Mid City

richyb83

See y'all there?

Post2.jpg

Join national pedestrian and bicycling advocate Dan Burden for this free public event as he presents a vision of an economically thriving, walkable, bikable Government Street. This event will be held on Thursday, April 5th, 2012 at the Louisiana Arts and Science Museum (100 South River Road). The reception is from 5:30 pm - 6:00 pm and the presentation is from 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm.

http://connect.cpex.org/

Just bumping this post to remind everyone about the Government Street Re-envisioning presentation by Dan Burden and team tonight at LASM. You can find more information about Dan's organization: http://www.walklive.org/ You just have to look at their schedule to see that they really do travel the globe talking about walkable/bikeable communities.

I also found this PDF that illustrates a lot of what we discuss here on the board, as well as what FutureBR advocates:

http://walklive.org/...uide-Poster.pdf

• Like 1

I like the illustration! BR needs more blocks like the one on the right with the streetscape; instead of the sea of parking blocks that dominates the landscape.

Government street needs to shift its focus to the pedestrian...at least west of Jefferson.

I have been saying for a while that the road should be made into a 3 lane with street parking and generous side walks. The current setup is foolish.

• Like 2

Yes indeed Cajun :thumbsup:

Experts study Government St. traffic

Traffic consultants are once again studying whether Government Street needs to go on a diet. Spurred by safety concerns and the ongoing sense that the street’s traffic moves too fast for its urban setting, the Metropolitan Planning Organization has hired ABMB Engineers to look at whether a so-called “road diet” would work.

Specifically, the firm is studying two options: Each would reduce the four-lane street to one lane in each direction and give a third lane back for wider sidewalks, bike lanes or on-street parking. But one option would have a center turn lane and the other a raised median with roundabouts at the major intersections. A roundabout replaces a traffic signal and slows down cars but keeps them moving as they merge in and out of the circle from all four directions

The thought of reducing the number of lanes on Government has always been considered a bit of a pipe dream, even by those who want to see it happen. Like many cities, Baton Rouge is obsessed with traffic congestion and has a penchant for widening its roads, not narrowing them.

A similar inquiry several years ago died on the vine, but this time is different in two key ways, said ABMB’s Laurence Lambert. The previous study was conducted soon after Hurricane Katrina and the traffic counts were affected by the swell in population, which made a road diet look less feasible. Also, that study did not take safety into account, and this one will at the request of the state Department of Transportation and Development.

The state classifies Government as an “abnormal” road, meaning it has twice the accident rate of the average four-lane undivided street in the state

http://theadvocate.com/news/business/2553516-123/experts-study-government-st-traffic

The state classifies Government as an “abnormal” road, meaning it has twice the accident rate of the average four-lane undivided street in the state

And that is how you sell it to the driving public.

This is low hanging fruit. There are two better alternatives (north Blvd and Florida) for commuters. One even has a flyover for the rail road track.

I'm shocked and pleasantly surprised that this is even being considered.

Just don't include roundabouts in the initial proposal. That word freaks people out. That can come later.

• Like 1

And that is how you sell it to the driving public.

This is low hanging fruit. There are two better alternatives (north Blvd and Florida) for commuters. One even has a flyover for the rail road track.

I'm shocked and pleasantly surprised that this is even being considered.

Just don't include roundabouts in the initial proposal. That word freaks people out. That can come later.

People are getting used to the roundabout though, although I'm not used to them.

North Blvd needs the traffic, Gov't needs the attention. Isn't this conflict of interest since they recently completed constrution on Government at Foster.

When I attended the "Re-envisioning of Government Street", there was talk of staging a mock-up (for a number of blocks) for how a new road design would work on Government street. This would include a roundabout. I think this is a great idea and costs nothing and let the public see how this would affect traffic, vehicle speeds, pedestrian traffic, etc.

• Like 1

When I attended the "Re-envisioning of Government Street", there was talk of staging a mock-up (for a number of blocks) for how a new road design would work on Government street. This would include a roundabout. I think this is a great idea and costs nothing and let the public see how this would affect traffic, vehicle speeds, pedestrian traffic, etc.

They should try that for the new limited access highways (Airline and Florida, maybe Plank)

They should try that for the new limited access highways (Airline and Florida, maybe Plank)

At the very least, a much wider median with u-turn lanes would work well. Eliminate left turn signals. Traffic would actually flow.

• 4 weeks later...

