Mid City

richyb83

Right but includes sidewalks and utility servitude, right?

Were they talking about rebuilding the whole street?

Yes, the ROW is from property line to property line and includes all sidewalks. 

Well I believe that in a best case scenario  for complete streets to be implemented properly, that they would want to rebuild as much of the street as possible. However, I am sure if this plan is going to be implemented, that during the design phase, when cost is factored in, many elements in the design will change to utilize as much of the existing road bed and curbs as possible.

Maybe Baton Rouge can try out a reversible center lane on government. Take away one lane of travel. Squeeze some parallel parking or bike lanes out of the space left over from the removed fourth lane of travel.

During peak times of travel, the center lane would become dedicated to either eastbound or westbound traffic. In the mornings, we'd have two westbound lanes going into downtown, in the evenings, we'd have two eastbound lanes coming out of downtown. These streets have special striping and the direction of traffic flow is governed by digital overhead signage. 

Just a thought. Obviously not as good an option as the complete street, but still an improvement. Also, might be easier to get people on board if they know rush hour has been taken into consideration. 

• Like 2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47266767@N00/3683135129/

They seem to have this particular style in a few locations in and around Vancouver, BC. Most notably on the Lions Gate Bridge. Lanes are separated by double dashed lines. I've never seen them in action, but I believe the center lane sign changes to some sort of warning signal when a reversal is about to occur. 

As I said, I haven't seen this particular design in action. Seems like it could create hazardous left turning conditions out of side streets and parking lots if you can't tell what direction the center lane is going in. 

I've seen what Burg is talking about. They do it in SoCal, too. Parallel parking allowed in the outside lanes except during peak travel times. Mostly these were roads that went from four lanes in off-times to six lanes at peak times. Inevitably there would be a few cars that didn't move in time for rush hour, making the outside lanes undesirable. You would always get stuck behind a parked car, and nobody wanted to let you merge to get around. Works well for the most part, though. 

• 4 weeks later...

Government St. building eyed as new location for restaurant and bar    

Gretna bar owner Toni Smith says she plans to open The Fourth Quarter restaurant and bar in the vacant building at 3669 Government St., just east of Acadian Thruway, by the end of February. "It's going to be American: steaks, fries and hamburgers," says Smith, who spoke to Daily Report from the Tee Kay Place in Gretna. While the Baton Rouge building location has been a Chinese eatery in the past—China Palace in 2003 and China Dragon as recently as 2007—it underwent a transformation as a Mid City sports bar and restaurant in recent years. According to city-parish officials, The 50 Yard Line had the building rezoned to accommodate a sports bar in October 2009; the building later became Changes Sports Bar and Restaurant, whose signage still remains on the property. In May 2012 the city-parish received a permit for a remodeling project at the building, which had been damaged by fire. Smith applied for a business permit on Dec. 4 and says she's awaiting approval from the parish Office of Alcoholic Beverage Control and Gaming Enforcement before moving forward. A notice on Smith's intent has been posted on the building by the ABC department. —Adam Pearson

Businessreport.com

Edited by steve3n8

Government St. building eyed as new location for restaurant and bar    

Gretna bar owner Toni Smith says she plans to open The Fourth Quarter restaurant and bar in the vacant building at 3669 Government St., just east of Acadian Thruway, by the end of February. "It's going to be American: steaks, fries and hamburgers," says Smith, who spoke to Daily Report from the Tee Kay Place in Gretna. While the Baton Rouge building location has been a Chinese eatery in the past—China Palace in 2003 and China Dragon as recently as 2007—it underwent a transformation as a Mid City sports bar and restaurant in recent years. According to city-parish officials, The 50 Yard Line had the building rezoned to accommodate a sports bar in October 2009; the building later became Changes Sports Bar and Restaurant, whose signage still remains on the property. In May 2012 the city-parish received a permit for a remodeling project at the building, which had been damaged by fire. Smith applied for a business permit on Dec. 4 and says she's awaiting approval from the parish Office of Alcoholic Beverage Control and Gaming Enforcement before moving forward. A notice on Smith's intent has been posted on the building by the ABC department. —Adam Pearson

Businessreport.com

This rennovation has been in the works for quite some time. Not sure if it can sustain this concept or not, but I really hope it is successful. A true sports bar would be a nice addition in that section of government street.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Congrats to the BR Forum for reaching 16,000 post!

