Mid City

richyb83

Center turn lanes have made my life easier on many occasions. They're a bit scary on a road like Seigen, but they're very helpful (imo) on smaller streets when you're simply trying to keep left turns from stopping traffic flow. 

Not to mention quite ugly for a street like Government.But I agree, very helpful in right conditions.

I think the lane on Seigen creates much more hassle than anything.

Not to mention quite ugly for a street like Government.But I agree, very helpful in right conditions.

I think the lane on Seigen creates much more hassle than anything.

It's a lane of asphalt between two other lanes of of asphalt. It's not like we're ever going to get a lush, green median on Government. Ah well, to each their own. 

Anyway, I think we can agree that people will (hopefully) eventually be too distracted by the vibrancy of the neighborhood to be bothered by a center turn lane. If we get one, that is. 

Edited by garrett_225

But with a center turn lane, how is the "get out of your car and walk" message getting across when we give people an option to drive from business to business using the center turn lane. I'm not even sure why it would be needed.

Government is still an artery that provides downtown with easy access to labor markets in residential areas to the east, and many of the businesses along that route will always have parking lots. There are a lot of left turns on that stretch that currently block the left hand lane and create a dangerous situation for drivers. I actually think a center turn lane combined with street parking would solve both pedestrian problems and traffic problems with one project. Right now there is 52' of pavement in most places. 16'-18' for two parking lanes, 22' for two (narrower) travel lanes, and one 12' center turn lane.....fits pretty well unless the pavement width drops to 48' in too many places, which will require adjustments to the curb.

12' is really too narrow to have a landscaped median with anything other than smaller trees and shrubs, but it could work in some areas to calm traffic. It really depends on the nature of the traffic flow and the number of curb cuts for parking lots that exist. Doesn't have to be all one setup the whole way.

It's the street parking, crosswalks, well maintained sidewalks, and softer appearance of an asphalt road (instead of concrete) that will encourage pedestrians and sidewalk business. That will happen with or without a median strip. A landscaped median will look nicer, but the center turn lane will help keep traffic moving at critical hours.

The narrower 11' lanes will help calm traffic without draconian speed limits or countless stop lights.

An overlay district needs to be updated to require parking lots for new businesses to be located either on the side or in the rear, and rear parking should interconnect behind the buildings and include safe, well lit areas for service access.

We also need to remember that there are a lot of vacant spaces on this stretch that we want to see redeveloped. Forcing those new businesses to pay for a curb cut and tree mitigation in the median if they have a parking lot will only make it more expensive to start a business on that stretch.

If a landscaped median is desired, it should come later or be installed only on blocks where developments don't have surface parking access to Government street.

Edited by cajun

But with a center turn lane, how is the "get out of your car and walk" message getting across when we give people an option to drive from business to business using the center turn lane. I'm not even sure why it would be needed.

Because this is a city street we're talking about. Even with a re-imaging, it's reason for existing is to move traffic from one place to another. Otherwise we'd just turn it into a promenade of some sort. 

I think it's important to remember that this stretch probably won't be a destination shopping strip like Magazine Street. Businesses will have to depend on the support of Baton Rougeans, not tourists. They can't afford to limit their customer base to people who are willing and able to walk from destination to destination. 

It is possible to make Government friendly to walkers and drivers, and a center turn lane sounds like a good compromise. Helping traffic flow and also making businesses accessible to walkers and drivers alike.

Edited by garrett_225

Government is still an artery that provides downtown with easy access to labor markets in residential areas to the east, and many of the businesses along that route will always have parking lots. There are a lot of left turns on that stretch that currently block the left hand lane and create a dangerous situation for drivers. I actually think a center turn lane combined with street parking would solve both pedestrian problems and traffic problems with one project. Right now there is 52' of pavement in most places. 16'-18' for two parking lanes, 22' for two (narrower) travel lanes, and one 12' center turn lane.....fits pretty well unless the pavement width drops to 48' in too many places, which will require adjustments to the curb.

12' is really too narrow to have a landscaped median with anything other than smaller trees and shrubs, but it could work in some areas to calm traffic. It really depends on the nature of the traffic flow and the number of curb cuts for parking lots that exist. Doesn't have to be all one setup the whole way.

It's the street parking, crosswalks, well maintained sidewalks, and softer appearance of an asphalt road (instead of concrete) that will encourage pedestrians and sidewalk business. That will happen with or without a median strip. A landscaped median will look nicer, but the center turn lane will help keep traffic moving at critical hours.

