zooming by just 5' from the curb.   Street parking solves both of those.   In that section outlined above (Glenmore to St Rose) they should slow the speed limit down to 30mph , narrow the lane width to 12', and install an 8' wide street parking lane on both sides.    Maybe even planters with trees and streetscape near the intersections.   That would leave you with 

I guarantee if they pulled the above off, the area would transform within 18 months.   They'll have to install a parking deck to handle all of the people coming from other parts of the region to that area.   The street parking is critical.   Of course that means no center turn lane - so a left turn would have to be installed at key intersections.   It would slow traffic down, but North Blvd and Florida are still 4 lanes and can handle the commuter traffic.  

I wonder where a stretch of restaurants and nightlife would spring up. I'd say from Calandro's over to Acadian or BR High.

That is exactly where they should take extra steps to eliminate left turns (except at key intersections) and install street parking.   Otherwise their plan is very good.

St Rose to Edison street.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, richyb83 said:

^  Hey Cajun...thanks...Checked out that stretch along Madison on Google Earth...that's done  nicely. :shades:  Hopefully they follow the 20mph limit otherwise the bike lane next to it could get dicey with the parking on the side.  Really like the small shops & sidewalk/streetscape + the narrow median w/ small trees seems to help slow them down...

Guessing Government Street won't use similar narrow medians? Bec that could really benefit the pedestrian experience + aesthetics

Curb to Curb, Government is 47' wide (roughly 8' wider than most parts of Magazine Street in New Orleans) including the curb aprons, which we'll need to use.  Not counting the curb aprons, it's about 46'.   

Initially I think that the solution would be this:  Two 9' wide street parking "lanes" up against the curb are 18' in total.   That leaves 28-29 feet for 2 lanes of traffic and bike lanes (Including markings). The lanes need to be at least 11' wide.   That leaves room for two 3.5' wide dedicated bike lanes.   No room for a center median like that section of Madison in Memphis.   

A better solution might be to install 9' wide parking spaces, 12' lanes, and lower the speed limit to 25 so that bike lanes wouldn't be needed.  Then you'd have 4' of space for a center median to eliminate left turns except at intersections, where a left turn lane would have to come at the expense of the street parking anyways.  The 12' lanes would also be more than adequate even when the largest vehicles encounter a poorly parked car or a parked car with an open door.   That would be the ideal solution between St. Rose and the Edison Street area since it would restrict left turns (which would help it flow better) except at intersections. Works out okay because there is a street grid and people can always double back.  

Again, that section between Edison and St Rose is the best place to target pedestrian improvement and business development that 'addresses the street'.    Traffic needs to move slower there.    With either solution, a left turn lane would have to come at the expense of street parking at intersections.  

Edited by cajun

^  Thanks for posting that Antrell...can't wait to see what the finished product will look like!  With a cool name like that it should be very well "lit up" at night! Maybe with some retro neon? :shades:  Like what the dude had to say in last sentence....Nelson says. “It’s going to be pretty bad ass.” :lol:

Cajun...You need to send these good ideas to these people!  Would you re- consider extending that special section a few(4) blocks to the East of Edison  at new Square 46 now under construction??  (took construction pic above/posted March 8th) is a game-changer for the area. I like the funky/eclectic vibe across Westmoreland at Ogden Market area w/ Time Warp Boutique  & Model Block w/ Atomic Pop Shop near BRHS.

Didn't know Government Street was 47'ft wide...thanks for the break-down :good:

On 4/12/2017 at 9:45 AM, cajun said:

A better solution might be to install 9' wide parking spaces, 12' lanes, and lower the speed limit to 25 so that bike lanes wouldn't be needed.  Then you'd have 4' of space for a center median to eliminate left turns except at intersections, where a left turn lane would have to come at the expense of the street parking anyways.  The 12' lanes would also be more than adequate even when the largest vehicles encounter a poorly parked car or a parked car with an open door.   That would be the ideal solution between St. Rose and the Edison Street area since it would restrict left turns (which would help it flow better) except at intersections. Works out okay because there is a street grid and people can always double back.  

Again, that section between Edison and St Rose is the best place to target pedestrian improvement and business development that 'addresses the street'.    Traffic needs to move slower there.    With either solution, a left turn lane would have to come at the expense of street parking at intersections.  

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...