This looks like it could be pretty cool...even if it's only temporary...for now?? I like the only comment below by DMJ...

Building Blocks....Project to Demonstrate a Better Government Street

For one weekend in April, Baton Rouge will have a chance to experience Government Street — or a few blocks of it, at least — the way planners and midcity merchants and residents have long felt it should be.

Better Block BR is a demonstration project that will bring the road down to one lane in each direction and a center turn lane just west of Acadian Thruway. It also will introduce slower traffic, better crosswalks, bicycle lanes and shops up close to the street with café seating

*rest of long article

http://theadvocate.com/news/business/5561068-123/building-blocks

Edited by richyb83

Congrats to the BR Forum for reaching 16,000 post!

This looks like it could be pretty cool...even if it's only temporary...for now?? I like the only comment below by DMJ...

Building Blocks....Project to Demonstrate a Better Government Street

For one weekend in April, Baton Rouge will have a chance to experience Government Street — or a few blocks of it, at least — the way planners and midcity merchants and residents have long felt it should be.

Better Block BR is a demonstration project that will bring the road down to one lane in each direction and a center turn lane just west of Acadian Thruway. It also will introduce slower traffic, better crosswalks, bicycle lanes and shops up close to the street with café seating

*rest of long article

http://theadvocate.com/news/business/5561068-123/building-blocks

DMJ always leaves the best comments. 

Unfortunately right now, there is a disconnect between the UDC, FutureBR, developers, and potential tenants. I have designed several build-to-suit projects for Government Street, which falls under an overlay district requiring parking to be in the rear or side with the building along the front of the street. Yet, three times now, these project have fallen through because the developer or potential tenant refuses to locate to an area where their parking will not be located at the front of the store. So currently, the UDC is hindering development, even though, long term, if everyone followed the UDC development requirements, it would benefit the entire corridor. 

I hope the BetterBlocks demonstration is a success, I'll be there, I hope everyone else can stop by as well. 

• Like 1

That's cool Buckett!    This should be interesting to watch unfold...must be frustrating to see potential tenants refuse to locate for that reason...would like to check it out that weekend...try to fit it in tight schedule....

It would be cool for DMJ to join UP...lol

• Like 1

It's not going to work without street parking. I urge everyone attending to demand street parking and bend the surface parking requirements for new businesses. It's counter productive to have those requirements when Florida Blvd is just a few blocks to the north.

That's the easiest way to get people walking. It sounds crazy, but the parked cars provide a barrier that attracts pedestrians. Bike lanes don't, and cyclists can use the traffic lanes if the cars are moving at a reasonable speed.

That's key for Governmet street. It also reduces the incentive for businesses to rely on surface parking and has a traffic calming effect. We all want to see this work. I hope they come out with good solutions....as I have demonstrated before, there is enough existing right of way for street parking, bike lanes, generous sidewalks, and a turn lane at intersections. It really only needs minimal work beyond re-striped pavement. Truck and business traffic can be routed up Florida or North Blvd.

The turn lanes are only needed signaled and major intersections. If anyone goes to the meeting, please bring up street parking. Tell them Cajun says it is needed. They'll likely go right with it then. ;)

I want another Magazine street there....not another Metarie road or Perkins road.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

Nice article in the April edition of 225 Magazine....Magazine Street was mentioned along with Champs-Elysees in NOLA & Little Five Points in Atlanta

The block rockin' beat

Better Block BR will envision a new Government Street  

So, ready to honk your horn in anger? Simmer down, because traffic can slow a bit on an avenue here and there without huge traffic implications.

And here's an urban planning factoid: The best districts in the world don't necessarily extend for mile after mile.

“You can think of any great place you love. It's probably not more than a block in size,” explains Dallas-based Jason Roberts, the father of the Better Block movement.