The narrower 11' lanes will help calm traffic without draconian speed limits or countless stop lights.

An overlay district needs to be updated to require parking lots for new businesses to be located either on the side or in the rear, and rear parking should interconnect behind the buildings and include safe, well lit areas for service access.

We also need to remember that there are a lot of vacant spaces on this stretch that we want to see redeveloped. Forcing those new businesses to pay for a curb cut and tree mitigation in the median if they have a parking lot will only make it more expensive to start a business on that stretch.

If a landscaped median is desired, it should come later or be installed only on blocks where developments don't have surface parking access to Government street.

Government St shouldn't function as it does, that's what we have Florida for, IMO. There aren't that many business that require left turns along the stretch. You have the areas right around Acadian and Foster than are more suburban than I'd like, I don't think there's much of a need for a center lane much of the way. (that's why I'm not an engineer!)

Because this is a city street we're talking about. Even with a re-imaging, it's reason for existing is to move traffic from one place to another. Otherwise we'd just turn it into a promenade of some sort. 

I think it's important to remember that this stretch probably won't be a destination shopping strip like Magazine Street. Businesses will have to depend on the support of Baton Rougeans, not tourists. They can't afford to limit their customer base to people who are willing and able to walk from destination to destination. 

It is possible to make Government friendly to walkers and drivers, and a center turn lane sounds like a good compromise. Helping traffic flow and also making businesses accessible to walkers and drivers alike.

The function of Government is to move traffic around it's neighborhood. Not to move people from downtown to Denham Springs, but it seems that's what alot of drivers use it for. People shouldn't be able to go 55mph on a street like that.

Tourists have nothing to do with supporting walkable areas. Look at downtown. People on Oak St, Uptown, aren't tourists yet they support the heck out of those businesses along that small street.

Thinking about Government, what if the city bought up a bunch of property there , built mid rise blocks, and then sold them out to tenants...Ala Austin. I think it could speed up redevelopment there and maybe add some density to the mid-city skyline.

Oh no. I'd rather private here.

Government St shouldn't function as it does, that's what we have Florida for, IMO. There aren't that many business that require left turns along the stretch. You have the areas right around Acadian and Foster than are more suburban than I'd like, I don't think there's much of a need for a center lane much of the way. (that's why I'm not an engineer!)

The function of Government is to move traffic around it's neighborhood. Not to move people from downtown to Denham Springs, but it seems that's what alot of drivers use it for. People shouldn't be able to go 55mph on a street like that.

Tourists have nothing to do with supporting walkable areas. Look at downtown. People on Oak St, Uptown, aren't tourists yet they support the heck out of those businesses along that small street.

Oh no. I'd rather private here.

It becomes private, but a few places are built up to sell and serve as catalyst.

Thinking about Government, what if the city bought up a bunch of property there , built mid rise blocks, and then sold them out to tenants...Ala Austin. I think it could speed up redevelopment there and maybe add some density to the mid-city skyline.

Public housing doesn't usually help neighborhoods- and neither do large, empty buildings. This is a sticking point in the debate of the role of government.

I don't think the city should be in the business of developing anything. I think private corporations and individuals are better able to grasp the needs of the area and build what the public demands.

It's too easy for a landowner to vote himself a higher asking price and far to easy for the city to build something for which there is no demand. That goes way behind my comfort threshold for public spending. I think Baton Rouge would be better off providing tax breaks and TIF districts to encourage business and support the rework of Government street. Let the growth come more organically.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

Government Street happens to be a major route connecting Downtown BR to Jefferson. You can do things (such as reducing capacity on Governement) to encourage the use of North Boulevard for a bit of the cross-town traffic. I really don't think you are going to get a Government Street that isn't expected to assist in moving some amount of traffic across town. If we do just two-lanes, I'm picturing the Perkins Road Overpass Area nightmare all over again. 

Edited by garrett_225

Public housing doesn't usually help neighborhoods- and neither do large, empty buildings. This is a sticking point in the debate of the role of government.

I don't think the city should be in the business of developing anything. I think private corporations and individuals are better able to grasp the needs of the area and build what the public demands.

It's too easy for a landowner to vote himself a higher asking price and far to easy for the city to build something for which there is no demand. That goes way behind my comfort threshold for public spending. I think Baton Rouge would be better off providing tax breaks and TIF districts to encourage business and support the rework of Government street. Let the growth come more organically.

By government influence something like a light rail mixed use center could be built and sold to private companies to spark growth. Maybe three big catalyst projects on the street, whether it's the station or the road itself.