Like the rendering!   Could be game-changer/anchor on the west-end of  Mid City

Boutique entertainment venue, healthy living center and microbrewery planned for old Entergy site

A new boutique entertainment center with a bowling alley, live music, restaurant, bar and private event space will open in the fall of 2018 in the Electric Depot, a mixed-used development planned for the old Entergy site at 1509 Government St.

Other buildings at the site will house a healthy living center with yoga, cycling and healthy foods, as well as a microbrewery and pizza parlor; another building will provide a mix of residential, office and retail space.

Development team Weinstein Nelson announced the new entertainment tenant—currently going by the working title of Red Stick Social, though that’s subject to change as the brand is developed and refined

Screen-Shot-2017-05-17-at-11.56.36-AM.png?q=60&crop=faces&fit=crop&w=808&h=500&dpr=2

https://www.businessreport.com/business/boutique-entertainment-venue-healthy-living-center-microbrewery-planned-old-entergy-site-2

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jw8o23fv678aphn/AADFwf4dGjgitD8yLJ8GGOIma?dl=0&preview=Electric+Depot+-+Presentation+%2B+JF+sm.pdf

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

This will be next to the R.R. Tracks on Government Street nearby the proposed new Electric Depot...good to see a vacant warehouse being put to good use :thumbsup:

Three Sixty Eight plans new offices in vacant Mid City warehouse

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_397e5dd6-b2b4-11e7-8442-e30e1cecbd24.html

Three Sixty Eight, a local web and video business, will move early next year to a vacant Mid City warehouse, which the company hopes will become a hub for community events and people working in the creative industry.

“We’re trying to make the whole place a destination for community events and conferences,” said Jeremy Beyt, chief strategy officer and partner. “We want this to be a destination where we happen to work.”

The company applied for a building permit last week to renovate a space at 214 S. 14th St. Beyt said he’s optimistic the move could happen after the start of 2018.

“There’s a lot of underutilized real estate in that area between Mid City and downtown,” Beyt said. “We want to help create an identity and a sense of place.”

The new offices will be about 4,500 square feet, which gives Three Sixty Eight room to grow. The business plans on leasing out some space in its office to businesses, who could serve as collaborators on projects.

The new space also will have a film studio and a larger conference space. There also will be adjoining warehouse space that Three Sixty Eight can use for some of its community events

On 10/18/2017 at 10:27 PM, Antrell Williams said:

It is pretty insulting to say that they want to create and identity and sense of place in a neighborhood with people that have been there for what, 200 years?

I'm pretty frustrated with this copy and paste style of gentrification. 

I hate that corporate jargon bullcrap. If you're gentrifying just fudgeing say it. 

On 10/18/2017 at 10:27 PM, Antrell Williams said:

It is pretty insulting to say that they want to create and identity and sense of place in a neighborhood with people that have been there for what, 200 years?

I'm pretty frustrated with this copy and paste style of gentrification. 

True!!  Just Take a few Seminars on that Smart Growth lingo...:rolleyes: 

The R.R. Tracks do have a reputation

True!!  Just Take a few Seminars on that Smart Growth lingo...:rolleyes: 
The R.R. Tracks do have a reputation
I'm planning on going to UC Denver and eventually get a masters in Urban and Regional Planning or Urban Design. Pray for me lol.

One is my high school classmates told me that Government St is the ghetto. I spit out my bag of milk...!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

On 10/24/2017 at 5:48 PM, Antrell Williams said:

I'm planning on going to UC Denver and eventually get a masters in Urban and Regional Planning or Urban Design. Pray for me lol.

One is my high school classmates told me that Government St is the ghetto. I spit out my bag of milk...!

You are going to pay to get indoctrinated.  

2 hours ago, Antrell Williams said:

Marxist communism?

LOL! Yah, know I was just thinking about that yesterday. If everyone was perfect and worked together and did what they were supposed to do we could all probably be living in mansions and have fine dinners ever night. I'll leave that Marxist part alone though, lol!

LOL! Yah, know I was just thinking about that yesterday. If everyone was perfect and worked together and did what they were supposed to do we could all probably be living in mansions and have fine dinners ever night. I'll leave that Marxist part alone though, lol!
Actually I was reading a forum where they were talking about the reality that there's enough money around for the rich to stay rich while robots to much of the hard labor and citizens receive a form of basic income. It was not a form of communism though and was very interesting to read about coming from a conservative Louisiana population.