*rest of article

http://225dine.225batonrouge.com/The_block_rockin_beat#ixzz2PYTE51wh

EP-303249986.jpg?q=100&maxw=300

Anyone there notice if traffic backed up? I've been trying to find pics online. I sincerely hope Government can be updated soon.

Mid city has done so well lately....I'd like to see this low cost improvement pushed.

Edited by cajun

• 2 weeks later...

Professional athletes team up to buy Mid City building

Baton Rouge native and former NFL player Anthony Kimble, now a business consultant, has acquired the building at 4242 Government St., along with former LSU athlete Tyrus Thomas, and plans to turn the property into shared space for artists, architects and other creative professionals. "This has been a dream of mine since moving back to Baton Rouge last year," says Kimble, who played for the New York Jets and went to high school at LSU Lab. "We want to really focus on developing shared creative space for artists in the community, and this is the perfect neighborhood for the type of tenant we want to attract." Joining Kimble and Thomas—who is currently with the NBA's Charlotte Bobcats—in the venture is Glen "Big Baby" Davis, also a former LSU basketball star, now with the Orlando Magic. Though Davis will not have an ownership stake in the building, he will be involved in its redevelopment with his two high-school buddies. Already, the three have several shared business and charitable ventures together. The renovation of 4242 Government St., which Kimble and Thomas acquired Monday for $400,000 from the owners of the soon-to-be-shuttered Bible and Book Center, is their latest endeavor. Kimble says the renovation should take about six months and says the space should be ready by the end of the year. In addition to several creative suites, the building will house Kimble's consulting business, Aoot Branding & Management, as well as foundations that both Thomas and Davis have created to help inner-city youth. Says Kimble: "We want to be part of moving Baton Rouge forward." —Stephanie Riegel

Read more from Business Report here: http://businessreport.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=daily-reportAM&date=20130430&utm_source=contactology&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=DailyReportAM#Professional_athletes_team#ixzz2RxhSgqGN

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting that pm_arch...

Change is Coming A combination of public and private investment and creative energy is about to transform mid-city Government Street

Ever since it was carved out as a pre-industrial transportation route, Government Street – the rough-edged and varied corridor that runs the length of mid-city Baton Rouge – has remained an ever-changing and important element of the city’s identity. In Baton Rouge’s early days, residents used the road to gather and deliver moss to a mattress factory operating on Main Street. Later, in the mid 1800s, horse racing fans flocked to a huge grandstand at Magnolia Racetrack, which loomed over what is now the intersection of Government and Park. As horses gave way to automobiles, the road became one of the major auto routes feeding into downtown and the Mississippi River.

Today it’s a street that is among the most diverse in the city – an eclectic and often untidy mix of residential and commercial, black and white, affluent and underprivileged. Pocked with potholes and lined with more than a few abandoned or deteriorating buildings – particularly in the area between Park Boulevard and South Foster Drive – the corridor hasn’t graced any tourism brochures for some time.

Despite – and perhaps fueled by – these notable blemishes, public agencies like the city-parish government and private groups like Better Block BR have focused their attention on Government Street as one of the city’s best chances to create an urban setting friendly to pedestrians, bikers and creative types.

All that planning and meeting appears to finally be paying off through a series of new proposals and projects of varying sizes and stages. The projects have the potential to reshape significant areas of the mid-city landscape – and how local residents use the area

*Rest of article*

http://digbatonrouge.com/article/change-is-coming-6735/

7qJ3x46xEChXaScY4gMlKUlUDJXQsToM.jpg

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

Good article Richy. Thanks for posting!

I have high hopes for that area....hopefully someone in power comes across my posts about the street layout.

I really can't stress the importance of this area to the long term viability of Baton Rouge, as a functional city.

Edited by cajun

Im working on four projects on Government right now, none of which are covered in the article. Two are new construction, one a tenant build out  and the fourth is hard to describe with out revealing the project, but lets call it a private streetscape improvement. There is a lot of momentum along this corridor.  

• Like 4