Government Street happens to be a major route connecting Downtown BR to Jefferson. You can do things (such as reducing capacity on Governement) to encourage the use of North Boulevard for a bit of the cross-town traffic. I really don't think you are going to get a Government Street that isn't expected to assist in moving some amount of traffic across town. If we do just two-lanes, I'm picturing the Perkins Road Overpass Area nightmare all over again. 

That's the point. As well as Florida.

If we want Government to be like Magazine St, pedestrians are going to have to have priority over automobiles.

What nightmare are you talking about?

What are we going to do if rail ever does down Government? People will just have to go around to go to Winn Dixie.

By government influence something like a light rail mixed use center could be built and sold to private companies to spark growth. Maybe three big catalyst projects on the street, whether it's the station or the road itself.

I used to like the idea of a big transit station at the corner of Government and Acadian, on the Westmoreland land. Government can and will build without proper demand, which does more harm than good. It soaks up the market, slowing down future investment to help infill, and expensive to maintain. I would much rather see private development for the most part.

If we want Government to be like Magazine St, pedestrians are going to have to have priority over automobiles.

What are we going to do if rail ever does down Government? People will just have to go around to go to Winn Dixie.

I used to like the idea of a big transit station at the corner of Government and Acadian, on the Westmoreland land. Government can and will build without proper demand, which does more harm than good. It soaks up the market, slowing down future investment to help infill, and expensive to maintain. I would much rather see private development for the most part.

The point is not to move all thru traffic off of Government. It is to encourage some use of currently underutilized alternate routes. I don't know of any part of the Government Street plans that call for total removal of thru traffic and exclusive dedication of the route to pedestrians and "neighborhood" traffic. 

Government differs from Magazine in that it does not have an abundance of East-West alternative routes. Government does not have the benefit of a perfect grid system to evenly distribute traffic. 

If you really need me to define the nightmare, you must not spend much time near the overpass during peak travel times. Go out there and time how long it takes to make a left turn out of a parking lot or side street...this is where our lack of appropriate grid in both areas makes "no left turns" a real hassle. If you can only go right, its not always as simple as going around the block. 

Simple solution for government...you have the ROW. Let there be a turn lane and make the area little more user friendly for automobiles and pedestrians alike. 

What if aliens invade or there's a zombie apocalypse? Let's plan for what we know is happening on Government for the foreseeable future, not some train that probably won't happen for a very long time, if at all. Besides, if you wanted to add a train, depending on where you want to place it, having a three lane set up wouldn't be a bad thing. It's perfectly acceptable for a streetcar to share the center lane with cars--especially if speed limits are low. Consider the inner-most lanes of N. Carrollton in New Orleans which share space with the streetcars. If it works there, it would certainly work for the smaller, lower speed Government we're advocating. 

In any case, I feel I've made my opinion clear and done this subject to death. So I'm putting my side to bed for now. 

Edited by garrett_225

I agree, I still think though the government should work with private companies to create key catalysts along government street. It worked in Austin and now those streets are leading a cultural revolution in the city. I could see the same in BR. 

The point is not to move all thru traffic off of Government. It is to encourage some use of currently underutilized alternate routes. I don't know of any part of the Government Street plans that call for total removal of thru traffic and exclusive dedication of the route to pedestrians and "neighborhood" traffic. 

Government differs from Magazine in that it does not have an abundance of East-West alternative routes. Government does not have the benefit of a perfect grid system to evenly distribute traffic. 

If you really need me to define the nightmare, you must not spend much time near the overpass during peak travel times. Go out there and time how long it takes to make a left turn out of a parking lot or side street...this is where our lack of appropriate grid in both areas makes "no left turns" a real hassle. If you can only go right, its not always as simple as going around the block. 

Simple solution for government...you have the ROW. Let there be a turn lane and make the area little more user friendly for automobiles and pedestrians alike. 

What if aliens invade or there's a zombie apocalypse? Let's plan for what we know is happening on Government for the foreseeable future, not some train that probably won't happen for a very long time, if at all. Besides, if you wanted to add a train, depending on where you want to place it, having a three lane set up wouldn't be a bad thing. It's perfectly acceptable for a streetcar to share the center lane with cars--especially if speed limits are low. Consider the inner-most lanes of N. Carrollton in New Orleans which share space with the streetcars. If it works there, it would certainly work for the smaller, lower speed Government we're advocating. 

In any case, I feel I've made my opinion clear and done this subject to death. So I'm putting my side to bed for now. 

That is not the point I'm trying to get across.

