John E

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Projection initiative could spotlight art onto downtown buildings

Rapid Growth Media Article:

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/developmen...allart0212.aspx

~John

I would love to see this but I have to wonder how it could move forward. I mean, this is the same city that threw a conniption regarding the projections on the side of Devos Place regarding the shows that were taking place inside (RV Show, Golf Show, Auto Show, etc.) However, in that case I believe sanity prevailed and it was allowed to continue. This is the type of stuff that would help make downtown "cool".

:good:

I can't wait! Brian, if you make this happen, you will be my hero! :)

EDIT: Thinking about it, this plan is brilliant because if done well, once it's up and running it will require almost no budget to upkeep. It will just need some people's time to sort through and select work submitted by local artists.

To see the first one, check out the Heartside Pre-Glow Party at the EQ3 building tomorrow night, starting at 5:00. Open to everyone.

It sounds like the City has made almost a complete 180 on lighting and projecting downtown. Obviously they want to review everything, but they have come to realize it will make downtown more vibrant.

preface: I'm a fan of this project, maybe not as a permanent fixture, but as something cool and different

EDIT: Thinking about it, this plan is brilliant because if done well, once it's up and running it will require almost no budget to upkeep.

Really?

Are the projectors plugged in?

Has anyone ever not needed maintenance done on any of their electronic equipment?

preface: I'm a fan of this project, maybe not as a permanent fixture, but as something cool and different

Really?

Are the projectors plugged in?

Has anyone ever not needed maintenance done on any of their electronic equipment?

Well, that's why it's important to make sure that the projectors are sealed and installed so that they are properly protected from the elements. The electricity to run them a few hours each night must be taken into consideration, but it doesn't seem like this would be a huge bill. But, I'll admit I could be underestimating this cost.

So, I looked into it a little more. The projectors they use at the Wealthy Theater are here: http://www.aboutprojectors.com/Christie-LX45-projector.html They use 465W of power, which, according to Michael Bluejay's handy calculator ( http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/howmuch.html ), at $.12/kWh, run 4 hours a day (longer in winter, shorter in summer, obviously), 365 days a year would be about $6.16/month or $74/year. Multiply that by 10 and it's not a small cost, but not a huge one either. It's less than a lot of people pay for their cell phone service each year. The lamps are rated at 1000 hours, which using the same 4 hrs/day assumption puts them at a 250/day lifespan. They're about $400/lamp. So that would be another cost to consider. I'm guessing for a use like this, you could purchase projectors with a longer expected lamp life.

I'm sure Brian has, or will have, someone figuring this stuff out. :)

I will retract my "they won't cost anything statement" to say "the coolness potential/cost of maintenance ratio is very high for this project"

Well, that's why it's important to make sure that the projectors are sealed and installed so that they are properly protected from the elements. The electricity to run them a few hours each night must be taken into consideration, but it doesn't seem like this would be a huge bill. But, I'll admit I could be underestimating this cost.

So, I looked into it a little more. The projectors they use at the Wealthy Theater are here: http://www.aboutprojectors.com/Christie-LX45-projector.html They use 465W of power, which, according to Michael Bluejay's handy calculator ( http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/howmuch.html ), at $.12/kWh, run 4 hours a day (longer in winter, shorter in summer, obviously), 365 days a year would be about $6.16/month or $74/year. Multiply that by 10 and it's not a small cost, but not a huge one either. It's less than a lot of people pay for their cell phone service each year. The lamps are rated at 1000 hours, which using the same 4 hrs/day assumption puts them at a 250/day lifespan. They're about $400/lamp. So that would be another cost to consider. I'm guessing for a use like this, you could purchase projectors with a longer expected lamp life.

I'm sure Brian has, or will have, someone figuring this stuff out. :)

I will retract my "they won't cost anything statement" to say "the coolness potential/cost of maintenance ratio is very high for this project"

I think it's quite a bit more expensive than that. And don't forget the cost of the talent who has to put it together and run it.

There are two buildings in "The Rocks" area of Sydney, Australia that light up with projection screens all night long. This is one of them. It is VERY cool in person. Imagine the possibilities. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAMoUVx0m5k

Joe

Yowzers! That pinball projection in the related videos just blew my mind. Imagine how awesome something like that would be downtown.

I would love to see this but I have to wonder how it could move forward. I mean, this is the same city that threw a conniption regarding the projections on the side of Devos Place regarding the shows that were taking place inside (RV Show, Golf Show, Auto Show, etc.) However, in that case I believe sanity prevailed and it was allowed to continue. This is the type of stuff that would help make downtown "cool".

:good:

FYI, I was at the event tonight and saw several City officials enjoying their evening. You'd hope tonight's Locus/Kelly party will help show the City how this type of art has value.

The event on Thursday was packed...thanks to everyone that came out...what a blast! Locus sure knows how to throw a party! I hope all future groundbreakings will feature great food/beer, fantastic Heartside artists, DJ's and short films...no more shovels and dirt! :thumbsup:

Also...the first sample projection was done with a rental projector that didn't quite have the horsepower needed to keep the film really bright when it was spread across the entire parking ramp wall...so we projected it a bit smaller so it had sufficient brightness. That said, all permanent sites are going to have projectors that can really light it up! :tough:

That said...it was still extremely cool to see the first projection. I'll have my own video footage up later today. The good news is that there were many city officials, heads of major foundations and private individuals at the event and they are extremely excited about what they saw.

The next steps are to finish selecting the best projection/technology system, obtain accurate costs/bids and then begin submitting for grants as well as solicit private funds.

I finally got found time to dig up the photos I had from Sydney (the one building appears in the Rapid Growth video with the guys climbing in the windows). It shows how interesting they can make things (both of the examples are buildings, but I'm sure walls would work well too :)).

This building:

3295402699_82665718b6.jpg

is the same as this one (stayed on the same artwork for 3-5 minutes):

3295402899_587745a2e1.jpg

(as you can tell it was Christmas time).

And this is the building you see in the videos. I was using my iPhone so sorry for the crazy light:

3296227214_78c62f3a43.jpg

3295402735_0f39280ca4.jpg

3296227376_d8f3eaa38d.jpg

Just some examples of what could be done.

Joe

Just a quick update...I've had several really great meetings and although these are challenging times economically, I've come away very encouraged that this project will become a reality later in the year.

I've also been bombarded (in a great way) with many ideas and suggestions from artists and stakeholders downtown...as well as people working within the City.

I'll post more as we go along...thanks UP!!

Archived