'225 Select': Cool off with hot art

On Friday evening you can stroll the streets of Mid City for the district’s annual spring art hop: Hot Art, Cool Nights. A celebration of the thriving Mid City area, you can buy art from numerous local artists, nosh on free food and drink, enjoy art demonstrations and generally have a grand old time. Mid City galleries and stores such as Kerry Beary’s Atomic Pop Shop, the Circa 1857 complex, Gallery Bohemia, Bricks and Bombs, and Honeymoon Bungalow will stay open late and hold special events for this evening event. From pottery to jewelry, paintings to woodworks, you’ll find plenty of items to spruce up your home. The art hop is free and open to the public from 6 to 10 p.m

http://www.businessreport.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=daily-reportAM&date=20120510

http://midcitymerchants.org/

AR-120509846.jpg

The Mid City Gardens and Community Center, a 68-unit affordable housing project at North Boulevard and South 17th Street, is nearing completion. The project includes the two-story, 14,000-square-foot activity center shown here—which will feature a fitness center, dance room and meeting space—as well as five residential buildings. D. Honoré Construction is the general contractor.

http://www.businessreport.com/section/businessreport0113

• 1 month later...

This should be a really nice addition to the area!

Panel backs art market project

The owners of Circa 1857 are looking to add 30 loft apartments, retail and community arts space to the existing arts and antiques market on Government Street across from Park Boulevard. The project is the second half of Circa owners Danny McGlynn and Dennis Hargroder’s Mid-City Redevelopment Project. The first half is the planned renovation of the Darensbourg building across from Westmoreland Shopping Center and improving the streetscape of the block just east of Baton Rouge Magnet High School.

McGlynn told the group that the point of the project at Circa 1857 is to continue to stimulate the arts, culture and retail development by providing apartments for “starving artist” types who could use smaller spaces — 500 square feet to 1,200 square feet — to live and work.

Kathy Thorpe, the curator of the BR Walls downtown mural project who will help guide the arts component of an expanded Circa 1857, told the board that having artists living at Circa will help it hold classes for local schoolchildren, and even eventually provide facilities, a kiln or darkroom, for example, for public use.

McGlynn said Circa is hoping the retail portion of the addition could be anchored by some kind of fresh-food market, which could help meet the need for healthy grocery options in Midcity.

McGlynn said the Darensbourg building-anchored portion of the project, known as the Model Block project, would account for about $1.5 million of the total and include improvements to the sidewalk. That block is currently home to a tax-refund center, a tattoo parlor, Denicola’s and Kerry Beary’s Atomic Pop Shop. In addition to the overhaul of the Darensbourg building and relocation of Ritter Maher Architects to the second floor and new retail on the ground floor, he said the center building will be taken down to add interior parking.

The idea is to create streetscape — bike racks, outdoor seating, landscaping — that can serve as an example to the rest of Government Street on how to move toward a more pedestrian-friendly experience.

McGlynn said the goal of the Mid-City Redevelopment Project in its entirety is to help continue to turn Government Street into an arts and culture destination. “I would like to see Government Street become a Magazine Street, of sorts,” he said, noting the corridor already has significant arts and retail development.

dtcommonstreamsstreamsed.jpg

http://theadvocate.com/home/3142659-125/panel-backs-art-market-project

I am very excited about this project. My neighbor works at Ritter Maher and I knew they were moving their office into the white, two story building on gov. by radio bar and were helping to renovate the entire block. I didn't know about this part of the project though at circa 1857, I hope it moves forward.

In other news, I had a meeting at the EBR Redevelopment Authority today and there are some great projects in the works for the mid city, osbr, and downtown areas. Things are looking up for baton rouge!

Oh nice, in fill like this is desperately needed. Too bad everything is getting tax breaks.

if this is the same project the Business report commented on yesterday.....it isn't getting tax breaks. Sounds like it is getting a government grant. More of a direct subsidy.

You are already seeing plenty of renewed private investment in mid city but the area between Park and downtown was missing most of it. I think you'd see more if they can configure government street for only two or three lanes with parallel parking..especially west of Foster.

I'd honestly look into Ogden or Capitol Heights if I were moving to BR now. It's come a long way in the last 15 years.

Edited by cajun

In other news, I had a meeting at the EBR Redevelopment Authority today and there are some great projects in the works for the mid city, osbr, and downtown areas. Things are looking up for baton rouge!

Are you allowed to elaborate?

if this is the same project the Business report commented on yesterday.....it isn't getting tax breaks. Sounds like it is getting a government grant. More of a direct subsidy.

You are already seeing plenty of renewed private investment in mid city but the area between Park and downtown was missing most of it. I think you'd see more if they can configure government street for only two or three lanes with parallel parking..especially west of Foster.

I'd honestly look into Ogden or Capitol Heights if I were moving to BR now. It's come a long way in the last 15 years.

The Garden District is also coming along well as there are many houses being renovated at this very moment.

Are you allowed to elaborate?

The Garden District is also coming along well as there are many houses being renovated at this very moment.

I think if Old South is redeveloped properly....the garden district will be the money spot.

I really just hate how Government is configured. :)

I wish I could. The private company representative told all of us directly the information was not allowed to leave the room. Just know that there are people that do believe in inner city BR!

Glad to hear. Without public and private investment in mid city and old south.....I think BR is going to slip into a downward spiral.