Government has plenty of options, some of them are currently broken. Alternatives include Florida, Convention, North Blvd, Myrtle Walk, Terrace, Broussard, Claycut, and even North St and Main St. Broken streets like Louisiana and America should be connected to establish a better grid.

I don't spend time there during rush hour, although that section of Perkins is different from Government. It doesn't lie within a network of grid streets that are parallel to said street to relieve congestion.

It's not acceptable to have a streetcar share a center turn lane where there are numerous cars stopping in the middle of the street to turn into a business.

That part of Carrolton and also Loyola don't operate as a center turn lane with lots of cross traffic.

That is not the point I'm trying to get across.

Government has plenty of options, some of them are currently broken. Alternatives include Florida, Convention, North Blvd, Myrtle Walk, Terrace, Broussard, Claycut, and even North St and Main St. Broken streets like Louisiana and America should be connected to establish a better grid.

I don't spend time there during rush hour, although that section of Perkins is different from Government. It doesn't lie within a network of grid streets that are parallel to said street to relieve congestion.

It's not acceptable to have a streetcar share a center turn lane where there are numerous cars stopping in the middle of the street to turn into a business.

That part of Carrolton and also Loyola don't operate as a center turn lane with lots of cross traffic.

You are so right  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

'Momentous' step taken in development of Model Block in Mid City

Architects Scott Ritter and Steve Maher, along with developer Danny McGlynn, closed today on $1.68 million in loans that will enable them to move forward with their urban renewal plans for the 2900 block of Government Street in Mid City. The plan, known as Model Block, calls for rehabbing the entire block and renovating the vacant Darensbourg Building at the corner of Government and Bedford Drive, which will become the new offices of Ritter Maher Architects. Plans also call for redoing the streetscape, increasing security and lighting, and improving the facades of neighboring buildings, including those home to the Atomic Pop Shop and Liberty Tax Service, among others.

IBERIABANK provided conventional financing for the deal, while the East Baton Rouge Redevelopment Authority made available gap financing so the project could get started. "This deal could not have been done without cooperation from the RDA," says Ritter. "They have been patient and helpful as we have tried to close this thing. Momentous is the term I would use to describe closing the loan." Construction should begin on the Darensbourg building in the next three weeks and Ritter Maher hopes to be in their new location by the end of the year. Meanwhile, McGlynn continues to work on another nearby project in Mid City—the expansion of the Circa 1857 complex, where he wants to develop live/work spaces for artists and new retail space. He is still awaiting word on $10 million in New Market Tax Credits he needs and is negotiating for conventional financing as well. "Model Block was easier to get financed because it is owner-occupied with Ritter Maher moving in," he says. "Circa is hard because it's speculative real estate. It's maddening." —Stephanie Riegel

http://www.businessreport.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=daily-reportPM&date=20140402

• Like 1

RDA eyes 30 acres between downtown, Mid City for next big redevelopment effort

The East Baton Rouge Redevelopment Authority will request funds from the state to begin planning the large-scale redevelopment of a 30-acre site between downtown and Mid City, anchored by the former Entergy property that's located in the center of the site. The RDA, which acquired the Entergy property late last year, wants to turn the 6.2-acre property into a mixed-use development with, possibly, a railway station that would service a passenger train line between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. "If you look at that area and you look at the catalytic project that can happen at the Entergy site, whether we have a train station there or not, there's a tremendous amount of potential there," says Walter Monsour, president and CEO of the RDA. "We want to look into what we can do to spread the redevelopment catalyst out from there." Monsour says the 30-acre area is bordered by Interstate 110, North Boulevard, 19th and Government streets. "It's a large area, and we want to do some serious planning, a housing assessment and other studies to determine what should go there, what is needed and what is sustainable," he says. The RDA will begin putting a grant application together next week seeking an estimated $500,000 from the Louisiana Office of Community Development's Disaster Recovery Unit. "There are still some Gustav and Isaac funds available for planning," says Monsour, noting that areas within the 30-acre site were damaged by the 2008 and 2012 hurricanes. —Stephanie Riegel

http://businessreport.com/article/20140403/BUSINESSREPORT0112/140409889

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

This was hijacked from the Mid City thread started years ago discussing this project...bringing it back :thumbsup:

Redevelopment of Mid City shops along Government Street underway

While the official redesign of Government Street may still be in the planning phase, office and retail redevelopment along the street is fully underway.

*Rest of article

http://www.businessreport.com/article/20140604/BUSINESSREPORT0112/140609927

L_GovernmentDesignOverlay_1.png

• Like 1